New to Melbourne

Guest mixi

Hi there

I moved to Melbourne a couple of months ago and am finding my feet slowly but surely although hard enough to meet people so if anyone has an ideas.... Was thinking about getting a car becuase there is so much to do and see but does anyone know whether I need to do a driving test. I have a UK licence and was living in a small town in N Ireland for the last few years so the though of the Melbourne traffic terrifies me and doing a test would be a complete nightmare!! I am hoping I can avoid it.

Also on a totally different theme - is there anyone who scuba dives. i did the course a few years ago but didn;t really keep it up but think it would be a great thing to get in to again.

Would apprerciate any help

Thanks a million

Maxine

Welcome to the site. Vic Roads administer licences and

their site says

"

The need to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is permanent or temporary.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa, you can drive on your overseas licence for only three months from the date you entered Victoria or from the time a permanent visa was issued to you. If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after that time you must apply for a Victorian driver licence."

A lot of people dive around Melbourne have a look at this site Diving Headquarters

There is another forum you may care to join called Britvics where a lot of the members already live in Melbourne and may be able to help you as well.

Good luck.

Hi

Thanks for quick reply. BIG relief about the licecnce - look out Melbourne.

I have just joined the Britvic site but I am either completly stupid or maybe the browser on the computer I am using is not great but I can't even seem to begin to post an introductory thread.

Anyway think I deserve a new years eve drink. This website and Britvic look great so will be checking it regulraly and hopefully get on one of the meets

Happy new year

maxine

Hi

Thanks for quick reply. BIG relief about the licecnce - look out Melbourne.

I have just joined the Britvic site but I am either completly stupid or maybe the browser on the computer I am using is not great but I can't even seem to begin to post an introductory thread.

Happy new year

maxine

Hi Maxine, there is something wrong with Britvics site tonight. I can't get into the Admin side of it. Hopefully tomorrow I will get in & ok your membership & you can post until your hearts content.

B.

Guest bart592

The uk licence is a straight swop over, but you can always take a few driving lessons to get use to all the roads etc, I did helped a lot.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Maxine

Good luck with the driving, it is all very daunting at first but you will get in to it easy. I would recommend practising in outer suburbs first as the city is nightmares. It took me years to get use to the hook turns and the trams and to be honest I still avoid driving in to the city if I can help it.

Hi there

Thanks for the help. Just now need to get a car!! Is it me or are second hand cars here really expensive. Looks like I am going to have to pay anout 6000 bucks for a 1962 pick up truck - may be sticking to those trams after all.

Maxine

Guest Dipper

Hiya Maxine, I'm from and still living in Belfast. Our daughter and her Oz partner moved out in Oct 08 and I was on looking for the best way to fly out to visit them next Jan. They are living in St Kilda and her email is nicola.pearce@gmail.com I'm sure she would be delighted to hear from any other folk from "Back home"

Hi there

Thanks for the email. Will drop nicola a line at some stage. I was up in Coleraine for 12 years so Melbourne is a big change. You will have a great time when you come out

Maxine

Guest auds_in_oz

Hi Maxine

Im Audrey and originally from Scotland. Been here 14 months. I made most friends via work and did try gum tree at one point and all I can say is dont go there.

Dont have a clue about scuba diving but happy to catch up on the beach with you or have a few shandies

Auds

Hi there

Thanks for the email. Will drop nicola a line at some stage. I was up in Coleraine for 12 years so Melbourne is a big change. You will have a great time when you come out

Maxine

All my fathers side of the family come from Coleraine. Ive got loads of memories from there.

Hi Auds

Definately up for a few shandies or the beach - or both. Sounds far more appealing than going under water and scaring myself stupid which is what happened last time I went diving.

Maxine

Hi there

Thanks for the help. Just now need to get a car!! Is it me or are second hand cars here really expensive. Looks like I am going to have to pay anout 6000 bucks for a 1962 pick up truck - may be sticking to those trams after all.

Maxine

Hi Maxine,

Good taste in cars you seem to have there!

Sounds like we're in the same boat! We arrived in Melb. late November and have just had our first xmas in Oz (which was very odd). Looking for a car too, but like you are finding it really difficult - got my eye on a classic Holden/Ford, but not sure our budget can stretch to that - it might have to be something more modern after all. :(

BTW, have you checked out tradingpost.com.au ? Worth a look if you haven't.

Let us know how you get on.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Have seen trading post and there is another magazine called something like go drive which may be something to do with the trading post but is just cars. Websites I have been told about include carsales.com.au and carpoint.com.au. The RACV have a good website and also have mechanics who will check a car out for you for a certain amount of money. There is also a place called carcity which has tonnes of used cars for sale and also a website of the same name.

Beacuse I am crap at parking I am looking for a small car and the good small ones seem to be anything pretty much by toyota, holden Barina, Mishibishi (can't spell) mirage/lancer, hyaundi getz. I am hoping to get something around 10-12 years old from between about 3 and 5000

Will let you know how I get on.

Maxine

Archived