Christmas Lights in Melbourne

Guest treesea

Guest treesea

I posted this in the "Victoria" section of the blog, but thought I would re-post it here, in case any of you are planning to visit Melbourne in the run up to Xmas.

If in Melbourne, I totally recommend going to see some of the streets where the householders decorate their houses with Christmas lights. My children loved seeing the lights, even when they were toddlers.

The best show, and oldest one, is The Boulevard and surrounding streets, in Ivanhoe, around 8 - 10 km or so north and slightly east of the city centre. They have their lights up from around the middle of December, and on Christmas eve they have the most amazing lighting show. The best time to see them is from about 8.30pm onwards. Before that, it is too light. I think from memory they go until 11pm or so. The Banyule City Council's website should have lots of info on these: www.banyule.vic.gov.au

To the north east of the city, but in the outer suburbs, there are also some pretty spectacular displays. Croydon Hills usually have a fair few houses decorated. In Lilydale, Lakeview Drive and ********* Way have amazing displays. Not sure about the rest of the Melbourne suburbs.

The Boulevard has two entrances, at Heidleberg Road and Lower Heidelberg Road. I assume from the following info, that the lights are mainly in the part from Lower Heidelberg Road to Burke Road, i.e. the eastern part of the road. We have driven along the road, but I don't recommend it. Far better to walk. You will see heaps more that way.

For the Boulevard's lights, this is from the council website:

"TRAFFIC DETAILS FOR BOULEVARD LIGHTS 12 - 24 DECEMBER

• No parking/stopping is allowed along The Boulevard between Lower Heidelberg Rd and Burke Rd North
  • All cars must enter via Lower Heidelberg Rd and exit via Burke Rd North
  • One way traffic only in an easterly direction
  • Expect long delays

FREE SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE

Approx every 15 minutes from 8.30 - 11pm nightly (from 5:30pm on Sat 13 Dec). Pick up & drop off at:

• The Centre Ivanhoe, 275 Upper Heidelberg Rd (free parking)
  • Ivanhoe Station (free parking)
  • The eastern end of The Boulevard near cnr of Lower Heidelberg Rd

NB: Shuttle Bus does not travel down The Boulevard.

If you would like to enquire about the 2008 event, please contact Council's Cultural Events Officer, Lisa Martin on 9457 9936"

Archived