Citizenship Residency Requirement

Guest Cam_Russ

Guest Cam_Russ

Hi to all,

i hope everyone is having a wonderful (if not cloudy) Australia Day. Well it's been a year now since my partner and I came to Oz (returned in my case!), and we have been looking into Citizenship requirements for my partner.

By all accounts, the residency requirement states that you must have been a resident in Oz for 4 yrs, including 12months as a permanent resident, and not more than 12 months outside Australia during the 4 years.

However, there seems to be a "Discretion" that can be applied for to waive this requirement. The wording of the particular "Discretion" is a little ambigous, so I was hoping to get some insight/opinions as to whether we could apply for this discretion.

Quote from form 1299i -

DISCRETIONS

You may apply for any of the discretions if you will be in Australia at the time your application will be decided. If you will be overseas during this period only discretions (5) and (6) are applicaple

(6) Periods spent outside by an Australian Permanent resident who is in an Interdependent Relationship with an Australian Citizen may be treated as periods in Australia if they had a close and continuing association with Australia during that period

Russ and I have been together for nearly 8 years (the last year of which he was an Australian Permanent resident), however, in the 7 years preceding arriving in Australia Permanently, Russ visited Australia annually with me to see my family. Thus, through me, maintained a very close relationship with Australia, and Australians..

Have we misunderstood this Discretion?

Has Anyone applied for Citizenship and been granted a residency discretion?

Does anyone know any more information about how the process would work??

All information greatly appreciated.

Happy Australia Day

Cam & Russ

I'd ring them up and ask them. My boss at work has been here since she was 4 years old, all her children were born here - but she's been told she still has to sit the citizenship test, she's 50 and lived more of her life here and can't even remember the UK. She thought she'd be able to get citizenship without a problem. I think they're really ambiguous so better to get it straight from the horses mouth.

Ali

Guest proud2beaussie

As I understand it ALL permanent residents,regardless of how long they have been in Australia are required to take the citizenship test when they apply to become a citizen,however as regards the residency requirements I do not have enough knowledge to comment

Archived