Teach in Australia

Guest catward2000

Guest catward2000

Any advice?

I've been teaching for 9 years but been at home for last 12 months with baby which affects visa application. Husband a HGV driver (not needed enough skills wise). What are the chances of me speeding up emmigration and finding a school or edcuation authority to sponsor me? Any comments appreciated.

Hi,

Not sure if I can help very much but I'll share my experiences with you. I'm a primary school teacher. I have been teaching for 8 years with no time off for good behaviour :biglaugh:

I applied for a skills assessment 2 years ago but failed. I had only completed 3 years at uni (I did a 3 yr BA with QTS). I had to go back to uni part time to get my masters in order to pass the skills. I got my positive skills in October. My first piece of advice to you is to check you have the equivalent of 4 years at uni.

I've not read anything or been able to find any info about schools or states sponsoring teachers. Although we are a skill in demand we are not on the MODL list (the big skills shortage that get fast-tracked!).

As for your husband, mine is in the same boat. He is a HGV Class 1 driver and is quite frustrated that his skill, although a shortage, is not on the in demand list. He also has to re-take tests in order to get an aussie HGV license.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but thought I'd have a go at sharing some of my knowledge with you. Feel free to ask more questions and I'll help if I can.

Remember, where there's a will, there's a way. Felicity:jiggy:

Guest catward2000

Thanks for reply, helpful. Just finished my MA which is good and my BA QTS WAS 4 years! Might have to be patient and go back to work here for 12 months! Did you use an agency to apply for visa and how long did it take? Where will husband retake tests?

Catriona

Hello Catriona,

I did the skills assessment myself as it was quite straight forward. I don't know what it's like now, a new agency took over in November (TeachingAustralia).

We are using an agent, Lee from The Emigration Group. Although the process seems quite straight forward we wanted to get it right first time so decided to invest in an agent. All in all the costs for this were about £2800.

The retaking of the HGV tests depends on where abouts you are heading. We're going to Melbourne and VicRoads don't actually do this but various companies and agencies do. I don't know about the other states but contacting their transport departments can help.

Glad to be of some assistance:yes:

Archived