Warning Blue Ringed Octopus Found at Carrum Beach

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi All

For those living in Melbourne I thought I would give you the heads up that a Blue Ringed Octopus has been found on Carrum Beach. I know they are a common occurance for other states but we do not usually see them in Victoria and therefore not many parents or children are aware of them. For all the new arrivals to Melbourne it may be worth reading up before you hit the beach during this weeks heatwave. Here is a link to a Queensland Fact Sheet: http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/inquiry/factsheets/blue_ring_octopus_20080709.pdf for those interested in the news article have a look here: Deadly blue-ringed octopus found at Carrum Beach | Herald Sun

Amazing little creatures; electric blue rings when they get excited and only the size of a 5 year old child's hand...But they pack such a wallop. Have come across many hundreds along the Australian coastline, usually where there are rockpools.

Quote from UKtoOZ..."Jeez, I like to wear flip flops when paddling in the sea anywhere in the world just in case I stand on something spiky. Can you buy chain mail suits in Oz??"

Another nasty chappie, even worse, really, is the stonefish. Even thongs (flip flops) are useless where these fish are concerned;

Reef Stonefish, Synanceia verrucosa

Again, they are usually encountered around rockpools, mainly along the Great Barrier Reef.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS on our morning walk yesterday, we came across 2 box jellyfish washed up in the tide mark.

• 1 month later...
Guest THE JONEZYS

Wouldn't worry too much about the blue ringed octopus...the shark that has been seen swimming in the shallows at Carrum will probably eat all of them!!:yes:

Guest The Pom Queen
Wouldn't worry too much about the blue ringed octopus...the shark that has been seen swimming in the shallows at Carrum will probably eat all of them!!:yes:

Umm think you could be right lol:biglaugh:

Archived