pensions again

Guest erinfay

Guest erinfay

Hi

I wonder if anyone has any info on what you need to do to transfer pensions as I am a bit confused by it all, my husband has one frozen from previous employment and one that he has been paying into for last 10 years (I think this one is a private one) does he need to speak to some one in the UK or Australia,and if so is there any that people would recommend, I think I read some where that it has to be done within a certain time but soooo confused :confusedxmas:

has anyone got any ideas thanks

Erinfay:wubclub:

Guest erinfay

Thanks for your reply

But I am a bit dim:goofy:

Do I start with a pensions transfer company or do i speak to employer/pension provider?

Do I need a financial adviser, sorry but completley lost

Just dont know where to start the ball rolling

Thanks

Erinfay:wubclub:

First question: should you transfer your UK pension fund benefits to Australia? This is a function of (amongst other things) the tax position if you leave the fund benefits behind as against transferring to an Australian superannuation fund.

If a transfer appears sensible, you then have to decide into which Australian superannuation fund you should transfer your UK pension benefits.

Note that the Australian fund should be what is called a QROPS to meet UK Revenue requirements: Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Please send me an email or a PM if you would like the name and contact details of someone with whom you might explore this issue more fully.

Best regards..

Guest cazbeckham

Hi

WE have pensions paid into our UK bank and pay UK tax on them before they reach our bank in UK.

WE are then having a certain amount per month (ie our pension) transferred to our Oz bank using HIFX.

Can we still do this all the time or will there be a time when we have to have it transferred from the companies our pensions come from to an OZ bank straight away paying OZ taxes rather than the way we are doing it?

What I am trying to say is:-

IS it OK to still have a pension paid into a UK bank with the tax being paid in the UK or should we have it paid straight into our Australian bank paying Australian taxes (we are permanent residents here)

And if it is the latter how long do we have to sort this out.

Thanks

Caz

Hello Caz. I hope all is going well.

Re taxation: once you move to Australia as a permanent resident your worldwide income is assessable in Australia. The bank account into which your pension is paid is not relevant for the purpose of taxation in Australia.

Under the UK - Australia Tax Treaty UK source pension income paid to a resident of Australia (other than those who hold temporary residency visas) is wholly assessable in Australia. In other words you should not be paying tax to the UK Revenue under the PAYE system.

UK Revenue form FD2 applies. If you have been suffering UK tax on UK source pension income since you moved to Australia you should be completing this form and arranging a repayment of tax suffered since you departed the UK.

You may be able to claim a tax deduction for what is called the undeducted purchase price of the UK pension. Tax deductions reduce the amount of your assessable income.

Feel able to contact me via our office in Melbourne if you require any assistance with this and/or your Australian tax affairs - T 03 9935 2929.

Best wishes for a Happy Xmas.

Guest cazbeckham

Hi Alan

Yes all is very well thanks. Been here now for 9 weeks tomorrow and been in our new home in Buderim for 5 weeks on Weds.

I will give you a call after the holidays prob around mid Jan.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Thanks again for all your help and Go Matilda with our visa

Caz

Archived