Where to start?

keith&ju

I've just joined PIO and have been looking through the forums.My partner and I are looking to move to Oz but don't really have a clue where to start.We are from the East Sussex coast at the moment if thats of any use to anyone(maybe someone close by is reading this and going through the same thing)I cleared the 120 point test so I guess I apply for a skilled visa.If there is anyone out there who can help me get the ball rolling Id be really glad. Keith

I've just joined PIO and have been looking through the forums.My partner and I are looking to move to Oz but don't really have a clue where to start.We are from the East Sussex coast at the moment if thats of any use to anyone(maybe someone close by is reading this and going through the same thing)I cleared the 120 point test so I guess I apply for a skilled visa.If there is anyone out there who can help me get the ball rolling Id be really glad. Keith

Hi Kieth,

Welcome to pio!

We started looking up agents through google and checked our points and o/h skills, once we were happy we submitted the interest, Agent emailed to say they would ring us in a couple of days! Which they did, we then had a informal chat regarding our options etc, We had time to think and then they rang us back to see if we wanted to go ahead, Which i can say happily we did, My o/h is a plumber and he takes his Vetassess practical in feb! Hope this helps a little.

Dawn

No i am still waiting for our visa, we have a court case on Friday, i'm hoping this will be the final hurdle and we shall have our visa granted after that. As for cost i would say at least £3,000 with using an agent, passing TRA, medicals and police checks, but not 100% sure how much, we have spent, as i have not really kept a check on it, we are a family of 6 aswell. We used Go-matilda you will find alot of people use these on this forum

Good luck

Tania X

I submitted my 176 visa on the 26 March 2008, when we first started the process our agent said it would take 4-6 months, but we didn't get our case officer until Oct 08, hopefully if the court goes in our favour i am hoping our visa will be granted next month. We started the ball rolling back in May 07 with seeing if we had enough points etc getting through TRA for hairdressing (my skill) then i failed it and had to submit more info, then i had to get my state sponsorship for Victoria, then our visa was finally submitted. I'm sure some other visas are much simpler than ours, so don't be put off, just hang in there. The forum helps to keep you sane in the mean time

Tania X

Guest peteandnikki

Hi guys, we are also on the southcoast in worthing, well for a short time as we have just received our permanant t visa granted,and we are off to sydney, so if we can help just ask

p and n

You lucky things.We're in Brighton.Not quite Sydney.Was there last year.What an amazing place!How long has it taken for you guys to get your visa?And how much?I work in the communications industry(60pts).Did you get sponsored or have you got skilled visa??Have you got a job to go to out there?Accomodation??Sorry for all the questions.All answers gratefully received

Guest michelle in Havant

Hi Keith

Welcome to PIO

We originally used an agent called workpermit.com who I would not reccomend!!!!

We are now using a registered migration agent called Cheryl Bird, who has been absolutely fantastic!!!

It is up to you whether you decide to use an agent for your trade recognition/visa application obviously you do have to pay a fee, quite a few people on here have done it by themselves no problems. What I would say though is that if any problems do crop up a good agent is worth their weight in gold, and with all the changes the government seem to be making with regard to visa applications at the mo, it would be worth considering using an agent.

It feels like we have been at this forever now but we originally started in June 2007, but just as we were about to submit my husbands application to the TRA they removed Pathway D (which meant he couldn't use his work experience for the trade recognition), as we had to get all the information together with regard to his apprenticeship we ended up not applying for this until January 2008. Our main visa application was submitted in April 2008 and due to problems with application lodged by original agent (long story) we had to apply for state sponsorship, we received a case officer at the beginning of December and our ACT sponsorship last week, so we are just waiting for the visa now!!!! As you can see the whole process can take some time so be prepared to do a lot of waiting!!!!!!!!!!!

So far the whole process has probably cost us in the region of £3000-£3500, this includes agents fees, medicals, document certification and application for ACT sponsorship (we are a family of 5).

Sorry to waffle on but I wanted to try and give you a rough idea of time frames/costs etc!

Good luck with it all.

michelle x

Thanks for that Michelle.Of the £3500 that you've probably paid,at a guess,how much did you have to pay at the start of the whole thing?Weren't you worried about losing the money?Or did you know you would get the visa with your points score?When you get your visa granted,is there an expiry date,sort of thing, on it.

Guest michelle in Havant
Thanks for that Michelle.Of the £3500 that you've probably paid,at a guess,how much did you have to pay at the start of the whole thing?Weren't you worried about losing the money?Or did you know you would get the visa with your points score?When you get your visa granted,is there an expiry date,sort of thing, on it.

We paid £1450 to the original agent to get the ball rolling, the skills assessment was approx £250 and the visa was £950 (this will vary due to exchange rate). We didn't pay for the medicals, xrays and police checks till we had them done in September 08. We were worried, but were assured that we had enough points (this turned out not to be true) hence the new agent! We decided that we could sit around wondering what if or take the risk and do everyhting in our power to make our dream come true (So far we have had to work really hard at it!!!), Fingers crossed we will get the visa, we are just waiting for co to make her decision!!!:arghh:

When your visa is granted you have a year from the date of your medical/police cert (whichever expires first) to enter Australia and validate your visa.

michelle x

Guest michelle in Havant
Hi guys, we are also on the southcoast in worthing, well for a short time as we have just received our permanant t visa granted,and we are off to sydney, so if we can help just ask

p and n

Hi and welcome to PIO!!!!!!

Congratulations on the visa and good luck with the big move!

michelle x

Guest peteandnikki
You lucky things.We're in Brighton.Not quite Sydney.Was there last year.What an amazing place!How long has it taken for you guys to get your visa?And how much?I work in the communications industry(60pts).Did you get sponsored or have you got skilled visa??Have you got a job to go to out there?Accomodation??Sorry for all the questions.All answers gratefully received

Hi keith, well firstly good luck, I think you are doing the right thing asking loads of questions and getting various answers.

Firstly we started our application process after our job hunting holiday last april, we then got job offers, next we waited for the labour agreement/ and contacts. We decided to do all the paperwork ourself, as we were quoted £3k for an agent, and my O/H had a friend who,s agent let her down.

So methodical was the word of the day, took each page one at a time, gathered the information. We then booked our medicals at Chichester Medical centre with xrays at the hospital on the same day, we opted for everything by courier slightly more expensive but at least we could follow their progress to oz. Next came an estimate for removal, boy thats a big E. get lots of quotes and help on what to take. We finally submitted the pack just before xmas, we had a reply from our case officer via email, requesting some further information ( I made an error) it was easy to solve. Heard nothing for a week, and then yipee Granted, we finally last week sent off the passports which arrive back yesterday. So really it was about six month start to finish. The only thing to be careful of is the incidentals (costs i mean) extra copies of police reports incase, xays, medicals, couriers services, solicitors/notary signatures on trade qualifications etc ( CERTIFIED COPIES) We are taking our dog with us, if your thinking of that add another 3k to your final bill. On a lighter side may be worth you looking at contracts that may offer assistence in removals expenses etc. Hope this has helped in some way, but please just ask regards pete

Thanks Michelle and Pete.Do speeding points and fines go against you on the police checks?Is it raining over in Worthing yet?When you say removal is a big 1,do you mean the cost of moving your stuff from here to OZ?What have you been quoted for moving your stuff?Have you got a leaving date yet Pete and how much longer have you got to go Michelle?Have you got accommodation sorted for when you get there Pete?

Guest michelle in Havant

As far as I know Keith although the speeding points and fines might show up on your police check, you should be alright as long as you declare them when you lodge your visa. I think they are more worried about serious crimes.

Our application is what they call decision ready (all documents submitted including meds/police checks and state sponsorship) as we had a case officer since the beginning of December, hopefully it could be any day now!!!!!!!!!!!!! The waiting drives you insane when you get to this stage.

Yes you're right it is the Australian Capital Territory. You can apply for state sponsorship if you are on their list of required skills. If they agree to sponsor you, you have to stay in that state for 2 years. If you go down the state sponsorship route you can apply for a 176 visa (which you don't need so many points for), and they are getting priority processing at the moment.

I see you said you are in telecoms. Is that mobile networks etc? If so ACT, Victoria and South Australia are all offering sponsorship for telecoms engineers at the mo (My husband is one).

michelle x

Guest peteandnikki

Hi keith, the removals, depending on container size and how much if any you would send airfrieght between 6-10k, but remember you may be without your furniture for upto 3 months. I agree with michele with regard the speeding points, i think there is a thread on PIO about it and may be just when surrendering/exchanging your licence.and yes it started here about 9 oclock. And we start the new jobs on the 15 june, so time to arrange tax files etc regards pete

Guest michelle in Havant

Only too happy to help. If you need anymore infor just give me a shout!

Good luck with it all!

michelle x

Archived