Midwifery In Adelaide! And IT!!! And Weather!

Guest BritishGlobeTrotterII

Guest BritishGlobeTrotterII

Hello Hello

We are regular stalkers of this site and although we thought that Perth was for us, we have done a bout face and looked at Adelaide. It is EVERYTHING that we could want, at least on paper...so that is where I hope that you knowledgable folks can help! We have afew questions and I am so sorry if they are a repitition of any previous posts here...

1) midwifery...are there jobs available?

2) how is the IT industry? Jobs?

3) weather...now we are sun-a-phobes....(so why would we want to move there, right????). We like the good weather and being outside but we avoid it during peak hours because of burning etc. We just read that 2 in 3 people in OZ will get skin cancer. BRUTAL! Is that because people are not listening to the safe sun advice or is it because ormal life just means exposure? Sounds crazy but a real factor for us. Are there clinic where one can pay to have annual checks of moles like they do here in the UK? How do schools approach safe sun???

4) the big one.....housing prices for a modest 4 bed, with a poo,l not far from the beach (cycling distance).

5) how hard is it to get a mortgage?

So, that is enough questions for now. I am so serious about this move and I need to convince my OH that life is good there and we could make a decent life!!! Thank you all!!!! PS we are going to do a recci in about 2 weeks!!!!

Guest tinbasher

Hello, hello right back at ya

Lots of questions, some I know more about than others so here goes:

1) Midwifery jobs-all I can say here is that I have spoken to a couple of people who have come over and have managed to get jobs in this field without any problems. Sorry not much help I know.

2) No idea but you can always keep an eye out by looking on this web-site

Job Search, Employment Information and Career Advice at careerone.com.au

3) My friend is a nurse and works in a skin clinc and her role is to scan peoples moles and check for abnormalities, yes you pay I can't remember how much she said it costs I will ask her next time I speak to her. Depending on the risk factor people have check ups according to their need, but most people go annually. She said that the only sun-cream that they find works really well is a sun-cream called Hamiltons. Funnily enough it is made in South Oz. We use it and it is excellent, I burn really easily and I haven't been burnt once since I started using it. As for schools-children are not allowed out without their hats especially in summer and they all have sun-cream readily available for the students. The primary schools manage to get the younger children to wear it easier than the teenagers. Also the schools have lots of shaded areas.

4) With regards to house prices try these links:

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au

Google Maps

The first link is to the realestate company everyone uses and the second one is a googlemap that will show you the suburbs, therefore you can type in the suburbs along the sea front into the realestate site and then look for what you want. Then I am sure people will help you with the areas. Although along the coast most areas are very nice and pricey. The further South you go the cheaper things are, alot of English families are moving around Christies beach and O'Sullivan beach. However you would need to think about where your jobs are as you wouldn't want to be spending hours getting to work. Adelaide is massive and if you are not careful you can get a job ages away from where you live. My hubbie used to travel an hour and half just to get from our house to his work. So he only looks at certain areas now when he's job hunting.

5) Mortgages.... If you have a permanent position it is not a problem, if you are casual employed then you can get mortgages easily but the paperwork you need to provide can be annoying. Mortgage brokers make the whole process easier, although it is sad to say that some of them push you towards companies because they get a better commission.

Right hope that all helps, have fun searching info on our wonderful city.

:rolleyes:

Mrs TinB

Archived