Can anyone help?

emma&vas

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anybody can help me? I'm using an agent at the moment and am only in stage 1. They have now come back to me saying i have a chance of passing tra but they cannot garauntee.

They say my problem is that when i worked my first job (as a hairdresser) i have to prove that i was being trained the whole time i was there, which seems extreme since i had already been to college to gain my nvq.

I can get a reference off my boss for that job no problem saying that she trained me while i was there but now it seems that they think theres a chance i might not pass.

I have my level 3 and i have worked as a hairdresser for 5 and half years. Anybody elses see a problem with this?

Has any hairdressers out there passed the tra on their own and have any paper work they could email me to help me pass it on my own. It seems the agency has been a total waste of money so far.

Emma :arghh:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Emma

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Have you studied the DIAC & TRA websites yourself? If not:

Hairdresser 4931-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

workplace.gov.au - 1 Skills assessment for people intending to migrate to Australia

A third document is crucial to this, and it is here:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/FA0FD1E1-8B74-4C11-AFBB-2C159890FF80/0/UniformAssessmentCriteriaSeptember2007.pdf

Please see Sections 8 & 10 in particular. I suspect that the problem is that there is no evidence of a formal trade apprenticeship, which kicks using TRA Pathway A into the rough. I suspect that your Agents are wondering whether they can get you through Pathway B instead via your ex-employer saying that he was busily training you for 5 years. If you only have 5.5 years' experience in total, your Agents are right. This could potentially be very tricky and TRA might reject you.

My only criticism of your Agents so far is the nonsense of patronising the punter by making the arrogant and unsustainable assumption that the punter lacks the ability to read the source material and lacks the brains to comprehend what it says. Read the stuff to yourself out loud (which sounds crazy but I promise that it works. You will hear when you are phrasing it correctly and then the words will start to make sense. It is an old lawyers' technique and it works every time.)

There is undoubtedly a genuine problem here so your Agents are not letting you down, hon.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks so much for answering me!! I feel a bit more sorted after speaking to my agent today.

I'll explain to you my case to see what you think.

I have my level 3 in hairdressing. My first job i started off as a junior stylist, where i worked for 4 years while the boss trained me on a regular basis (obviously when i came from college i needed to gain alot more experience. I then went travelling for a couple of years where i did bits of hairdressing for myself.

I have now been working in a hairdressers for 1 and a half years as a stylist but training nights happen every so often. She now thinks this is a good case, but obviously they cant garauntee, but i could do with some reassurance!

What do you think? By the way my agent is go matilda.

Thank emma

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Emma

Go Matilda know more about TRA assessments for Hairdressers than almost any other Agency. I'm not a migration agent so I have no knowledge of what TRA might or might not accept in relation to a given hairdresser.

All that I can do is offer you the source documents to read.

Beyond that I simply don't know enough about how to present your case to TRA so it would be pointless for me to offer comment on the details of your work experience.

Good luck with it all, though.

Best wishes

Gill

Emma,

If it is any comfort, we at Go Matilda tend to be cautious with the stage 1 review - not least because we cannot guarantee a positive assessment (unfortunately the TRA assessment is carried out by human beings who almost certainly have no past experience of your occupation, and who operate within a system that has no external review process).

Also, our stage 1 review is intended to flag areas of risk in your application. If you think you can address them you should feel comfortable about proceeding. If you can't, discuss further with the Go Matilda person who did the stage 1 review, weigh up the risks, and then decide whether or not to go ahead.

Hope this helps.

Guest snow white
Emma,

If it is any comfort, we at Go Matilda tend to be cautious with the stage 1 review - not least because we cannot guarantee a positive assessment (unfortunately the TRA assessment is carried out by human beings who almost certainly have no past experience of your occupation, and who operate within a system that has no external review process).

Also, our stage 1 review is intended to flag areas of risk in your application. If you think you can address them you should feel comfortable about proceeding. If you can't, discuss further with the Go Matilda person who did the stage 1 review, weigh up the risks, and then decide whether or not to go ahead.

Hope this helps.

can you use your actual work experience while you are training to pass your nvq1,2 and 3 in hairdressing to pass your tra as so many years on the job experience??

lesley x

can you use your actual work experience while you are training to pass your nvq1,2 and 3 in hairdressing to pass your tra as so many years on the job experience??

lesley x

Hello Lesley.

Have a look at the requirements Skill Pathway B: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/FA0FD1E1-8B74-4C11-AFBB-2C159890FF80/0/UniformAssessmentCriteriaSeptember2007.pdf

In particular, at 10.2:

" ... the employment must meet the following conditions:

10.2.1. the apprentice completed on-the-job training under the direct supervision of a qualified tradesperson in the occupation or trade; and

10.2.2. successful completion of the informal apprenticeship has resulted in the person being recognised by an acceptable employer as a fully qualified tradesperson."

Best regards.

Guest snow white
Hello Lesley.

Have a look at the requirements Skill Pathway B: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/FA0FD1E1-8B74-4C11-AFBB-2C159890FF80/0/UniformAssessmentCriteriaSeptember2007.pdf

In particular, at 10.2:

" ... the employment must meet the following conditions:

10.2.1. the apprentice completed on-the-job training under the direct supervision of a qualified tradesperson in the occupation or trade; and

10.2.2. successful completion of the informal apprenticeship has resulted in the person being recognised by an acceptable employer as a fully qualified tradesperson."

Best regards.

thank you alan will take a look im still battling on trying to help her,

lesley

Guest snow white

i find all this info hard to work out and the fact someone can take 3 years to complete nvq 1, 2 and 3 then because they have not completed 900 hours training after all this that they cannot get a visa she will be 45 in march so she has no hope of getting in then unless the 900hours on the job training by qualified hairdresser who now considers her to be fully qualified hairdresser, god how do you get your head round it all in basic laymans terms

lesley

Guest snow white
That's why intending migrants ask people like us to help, Lesley ... :rolleyes:

Best regards.

lol i know , i know, but its me i keep thinking there must be a way some how and because she doesnt understand it all i try to make some sense of it all lol.

away to read up some more i guess

lesley :confused:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lesley

Chill, hon.

Is it possible that your friend could go out to Pivot Point in Melbourne, do an AQF III and be done with it, so as to circumvent potential problems with TRA? Might that be a way to solve it rather than fannying around worrying about how TRA might react?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Migration is a legal process - and the law is often not written in language that is easily understood by the lay person.

It is frequently also not understood by migration agents who are not legally trained either.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest snow white
Hi Lesley

Chill, hon.

Is it possible that your friend could go out to Pivot Point in Melbourne, do an AQF III and be done with it, so as to circumvent potential problems with TRA? Might that be a way to solve it rather than fannying around worrying about how TRA might react?

Best wishes

Gill

hi gill,

thank you for helping me out with some answers, im going to get her to email an agent to let them know exactly whats what and see if theres anything she can do to get here id rather she knew this is the chance she has or to give up there aint no way in for her even as a hairdresser.

she has helped us out a lot in the past and would really like to return the favour ,

thanks gill

lesley x

Guest AustralianTradeAssessment
Hi Lesley

Chill, hon.

Best wishes

Gill

Or you could consider doing an AQF III work place assessment with us in the UK. I think it would be much cheaper than flying to Melbourne, unless your friend is already there?

Guest snow white
Or you could consider doing an AQF III work place assessment with us in the UK. I think it would be much cheaper than flying to Melbourne, unless your friend is already there?

what is an aqf 111 and what does it give her?? and thank you for bothering to help me which is what being on this forum is all about isnt it ?????lesley x

Guest snow white
An AQF Certificate III can facilitate a migration skills assessment from TRA under their Skill Pathway E (see the link I provided earlier).

Best regards.

aqf certificateIII can be done in uk and in australia i will look into this and costs thank you

lesley

Yes it can.

I understand that Darren's company can assist with an assessment leading to a Cert III, as can Pivot Point (which is a Melbourne based company, and has representatives that attend the UK periodically for the same purpose).

Please remember that there are work experience requirements to be satisfied for the purpose of TRA Pathway E, and for the subsequent visa application.

Best regards.

Guest snow white

hi darren my friend is in the uk and fast approaching her 45th birthday, if there is a way to get her here i will gladly help we are on gold coast on a 136 visa she is not family and we have been here 18 months, she has completed her nvq 1, 2 and 3, and obviously while doing this trained in college she basically needs to find whatever chance she has of being able to get here

let me know what the best thing is to do for a hairdresser with only exam passes and her hours in salon training.

lesley

Guest AustralianTradeAssessment
hi darren my friend is in the uk and fast approaching her 45th birthday, if there is a way to get her here i will gladly help we are on gold coast on a 136 visa she is not family and we have been here 18 months, she has completed her nvq 1, 2 and 3, and obviously while doing this trained in college she basically needs to find whatever chance she has of being able to get here

let me know what the best thing is to do for a hairdresser with only exam passes and her hours in salon training.

lesley

Hi Snow White,

Although I am a migration agent, I do not take on clients. My business is geared around providing Australian Work Place Assessments (or AQF III's) to applicants. To gain this AQF III, it is very similar to the TRA process. Your friend will need to evidence at least 4 years work experience in the industry. She must then pass a written and practical test. As the application is very detailed, I whole heartedly recommend using an agent for this process. Ask your friend to contact someone like Alan Collett to get the application moving quickly.

Our next hairdressing assessments are being conducted in Scotland at the end of January. If your friend is in London or Birmingham, we can conduct the Assessment next week. If she is up in Manchester, then you are looking at the beginning of February.

Hope this helps.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Snow White,

Although I am a migration agent, I do not take on clients. My business is geared around providing Australian Work Place Assessments (or AQF III's) to applicants. To gain this AQF III, it is very similar to the TRA process. Your friend will need to evidence at least 4 years work experience in the industry. She must then pass a written and practical test. As the application is very detailed, I whole heartedly recommend using an agent for this process. Ask your friend to contact someone like Alan Collett to get the application moving quickly.

Our next hairdressing assessments are being conducted in Scotland at the end of January. If your friend is in London or Birmingham, we can conduct the Assessment next week. If she is up in Manchester, then you are looking at the beginning of February.

Hope this helps.

Hi Darren

The story I am hearing about your Hairdressing assessment is, frankly, alarming.

It is always entirely possible that the feedback I have heard is mistaken. That must be borne in mind.

However as reported to me the thing is not at all satisfactory either, my friend. The gist seems to be:

1. Fork out a lot of money up front despite no fixed date for the assessment.

2. Fork out another £1,000 - I beg your pardon? - on top for somebody associated with your company to help to put the whole thing together and get it through TRA????

3. A flakey suggestion that on some unspecified date the Hairdressing assessment will take place via some sort of video link instead of the assessors being in the UK in the flesh in accordance with the original promise.

I cannot support any of this, bluntly. If the person travels to Melbourne the whole thing will definitely happen and it will happen on the date which has been pre-set for it. There will be no queries about whether a video link arrangement is legally acceptable either.

Do you have PI insurance for your enterprise, please? Where is the client's money beng held pending an as-yet-to-be-arranged assessment? The whole thing is completely outside of the MARA's already incompetent and discredited remit so where are the safeguards for the consumer?

It is not good enough for the market as it stands currently if what I have been told is somewhere near true. It lacks credibility, my friend. Who, exactly, is in charge of assessing whether the prospective visa applicant is actually eligible for a visa in the first place provided that s/he shells out somewhat more than the amount originally under discussion? Right now, Pivot Point & Go Matilda sound safer to me.

By all means ring me and I will thrash this out with you. You have my number. However I will not endorse this without guaranteed consumer protection, my friend.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi snow white,

I was just wondering who you are? Are you an agent? Also i think i understand it all now, it seems that regardless of the nvq level 3, you have to of been trained under somebody at work for about 4 years. Which basically means that you have to of started as a junior stylist and worked your way up while being trained.

Hope this helps.

Archived