Help! Just starting on the upward slope!

Guest yvonne & paul

Guest yvonne & paul

Hi we are new to the site but i've been reading all the questions and answers, what a great site. I have already picked up some tips. My Husband qualified as a plumber 3 years ago and then did his gas etc nvq's at college and became corgie registered in Aug 06. He is now 42 and we saw our migration agents Montfort international (Has anyone had dealings?) we were told paul did not have enough experience as since he had qualified as a plumber he had only done a bit of this and that to get through college to do his gas. We were gutted!! However our agent mentioned Student Visa for me as i have always worked as a legal cashier in a solicitors he said i should do and ACCA to become an accountant. Well with 3 children 11, 8 and 4 I think this will be to hard for me to do. I would however do something less taxing (excuse the punn) ie child care or hairdressing the later i have an NVQ in but no experience. My husband would be happy to do something else at college but here are our questions. 1. Can we pick any course that is on the skills list or do we need to have prior experience in that field. 2. I read that the student visa usually expires after 2 months of the course finishing, what do you do then? 3. also read somewhere of an agent who will get you on a course for free who works for the colleges in australia . Anyone got the name?

Sorry to dribble on so much on my 1st go but we are really frustrated confused excited and all the other emotions that come with this big move. thank you in advance for any answers.

Yvonne

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hello Yvonne:jiggy:

In answer to your questions:

1. You don't need any previous experience to enrol on a course. My hubby is applying to study Automotive Engineering, this is a complete change for him.

2. Yes the student visa expires after the course ends. This is why it is important that you study a Skill in Demand, ie it will be worth 60 points. This is why it was helpful for us to use a company to help us find the right course. We are using www.studyaustralia.com.au. We are not paying them anything, they get paid commission by the Australian Colleges.

Another useful site is www.LiveInVictoria.gov.au. they have a section on International Students and tell you how they encourage students to stay on in Victoria. Also, the official Government student website is www.studyinaustralia.gov.au. is also very helpful.

3. Hairdressing is a Skill in Demand and worth 60 points in Victoria. Not sure about other states, you would have to find that out.

Hope it helps! Best of luck:wink:

Rachel

Guest yvonne & paul

thanks for the quick reply, we think we might be against the clock because paul was 41 in january he would have to start studying this July to give him 2 years before he is 45. If I study my only worry is that I will end up spending less time with my children than I do here. I work 3 days a week 9.30 until 3.00 plus extra hours if needed. I can drop kids and pick up from school. If I study will I then have to work full time when I finish or could i work part time and for how long. I really am a hard worker but my children are growing up so quick i do not want to miss them growing up.

Yvonne,

Have you looked at a Skills Matching permanent residency visa backed by a State Nomination as your visa strategy? The Skills Matching visa only requires 6 months of skilled work experience, and for the work to be counted the visa applicant needs to have worked for at least 20 hours a week.

More details are here:

http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/skilled_migration.cfm#Skills%20Matching

This sounds like a more sensible visa pathway than the student visa option.

Feel able to contact me directly if you want more details, or to contact our office in Southampton (ask for Marina Towner).

Best regards.

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hi Yvonne,:spinny:

Rules regarding work differ depending on what is being studied, eg 2year Diploma course, student can work 20 hours and spouse can work 20 hours. Degree course, spouse can work full-time, not sure how many hours student can work.

If you have small children (it sounds like you do) that may make it more difficult for you to work 20 hours? Unless you work when your OH is available to look after children.....

You may find it helpful to speak to an agent as Alan Collett suggests. Student visa is not the only alternative and there may be other options available to you!

Good luck:spinny:

Rachel

Archived