Can a family friend sponsor us...?

Ali&Paul

I was just wondering if a family friend can sponsor us to get over to oz?

Would this give us more points or does it need to be family? Also, if they could sponsor us, would we need to move to the same state as them?

Many Thanks for any advice xxx

Guest juliemtaylor

Family friend cannot sponsor you must be direct family for the 176 permanent sponsorship. See the immi website. You may want to look at the long thread about the implications of the new CSL list and the changes in priority processing order from the DIAC on here.

Julie x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ali & Paul

Reading your earlier posts it seems that you are a 27 year old Hairdresser and Paul is a 33 year old HGV driver.

The only way that a family friend could sponsor you for a visa is if the friend runs a fairly substantial Hairdressing business and is willing to offer you a job and a visa to go with it. Is that the case, please?

Have you made your rekky trip to Oz yet? If not, when are you planning to do so?

Have you investigated your eligibility for migration to Oz or are you planning to wait until after your rekky? If you are still planning a rekky, are you still planning to go to Sydney? The reason why I ask is that Sydney would not be a good bet for you visa-wise.

Since a substantial change in visa processing priorities came into effect on 1st January 2009, the best visa for you would now be a State Sponsored subclass 176 visa if possible. However not all of the States sponsor Hairdressers for this visa. You would do better to visit one or more of the States which currently do offer 176 sponsorships to Hairdressers.

Please see this extract from a reply I gave someone else on a different thread earlier:

However, Hairdresser is not on the 176 State Sponsorship List for QLD so you would have to be prepared to move to another State or Territory for your first two years in Australia. The following States currently offer to Sponsor Hairdressers for the 176 visa:

West Australia

South Australia

Northern Territory

Victoria *

Tasmania **

* Victoria will be publishing a new 176 Sponsorship List tomorrow, Monday 12th January, so if you are interested in VIC you would need to check whether Hairdresser is on the new List.

** Tasmania require a Hairdresser to sit the IELTS and s/he must have an overall band score of 7.5 or above.

Below is a link to all the State & Territory Migration websites:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

The QLD State Migration website is undergoing "reconstruction" and will not be back on line until 15th January

I would say that for you at the moment, a realistic choice would probably be either West Australia or South Australia. Houses are quite a bit cheaper in Adelaide than in Perth and for this reason Adelaide attracts quite a few young couples.

BBC iPlayer - BBC One - Monday 5th

Please click on the link above and watch last Monday's "Wanted Down Under" program tonight before they take it off line. The couple went to Adelaide very recently.

Meanwhile I will prepare a second reply to you.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Ali & Paul

On Tuesday last week Wanted Down Under went to Sydney, Melbourne on Wednesday and Darwin on Thursday. Apparently 20 families are involved in the latest series so it should run for another 3 weeks and should be available on BBC iPlayer as well. They don't show much footage of any of the destinations but it is better than nothing.

You Tube is good as well. Tell Google to find You Tube + Videos and then tell Vids to find videos of places in Oz which you think might interest you. They are only short vids, mostly amateur but some of them are quite good.

Additionally:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Each State has its own State Migration website and it is well worth studying in relation to any State that you think might interest you.

With regard to visas, please see the following links:

Hairdresser 4931-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

Best wishes

Gill

• 2 months later...
Hi Ali & Paul

Reading your earlier posts it seems that you are a 27 year old Hairdresser and Paul is a 33 year old HGV driver.

The only way that a family friend could sponsor you for a visa is if the friend runs a fairly substantial Hairdressing business and is willing to offer you a job and a visa to go with it. Is that the case, please?

Have you made your rekky trip to Oz yet? If not, when are you planning to do so?

Have you investigated your eligibility for migration to Oz or are you planning to wait until after your rekky? If you are still planning a rekky, are you still planning to go to Sydney? The reason why I ask is that Sydney would not be a good bet for you visa-wise.

Since a substantial change in visa processing priorities came into effect on 1st January 2009, the best visa for you would now be a State Sponsored subclass 176 visa if possible. However not all of the States sponsor Hairdressers for this visa. You would do better to visit one or more of the States which currently do offer 176 sponsorships to Hairdressers.

Please see this extract from a reply I gave someone else on a different thread earlier:

I would say that for you at the moment, a realistic choice would probably be either West Australia or South Australia. Houses are quite a bit cheaper in Adelaide than in Perth and for this reason Adelaide attracts quite a few young couples.

BBC iPlayer - BBC One - Monday 5th

Please click on the link above and watch last Monday's "Wanted Down Under" program tonight before they take it off line. The couple went to Adelaide very recently.

Meanwhile I will prepare a second reply to you.

Best wishes

Gill

Hey Gill, many thanks for the info. Thats us just back from Oz, we were based in Sydney but travelled to Goldcoast and Melbourne. I am just about to watch the link you sent for wanted down under altough we didnt make it to Adelaide sadly. Our friends in Sydney don't have a Hairdressing business unfortunately, one of them does have a concreteing business but I don't suppose that'll help! Lol. So, is a state sponsored visa our only way into Oz?

Thankyou for your advice,

Ali, x

Archived