Where in Canberra - family location?

Guest J291B

Hi all -

We are looking at rentals in Canberra and are trying to work out locations. Work are suggesting Jerrabomberra which sounds nice enough although it is a little way out of the centre (and apparently NSW not ACT but I figure this is the best place to post).

My wife is wondering if there is 'enough' to do in Jerra with 2 little ones (2 1/2 yrs and 6 months). We mean things like parks, activity centres, mum & toddler groups, soft play areas, shopping basics etc . Or are we better off closer in, areas like inner south / north lyneham?

Grateful for any advice

J

Guest Hogsback

We have friends in Jerra, she says that a lot of Defence families live there and there's a nice community feel, plus rental prices are a lot cheaper so you can have a bigger garden - but in some ways she wishes she was closer to the centre - largely because she chose to send her children to Canberra Grammar school and would have preferred a shorter drive in the morning! But that said, nowhere in Canberra is far to drive to...you can get from one end of the city to the other in half an hour and you will need a car as everything is spread out and you really don't want to walk far in the heat of summer. Bear in mind that big gardens are a mixed blessing too, the lawns get parched and the ants bite! We agonised over where to live when we came and frankly I don't know why we worried, there are very few dodgy areas, driving is easy and so is parking, I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you end up. Good luck.

Archived