Hello

Guest wunderlust

Guest wunderlust

Well I guess I'm going to be the first to register here..someone has to start the ball rolling...., thanks Tim!

Just started to get my self together for applying to migrate to Oz from Bristol. I'm having a huge decision about where to move to, theres just so many places!. I think I have narrowed it down to Perth of Melbourne but is there anyone who could give me some good points or the bad about each location.

Laura

Guest Jojo

Perth and Melbourne....you couldn't have picked two more opposite Aussie cities.

Pros for Perth:

1. beautiful weather all year round

2. Less crowded than Melb

3. Real estate is much cheaper

4. Gorgeous beaches

5. very relaxed city (due to it's smaller size)

6. A good support network for Poms (there's heaps of

Poms in perth)

7. Shorter travel time from England to Perth (cheaper)

Cons for Perth:

1. isolated form the rest of the country

2. Too many Poms (just kidding)

pros for Melbourne:

1. On the East coast so convenient to travel to

Sydney, Tasmania, New Zealand.

2. Great restaurants and shopping

3 Big city so has all the "conveniences" of a large

city

4. has a great transport network

Cons for melbourne

1. The second most expensive city in Australia to

live (after Sydney)

2. Hot in summer ...freezing in winter

3. Also very unpredictable weather

4. rents and real estate is VERY expensive

Hope this helps a little

I've been in Sydney for 5 years. Used to live in Southampton

OZ is a really really big place. Many people love Perth but its closer to Singapore than it is to Sydney! You really are isolated. which can be good or bad. I find Sydney a small place so I think i would go stir crazy in Perth ( still never been ! ) . Depends if you wanna get away from it all. I hear its a really nice place to visit. It has a meditereans climate. Hot dry summers, cooler wetter winters.

Sydney to Perth is the same distance as Los Angeles to New York or London to Turkey. Apart from Adelaid and Melbourne there isnt much to write home about ( if you like big towns) in between. I'd say Adelaide is as big as Southampton but its the capital of South Australia, and thats it until you get to Perth 2,000km later!!!!!

These are all generalisations and stereotypes but I hope you get my drift.... I think Melbourne is the cultural centre of OZ similar to New York with a european feel, and cold & damp in winter ! with down to earth people . where -as Sydney is like Los Angeles big , brash, always in a hurry and beach culture with an outdoor lifestyle. Sydney siders pretend it doesn't get cold here in the winter but it does! They don't do heating very well so I'm colder inside than in the UK! The winters are nice in Sydney, sunny & dry all winter down to about 9c at night and up to about 20c in teh day , so not bad for Winter. Sydney has hot wetter summers and cooler dry winters. Housing is VERY expensive here. But an hours drive north or south and it becomes reasonble.

Queenland and Brisbane have the biggest population growth at the moment. It seems to be the place to be. Housing cheaper than Sydney too.

Its currently cheaper to rent than buy in the cities due to the way the tax system works here for investment properties. House prices have skyrocketed in the last 4 years. They are now slowly dipping by a percent or 2. Many people have no chance of buying especially in Sydney

Hope that helps !

• 3 years later...
Guest julie2g1b

are you that board geoff looking at old post :biglaugh:

but yea too true does get a bit fustrating at times when see another post

like that or does my tv work in oz dont they look in the search box lol

julie :wubclub:

check out the date so many years ago and still the same question being asked today! I wonder if there is one Question not been asked on this site already?

Probably Geoffrey - so how many chickens have you inseminated today anyway - Thats my question to you!?

Guest Angie*mark

but then im sure i've wrote a post that has been posted on here before, sometimes we're so mixed up and been forever researching and getting nowhere and then we find this site wiv all the helpful people on and we buck up the courage to ask the question that has been bugging us whether or not it has been asked before.

good for you ange ask any question you like, the high turnover of people on the site its bound to happen.

Trying to do searches sends you mad sometimes especially if its not quite the answer you are looking for.

Anyway geoffrey can you answer me this does my UK TV work in Oz? eh go on:jiggy: rofl xxxxx

Guest julie2g1b
good for you ange ask any question you like, the high turnover of people on the site its bound to happen.

Trying to do searches sends you mad sometimes especially if its not quite the answer you are looking for.

Anyway geoffrey can you answer me this does my UK TV work in Oz? eh go on rofl xxxxx

hay kaye as long as got a plug on :biglaugh:

julie:wubclub:

Probably Geoffrey - so how many chickens have you inseminated today anyway - Thats my question to you!?

I think that one has been asked or made comment to! I've been asked what a chicken inseminator is!!!

To answer your question about 40?????? its been a slow week LOL

I think you need to click yourself you have fallen way behind Tim and why does it stop at 6 purple bars?????

i'll give you a real click

Anyway geoffrey can you answer me this does my UK TV work in Oz? eh go on:jiggy: rofl xxxxx

Hi Kaye

I have no idea about your TV sorry!

i'll start at the start I pm'ed Tim to see if we could find out

1/ the oldest thread on PIO

2/the most common questions on PIO

I thought it would be a good laugh to see if we could guess the top 5 or 10. Nothing to do with calling people lazy or making myself look big or small (depending on which way you look at it.)

Tim pm'ed me back with where to find the oldest thread and this was it. Nothing evil or nasty behind it.

All the best

Geoffrey

i would imagine one of the most asked questions would be ''where do we live in Oz'' closely followed by '' how long will my visa take'',lol

I dont mind repeated questions ,with a site this big we cant expect everyone to troll back through page after page,lol, it would take forever,lol

Cal x

Archived