Criminal convictions

kdyer12

I may be over reacting as a result of my wife's paranioa and the way our CO has worded the email, but none the less it is now of grave concern.

We are going to melbourne on a 457 visa with my wife as the primary applicant. We intend to apply for PR on arrival.

Our application for the visa has been done on-line and has been a painless exercise really, we just uploaded the documents as requested.

I have a few convictions that go back over 22 years when I was drinking and taking drugs (I quit in 1985) and I declared them they were for theft and fighting (ABH). I offered to do a ACPO police clearance certificate at the time and was told this would not be required by DIAC.

I have a number of CRB certificates because I work with vulnuarble adults and children, actually hepling people seek treatment and support for addiction problems, so I offered to provide them but again I was told this is not required and only a police clearance is needed on the primary applicant.

I have checked the DIAC site regarding character issues and it seems to me that unless I was a terrorist or had been to jail, then it would be fine. The most punishment I received was probation for 2 years of which I did about 14 months.

Just before xmas the CO requested that I provide a ACPO police clearance certificate. This I did and it claery stated 'no live trace'. On checking the ACPO website it appears that my past offences have been 'stepped down' in other words there is no need for ACPO to disclose them.

We forwarded the certificate to the CO who has now informed us that she has forwarded this information to the manager for a decision.

the waiting is awful, we have sold our house and we are busy clearing out and getting estimates for removals.

PLEASE can some one assure me it is going to be ok and that we will be in Melbourne in February.

I have been totally honest with all concerned and I even have registration in the UK to manage residential childrens homes, in fact given the alcohol problems in some areas of Oz I have a great deal to offer!!

Ken:confused:

HI KYDER ...I HONESTLY CANT SEE YOU HAVING ANY PROBS .....THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE [O/H INCLUDED ] :policeman: WHO HAVE HAD PAST CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS ...AND HAVE SUCCESSFULLY BEEN GRANTED THEIR VISAS .....THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS THEY MAY ASK YOU TO PROVIDE THEM WITH A WRITTEN CHARACTER REFERENCE FOR YOURSELF AND IF YOU BASICALLY SAID WHAT YOU HAVE SAID IN YOUR POST [REFORMED CHARACTER] THEN YOU SHOULD BE OKAI ..... I CAN APPRECIATE IT IS A NAILBITING TIME BUT IMO I THINK YOU SHOULD BE OKAI ...GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST IN YOUR NEW LIFE DOWN UNDER

MRS KEILY

Archived