taking my guitar?

neilo

When I was a Pro musician, my guitars had to go via a different check in desk for fragile stuff. (didn't stop baggage handlers at the other end chucking them around though).

These days if you want the guitar to go with you in the cabin they'll more than likely make you buy a seat for it! lol

Phil

That's pricey!!!

Better be a good guitar then!!!!!

Nowadays with security, best to phone the airlines. There's an idea that if it's in a hardcase they'll make you check it, but in a soft case on your shoulder you maybe could take it with you?

If you find out let us know, Neilo.

Cheers.

Sue x

thanks all-has anyone just carried their guitar on as hand luggage? our 17 year old is leaving everything else behind and has asked to take this one thing-would like to say yes but dont want it thrown around and broken-that would be worse than leaving it !! or to pay a lot for a not very expensive guitar to go to oz!

Guest Bulldozersanddirt
whats the best way to get my guitar to oz safely! not having a container! hand luggage????:skeptical:thanks

Is it an acoustic or electric? My Strat came in the container, but I used to carry it all over the world when I worked as a travelling engineer. I taped the strings at the nut (top of the neck) and at the bridge end, loosened the tension on them all, removed the 4 screws that held the neck, wrapped the whole lot in bubble wrap or similar and taped the neck across the back of the body. I then carried it hand luggage, but it also survived wrapped in good cardboard on Aeroflot and Chinese CAAC (which is more than I can say for my oscilloscope...). It would also fit diagonally in my Delsey Club. My OH says that if this is your major problem, then you are well sorted or on some strong medication...! Hope all goes well.

You can take it on as hand luggage, but I would check it first. I've transported guitars onto a plane that didn't have a case and they just put it in the coat hanging area for first class and told me not to tell anyone. :) Smiling nicely also helps to put it in the right place, and apologizing for not having better accommodations, but let them know your guitar is very fragile. Most airlines work with you.

Archived