Help please!

Stulatics

Hi.

I'm Stuart, I'm 29 and currently live in West Berkshire. I'm thinking of moving to Australia for a year on a Working Visa. I work in newspaper journalism which is

in meltdown here in the UK and am really unhappy in my current role at work, so want to get away asap! It wouldn't be a complete leap into the unknown for me as I've been to Australia before (I went travelling around the south east corner for seven weeks in 2002) and I loved it to bits.

As I've already 'done' Sydney and Melbourne, I thought I would try Perth to start with. Can anyone tell me please is this a good idea, bearing in mind I would have to find a job asap? I've done office work before so would probably be looking for something in that area. Is this feasible? Would I earn enough to cover my rent and not be penniless. Also, given the tax levels, would I earn enough in a low-paid job to find accommodation? A pal may be coming with me, so we would look to share a place I guess, but if not I would probably have to look to rent a room and share a house. Would this all be okay?

And, above all, can anyone convince me to do this? I really, really want to and I guess the only thing that's holding me back is....fear!

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers,

Stuart.

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Stuart... just wanted to welcome you to PomsinOz and hopefully you'll soon find somewone with the answers to your questions...!

Dan :emoticon-signxmas:

Hi.

I'm Stuart, I'm 29 and currently live in West Berkshire. I'm thinking of moving to Australia for a year on a Working Visa. I work in newspaper journalism which is

in meltdown here in the UK and am really unhappy in my current role at work, so want to get away asap! It wouldn't be a complete leap into the unknown for me as I've been to Australia before (I went travelling around the south east corner for seven weeks in 2002) and I loved it to bits.

As I've already 'done' Sydney and Melbourne, I thought I would try Perth to start with. Can anyone tell me please is this a good idea, bearing in mind I would have to find a job asap? I've done office work before so would probably be looking for something in that area. Is this feasible? Would I earn enough to cover my rent and not be penniless. Also, given the tax levels, would I earn enough in a low-paid job to find accommodation? A pal may be coming with me, so we would look to share a place I guess, but if not I would probably have to look to rent a room and share a house. Would this all be okay?

And, above all, can anyone convince me to do this? I really, really want to and I guess the only thing that's holding me back is....fear!

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers,

Stuart.

Hi Stuart....

Cant help you much in your feild of work or about perth....but if you are looking to take any job for a while then i can tell you that im living in Sydney and run cafes, the people that i employ are normally people on a one year visa, they do around 30/40 hours aweek and pick up around $600/700 a week......

Money is very good for Hospitality in Sydney, and lots of jobs going to...

I know of people that rent studio appartments in the city for around $300....

I beleive Sydney is more expensive though......if you want to just leave the uk for a bit, travell around, and take any old job then i say go for it......the UK may be a bit better upon your return in a year or so......maybe you could keep a travel diary over here and use your experiences for your current job when you return???

Not sure if any of my mubbling has helpted........just do it i say...if you let fear hold you back, youll do nothing!!...good luck with it all.:emoticon-signxmas:

Hi Stuart....

Cant help you much in your feild of work or about perth....but if you are looking to take any job for a while then i can tell you that im living in Sydney and run cafes, the people that i employ are normally people on a one year visa, they do around 30/40 hours aweek and pick up around $600/700 a week......

Money is very good for Hospitality in Sydney, and lots of jobs going to...

I know of people that rent studio appartments in the city for around $300....

I beleive Sydney is more expensive though......if you want to just leave the uk for a bit, travell around, and take any old job then i say go for it......the UK may be a bit better upon your return in a year or so......maybe you could keep a travel diary over here and use your experiences for your current job when you return???

Not sure if any of my mubbling has helpted........just do it i say...if you let fear hold you back, youll do nothing!!...good luck with it all.:emoticon-signxmas:

Emma - thank you SO MUCH for your help. I think i'm going to go for it!

Cheers and take care,

Stuart

Archived