Renting in Melbourne

Guest Cool_Eyes

Guest Cool_Eyes

Does anyone know if you need any references to rent a house ? I don't have any rented references because I have owned my own house for a number of years ? What is it you need to bring with you in order to get one ?

Thanks

Guest Nelson

Like with most things when you are new to this country, anything you can do to "dress the skeleton" so to speak, will be worthwhile. We asked our family solicitor and a few professional friends to write character references and they seemed to carry a lot of weight. I also prepared a typed list of my specific requirements and added desirables at the bottom... The agents were very impressed by my organisation and I felt that this helped us too. You can also offer to pay a few months rent up front. The process is far less compicated here and there is an abundance of properties on offer at any one time.

Good luck with your quest!

• 3 weeks later...

We were lucky that our Daughter rented a place for us prior to our arrival. Usually 1 year is the minimum time you can rent (we wanted 6 months) and like Krista says it does help if you pay a few months rental in advance. Now our dillema is that we want to terminate our rental agreement 4 months early as our newly built house is almost completed.

The ONLY way you can get out of the agreement is for the Agents to try and re-let the property (or you find a new tenant yourself) - otherwise you are liable for rent until lease expiry. You are also lumbered with all advertising costs, etc. etc.

Cool eyes Want to take over our rental agreement ...................

Archived