Hi!

Guest nicky71

Guest nicky71

Right, where to start! I'm from West Sussex and looking to move to Australia. Very new to all of this so please bear with me! I really need some help and advice, where to go, what to do, how to do it! I guess if I tell you that I work as a Recruitment Consultant and my boyfriend works in Corporate Advice for a very large bank. What are our chances of living in Australia. Which part of Australia? How much does it cost, what is the cost of living, what are the wages like - pretty much - HELP! I just have no idea where to start and it seems that the internet is full of sites.

Please help!!!

:confusedxmas:

hi welcome to pio!! cant really answer many of your questions, but the people on here are brill dont worry someone will have answers for you!! as far as which part of oz really depends on what your looking for,

good luck and dont give up

Lee

p.s if you need to know about melbourne or carpet fitting or floorlayer aqfIII feel free to ask!!!

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi there and welcome to PomsinOz - it's a great site and a great place to start your journey!!!

There are many threads about different areas on here... but briefly:

If you want really tropical try Darwin or Cairns,

If you want city or beach life with plenty of work in amazing weather try Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth,

If you want busy and active with not quite so hot weather but loads to do at your age try Sydney or Melbourne!

Of course, there are plenty of other places too and everywhere has its good points...!

Lots of Luck!!!

Dan xx :emoticon-signxmas:

Guest juliemtaylor
Right, where to start! I'm from West Sussex and looking to move to Australia. Very new to all of this so please bear with me! I really need some help and advice, where to go, what to do, how to do it! I guess if I tell you that I work as a Recruitment Consultant and my boyfriend works in Corporate Advice for a very large bank. What are our chances of living in Australia. Which part of Australia? How much does it cost, what is the cost of living, what are the wages like - pretty much - HELP! I just have no idea where to start and it seems that the internet is full of sites.

Please help!!!

Recruitment Consultants were in an article in the recent Australia/New Zealand mag/Emigrate mag last month as I remember and how they were needed. So worth checking?

Julie x

Guest The Dickos

You are certainly doing the right thing.

We went on the Web and filled out the on line Visa applications. They tell you whether you have enough points or not and then you can take it from there. We went with Migration Expert and paid £1500 for a 'Premium Service' and 18 months later wwe have our Visa. Although there was a bit of faffing around at our side initially.

We are soooo excited as our Visa was granted on 5/12/08. We went to Oz for Xmas last year and it was fantastic. The people are great and the place is wonderful. I was surprised how like the South of France it looked - but better!!!!

Anyway do all the homework you can and GO FOR IT!!!

The Dickos

Guest Gollywobbler

Please help!!!

Hello Nicky

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

How old are you and OH respectively and what qualifications do each of you hold, please?

Migrating to Oz is not as simple as wanting to go there. Please click on the link below:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Can you find your jobs on the list above, please?

You also need to consult the DIAC website:

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

The Visa Wizard is a useful tool, too:

Australian Visa wizard - Visas & Immigration

Best wishes

Gill

Guest nicky71

You have all been really helpful.

Gill - thanks for all the information, I'm 37 and he is 40. No children, no pets.

Julie - thanks for the tip with regard to recruitment consultants.

The Dickos - thanks this is really helpful. If you dont have enough points is that the end of the road? :confused: I'm 37 - does this mean I am too old now to work in Australia - does this mean I wont have enough points. There are no children or pets. What if it is just me moving, does this make it more difficult?

Dan - Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth sound good to me. So I guess what I should be doing is booking a flight for a 3-week holiday. What time of year would you recommend going?

I have a funny feeling I'm going to drive you all nuts with all my questions!

Speak to you all again soon!

:emoticon-signxmas: Nicky x

Guest Gollywobbler
You have all been really helpful.

Gill - thanks for all the information, I'm 37 and he is 40. No children, no pets.

Julie - thanks for the tip with regard to recruitment consultants.

The Dickos - thanks this is really helpful. If you dont have enough points is that the end of the road? :confused: I'm 37 - does this mean I am too old now to work in Australia - does this mean I wont have enough points. There are no children or pets. What if it is just me moving, does this make it more difficult?

Dan - Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth sound good to me. So I guess what I should be doing is booking a flight for a 3-week holiday. What time of year would you recommend going?

I have a funny feeling I'm going to drive you all nuts with all my questions!

Speak to you all again soon!

:emoticon-signxmas: Nicky x

Hi Nicky

Neither of you are too old to migrate, or too old to work in Australia so do not worry about that.

Australia relies on something called the ASCO Code in order to define and describe people's occupations. The full Code is on the link below and the alphabetical list of occupations is at the back:

http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/Lookup/A86A0162E6F672DFCA256ADB001D10D4/$File/asco.pdf

In your case, I would say that using a top notch migration agent would definitely be useful because some of the descriptions in ASCO are, frankly, so general, generic and vague that they could mean practically anything, especially with white collar office jobs. For instance the office messenger could be got up as a "Project or Program Administrator" if one over-eggs the pudding enough about what the kid actually does all day long. DIAC will not accept "mere puff" of this type, though. I mean the kid would have to do a Risk Assessment before making tea for a dozen people and pushing a trolley around with it all, would he not? (Yeah, right!)

Really good, experienced migration agents can tell from your qualifications and your CVs what would be viable by way of occupation-descriptions and what would sink like a stone under DIAC's beady gaze. That knowledge can only be gained from a lot of experience of handling visa applications for people.

You might be a genuine Project or Program Administrator, depending on how your work is structured, your pay and on whether you have the appropriate level of formal qualifications to satisfy Vetassess (the relevant skills assessment authority.)

I don't know what ASCO would call your OH. I don't do this stuff for a living so I don't see enough real life examples to be able to guess. I'm not sure how the staff complement in a Bank is organised, either.

Good Agents do not charge for 15 or 20 minutes on the phone and they can cover a vast amount of ground with you in a short Q&A sesh. I would suggest that you phone half a dozen and see what they all say. Do not be surprised if you get what seems to be conflicting advice. There could be more than one way to skin the rabbit with one of you or OH and only one of you will be the main visa applicant.

I would suggest chats with the following Agents:

Richard Gregan at Overseas Emigration in Edinburgh:

Richard Gregan

Ian Harrop at Ian Harrop Associates near Oxford:

Registered Australian Migration Agents, UK - Ian Harrop and Associates

Go Matilda in Southampton or Melbourne:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

George Lombard in Sydney:

Visa Info | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

Agents in Oz do not have to charge overseas clients GST (the Aussie equivalent of VAT) and the exchange rate can make it attractive to use an Agent in Oz - though sterling took a tumble overnight. It might bounce back quickly though. It has been pretty good against the Aussie dollar recently.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Nicky

This is just to let you know that I have deleted the two threads you have started today because they are simply repeats of your reply on this thread.

Posts do not get answered any faster just because they are posted in several threads in different parts of the forum. All that happens is that the whole thing becomes bitty, disjointed and difficult to follow. Which is counter-productive from your own point of view because you want a coherent response, which you will obtain if you leave your queries on this thread alone for the time being, chooks.

Cheers

Gill

Archived