Help please, nursing sponsorship

Guest maxxangel

Guest maxxangel

Can any nurses who have obtained sponsorship in Oz give me an idea of the best way to go about this? Or even just relate their own experiences (My mum's considering looking into it).

Cara

Guest guest17301

Hi Cara, a lot depends on your Mums age, experience and what sort of work/hours she wants to do in Oz, if you give us this info someone may be able to give you some idea of where to start.

cheers Fiona

Guest maxxangel
Hi Cara, a lot depends on your Mums age, experience and what sort of work/hours she wants to do in Oz, if you give us this info someone may be able to give you some idea of where to start.

cheers Fiona

Well, she's 53 and has been nursing for about 20 years. She would like to contribute to Australia, so she would happily work in the country area. I don't think she would be fussy about hours. Her training, of course, covered a wide area of nursing, but her main experiences started in rehab for elderly patients and she currently works on the community which brings her into contact with a variety of patients.

I have spoken to an agent a the suggestion was that she obtain sponsorship.

Guest JoanneHattersley

I work in elderly care. I was sponsored to come to Australia by a nursing agency in London. I came on a 457 VISA. I was allocated to a nursing home with the intention of being what they call a "roving RN". My current manager took me on and 4 years in I am still there. After being there 4 months my current manager `bought me out` of my agency contract and 12 months later they sponsored me through PR.

Worked for me!!!!!!!!!!

Guest guest17301

Hi Cara,

I'm not sure but I think the age limit for skilled independent PR visas is 45 (correct me if I'm wrong please) I think if your Mum was to go for a 457 visa (temp 4 year) she would get offered a sponsorship and then could probably apply for employer spnsored PR, they seem to be a bit more lenient with the age rules for nurses. Her best bet I would say is to decide on the area she wants to live, presumably near you? Then send out her CV to various hospitals/health authorities and wait for the response.(that's what I did) I have a 457 visa working for WA health with PR sponsorship offered after 3 months. I'm sure she will get plenty of interest. Most nurses manage to obtain a visa or 457 sponsorship without the need for agent, can't see any reason why your mum should be any different.

Good luck

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Cara! Fiona is correct...! Your mum could obtain sponsorship through a 457 and then PR later on.

Try:

South Australia Health (assuming she's looking at going to South Australia):

SA Health :: Apply for Jobs

or

Ramsay Health:

Welcome to Ramsayjobs

Correct me if I'm wrong but if she is planning to join you in South Australia (even in Adelaide itself) she would be eligible for a RSMS Permanent visa as the age limit can be waivered and South Australia (including Adelaide) is considered a "regional" area. This visa however would not allow your mum to work in/around Perth, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney or Melbourne for the first two years.

I'm not 100% sure but 457 sponsorship would probably be the most straightforward however.

Hope that helps...!!!

Take care,

Dan xx :cutexmas:

sorry to hijack this question, but can johatts please give me some advice. I have been offered a job in rockhampton with mercy aged care, luckily my husband is being sponsered, but wondered what aged care is like in australia. the last time i did care of the elderly ward was back in 92. mainly done surgical training, and practice nursing since, so wondered what your experiences are. they seemed really nice on the phone when i talked to them ect, so am quite looking forward to it, but your experience would be appreciated.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest samnash1
I work in elderly care. I was sponsored to come to Australia by a nursing agency in London. I came on a 457 VISA. I was allocated to a nursing home with the intention of being what they call a "roving RN". My current manager took me on and 4 years in I am still there. After being there 4 months my current manager `bought me out` of my agency contract and 12 months later they sponsored me through PR.

Worked for me!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jo, Don't know if you can help any, but my family and I are hoping to come back to Oz July 2010. We did live in Oz (near Brisbane) so know the score, want to come back very much. Can you tell me which agency in London you registered with. I will be 45 in August 2011 so really need to get PR before this.

hi everybody, im a 21 year old male from the uk currently training as a hca, i work in a high dependancy unit of a head injury rehab hospital and would like to immigrate to australia to do my training as a general nurse, unfortunately my financial situation is the biggest hurdle! i was wondering if anybody could give me advice or sources as to where or how to locate a person or company that would be willing to sponser me. i absouletly love nursing and i truly beleive i am made to do it, but as i say, money is an issue and really need somebody to give me the chance! any help would be extremely helpful

thanks

lagan

Cant give you a definate reply but australia has two types of nurses, the registered nurse which is a 3-4 year university course and an enrolled nurse course which is a two year course and done at a TAFE college. I would assume you would have to have the relevent qualifications to apply to do your nurse training and would also have to pay to do your course at an Australian University, apply and go through the process as you would in the UK, but obviously you would have to pay all the tuition fees, pay for your own living costs ect. I wouldn't of thought that the australian government would pay for you to do your training, ( dont know if they even help their own citizens). Those of us who have got kids depending on where we are have to pay the aus gov for our kids to attend primary and secondary schools, so i dont really think you have any hope. Maybe someone else knows, have you tried contacting a university in Australia to ask? Why dont you apply to do your nurse training in the uk, and once qualified go to australia.

Dont think it is impossible to do your training in australia but i would assume it would cost you alot of money.

Guest maxxangel

Lagan - as mrscat says, probably better to do your nurse training in the UK and then move to Australia when you have that and the relevent experience behind you. You will get much more help from the UK governement money wise than here. You're also young enough not to need to rush.

I'm not certain, but from what I've seen nurse training here is done at college/university rather than as an apprenticeship which a company can sponser.

• 2 months later...
Guest rogandhayley

Hi im hoping to go and work in melbourne as a nurse, looking to get a sponsorship, does anyone know if my boyfriend will be able to come with me on my visa?

Guest maxxangel
Hi im hoping to go and work in melbourne as a nurse, looking to get a sponsorship, does anyone know if my boyfriend will be able to come with me on my visa?

If you can prove a defacto relationship then there shouldn't be a problem with him going with you on your visa. Proof usually entails providing evidence that you have lived together as a couple for some time.

Archived