Welfare security

Guest spock

Guest spock

Does anyone know if there are any safeguards for keeping you afloat in case you get maimed etc and are unable to work? Seems a bit grim, but you ahve to consider these things.

Spock.

Guest jonseywife

Blimey Spock....

Its a bit early in the morning for all that, Im depressed enough already!!! :eek:

But I would still be interested to know.... my hubby's in the building trade and accidents do happen!

Thanks, I'll watch this space ............

Guest fatpom
Does anyone know if there are any safeguards for keeping you afloat in case you get maimed etc and are unable to work? Seems a bit grim, but you ahve to consider these things.

Spock.

Speaking from personal experience you're on your own I'm afraid for the first two years (as it was then). You have to take your chances & hope.

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day

If you are at work and you're an employee, you are covered by Workers Compensation. Workers Comp will usually pay for your treatment and rehabilition and your wages while you're off work. If it is a serious injury they they will stop paying wages after a while and there is usually a payout for various injuries like loss of one or more limbs, loss of an eye etc.

If you are at work and you are a subbie or self-employed contractor then it comes down to the Workers Comp policy that YOU took out as your own employer. This is why subbies get paid more - they agree to take on their own insurances provision for sick leave, etc.

If the accident happens away from work, and you are on temporary visa - then you're on your own and probably would be best off going "home". If you have a permanent visa and have been here for the qualifying period or longer then you are reliant on the Dept of Social Security giving you a disability pension.

What a cheerful way to start the day.

Bob in Bull Creek

Mortgage Broker

Guest dean&shell

personal insurance would give you peace of mind . (you could be run over tomorrow do you stop crossing the road ):laugh:

Guest spock

Hi folks,

Thanks for this. It is a bit morbid, but it's best to know what the situation is.

It's not about not doing things, it's about making sure that my family will be OK if something unfortunate should happen.

I'm a glass is half full person, but I want a bucket in case the glass breaks! lol

Spock.

Archived