Moving to Melbourne-any advice really appreciated!

Guest Soph and Ju

Guest Soph and Ju

This is my first time writing on here and I can say it's already been really useful reading other people's advice on different topics on here, really could do with some advice ourselves! We are a family of 3 : Sophie(26) Julian (33) and Elise (7 months).

Hoping to move to Melbourne but really dont have a clue wherebouts we ned to be looking! Julian is a plumber and will be looking for work straight away, any advice on any particular areas in Melbourne would be greatly appreciated.

Sophie and family

Sophie, Julian and Elise

Visa 175 ackl. 04/08/08

Medicals 06/01/09 Police checks sent 08/01/09

Still waiting for CO!

The Melbourne area is a huge area for instance where I live it takes me over an hour to get to the main airport using the freeways in light traffic. The distances are great. Three million people live in Melbourne and it sprawls.

So first thing is what you do you like doing?

Do you want to live in high density housing ie flat, town house or a unit?

Do you want a house with land new one or old one?

Do you need to be near public transport?

Do you want to be near the beach or inland or in the hills?

Would you live in Geelong a city just south of Melbourne

Will you both work and how long a commute would you be prepared to take.

New housing is mostly on the fringe of the city in out areas such as Pakenham, Berwick,Narre Warren, Langwarrin, Carrum Downs, Lyndhurst, Cranbourne, Mornington, Mount Martha areas south of the city.

Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes, Werribee, to the west of the city.

Also many new areas opening up to the north of the city but not near beaches. Melton and areas around there.

If you join Britvics forum as well as this one there will be a lot of people who can give you their experiences of living in different areas.

I live on the Mornington Peninsula in a small town which is actually built out now an there will not be a lot more building going on around here so the houses are mostly older houses for sale and smaller than the newer ones. However the land is bigger they are on is larger than the newer blocks

Have a look at this web site it may help you Cracker Classifieds - Cracker free ads & forums - find, sell or say anything! also realestate.com.au to have a look at houses in the areas I have mentioned.

Good luck we always need a plumber :notworthy:

Hi

If you PM me with your email, I have a 'Where to live in Melbourne' guide. It a bit old, but some really useful information.

We move to Melbourne in March.. So only 9 weeks to go... OMG

Kind Regards

Nomad

Guest the terry's

Hi guys,

Have you had a look at the 'Where to live in Melbourne' book? It tells you lots of different things from schooling to crime to the nearest station etc to you. If you would like a free copy pm me with your email address and I'll send it to you. My OH is a plumber and we have state sponsorship from Victoria so if you need any questions answered I'll try my best to help.

Helenx

Guest donovan

Hiya you could have a work with Kate @ moving2melbourne. she is a member on here and has helped lots of people relocate to Melbourne

Hope this helps

Sarah x

This is my first time writing on here and I can say it's already been really useful reading other people's advice on different topics on here, really could do with some advice ourselves! We are a family of 3 : Sophie(26) Julian (33) and Elise (7 months).

Hoping to move to Melbourne but really dont have a clue wherebouts we ned to be looking! Julian is a plumber and will be looking for work straight away, any advice on any particular areas in Melbourne would be greatly appreciated.

Sophie and family

Sophie, Julian and Elise

Visa 175 ackl. 04/08/08

Medicals 06/01/09 Police checks sent 08/01/09

Still waiting for CO!

If your husband want to work as a plumber in Victoria (or any part of australia) he will need to be registered. Just because his qualifications are accepted for migration doesnt mean he can begin work immediately. Please see attached information for the Plumbing Industry commission for assessment and license. I hope this saves you some time.

Overseas qualifications

Plumbing practitioners who have obtained plumbing qualifications from a country other than Australia, may be eligible for registration in Victoria in one or more classes of plumbing work.

A person arriving from overseas may also be eligible for licence in one or more class. However, as a local plumbing licence is underpinned by a knowledge of relevant local legislation and also by a knowledge of Australian Standards, it is rare that an overseas applicant will be immediately eligible for licence.

In some cases, we will grant an automatic registration and/or licence if you possess formal qualifications and appropriate practical experience. In other cases, you may be required to undertake an assessment /examination.

Eligibilty for a licence will normally be established by obtaining a 75 per cent pass in the Commission's relevant licence examination. Only plumbing practitioners who are eligible for full registration in a particular class of plumbing are eligible to attempt the licence examination for that class of plumbing.

To apply for accreditation from overseas, or if you have arrived from overseas:

1. Read the attatched information document; doc_logo.gifQERC Application Form (137KB)

2. Complete and provide the relevant application form with supporting documentation and application fee.

Regards

Peter

Guest Trina Findlay

I moved to Geelong (about an hour south of Melbourne) in May last year, and depending on what you want/need from your new life, I can recommend it. It's within easy reach of the city, but away from the hussle and bussle. It's only half an hour away from Avalon Airport, where you can get cheap internal flights all round Australia. I find it a great place to live - it's cheaper than Melbourne, and has countryside on its doorstep while not being isolated. Geelong itself has all the basic amenities - the city has a couple of good shopping centres, and while the beach is not exactly stunning, the bay is pretty enough (if you ignore the industrial Shell and Alcoa - aluminium - plants!), and it's only a stone's throw from Ocean Grove and other beautiful beach spots. A big plus is that it's less than an hour away from the start of the Great Ocean Road at Torquay - got to be one of the most beautiful areas of the country if you like the sea and stunning scenery!

As with most places I've been to in Oz, though, your own car would be a big bonus. Public transport is there - Geelong has a couple of train stations and of course buses - but the services nowhere near as frequent as, for example, London or any other big towns/cities in the UK, and depending on the suburb you move to, you could spend a lot of time waiting at bus stops!

The Victorian climate is also much more unpredictable than other parts of Australia. I was surprised at first, being used to the mild climate of Sydney from previous visits, when I first moved here. But the Crowded House song "Four Seasons in One Day" says it all!! Still much warmer than the UK of course!!

Archived