Mechanical engineers

Ratchet

Is there much call for design engineers in Oz? We're applying to Melbourne, via my Skill base as a nurse, but hubby will also be looking for work.

He's a mechanical design engineer, currently working with air craft.

Job prospects??

Thanks

Kelly

Is there much call for design engineers in Oz? We're applying to Melbourne, via my Skill base as a nurse, but hubby will also be looking for work.

He's a mechanical design engineer, currently working with air craft.

Job prospects??

Thanks

Kelly

There's some aerospace work in Melb (Boeing - fishermans bend plus others). To work on design he'll quite probably need a bachelor degree as a minimum.

In any case there's plenty of work as mech designers in other industries.

Guest spottymercedes

We have been here for 7 months now and OH is struggling to find work. He is a Mechanical Design Engineer, but has worked mainly in the automotive sector. He used to design and fit superchargers to cars and that sort of thing. He does have a job, but has been looking for a while for something better, but can't seem to get anywhere. We have applied for loads but agencies are not very good at getting back to you. We have seen Aircraft engineers advertised so there could well be work there.

Not trying to be negative, by the way, just explaining our situation, so don't take this post the wrong way.

We have been here for 7 months now and OH is struggling to find work. He is a Mechanical Design Engineer, but has worked mainly in the automotive sector. He used to design and fit superchargers to cars and that sort of thing. He does have a job, but has been looking for a while for something better, but can't seem to get anywhere. We have applied for loads but agencies are not very good at getting back to you. We have seen Aircraft engineers advertised so there could well be work there.

Not trying to be negative, by the way, just explaining our situation, so don't take this post the wrong way.

Just out of curiosity what quals and experience does your OH have?

Guest spottymercedes
Just out of curiosity what quals and experience does your OH have?

Hi there, He has a degree in Mechanical Design engineering, (from Denmark where he comes from). He has worked in motorsport in the uk designing and building race engines and loads of things in that field that I don't really understand. He did some work with Racing bikes too but all before I knew him. He has run his own engineering business and made all kinds of machinery for various purposes which again mostly I don't really understand. He used to build stabiliser kits for disabled motorcyclists to ride again when they are paralysed or have had a serious accident. He has rebuilt parts of a spitfire plane for disney corp which was used in the film pearl harbor. He has worked in Iran doing something for a government owned car manufacturer, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what, something to do with the superchargers I think. He has done normal car work and quite a bit with LPG conversions. Bought and sold accident damaged cars and repaired them. These later years has worked with Industrial machines and compressors and NDT testing.

He has done quite a lot of different things which probably doesn't help when applying for work. He is quite a clever chap who always found work before but obviously here, doesn't have any contacts so its a completely different ball game.

Hi there, He has a degree in Mechanical Design engineering, (from Denmark where he comes from). He has worked in motorsport in the uk designing and building race engines and loads of things in that field that I don't really understand. He did some work with Racing bikes too but all before I knew him. He has run his own engineering business and made all kinds of machinery for various purposes which again mostly I don't really understand. He used to build stabiliser kits for disabled motorcyclists to ride again when they are paralysed or have had a serious accident. He has rebuilt parts of a spitfire plane for disney corp which was used in the film pearl harbor. He has worked in Iran doing something for a government owned car manufacturer, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what, something to do with the superchargers I think. He has done normal car work and quite a bit with LPG conversions. Bought and sold accident damaged cars and repaired them. These later years has worked with Industrial machines and compressors and NDT testing.

He has done quite a lot of different things which probably doesn't help when applying for work. He is quite a clever chap who always found work before but obviously here, doesn't have any contacts so its a completely different ball game.

OK! He should possibly look to getting full membership of Engineers Australia. Many mech engineers think the EA is a big w**k but it will at least accredit his quals equal to Aussies. This might stop him getting filtered out at the application stage.

The other issue may be presumption of language difficulties. Many aussies may not realise that scandinavians speak better english than the english. :smile: Not sure how you overcome that if it is an issue?

Get your resume Aussiefied... look up the aussie employment web sites for the latest fashion.

Good luck. With time it will come good. Many people assume it will be all handed on a plate... for some lucky individuals it does but for most it takes time.

Guest spottymercedes
OK! He should possibly look to getting full membership of Engineers Australia. Many mech engineers think the EA is a big w**k but it will at least accredit his quals equal to Aussies. This might stop him getting filtered out at the application stage.

The other issue may be presumption of language difficulties. Many aussies may not realise that scandinavians speak better english than the english. :smile: Not sure how you overcome that if it is an issue?

Get your resume Aussiefied... look up the aussie employment web sites for the latest fashion.

Good luck. With time it will come good. Many people assume it will be all handed on a plate... for some lucky individuals it does but for most it takes time.

Hi there fatpom, Thanks for that. I hadn't even thought about the fact that they might think there are language issues. Most people who meet him do not even realise he isn't english as he does speak just as good as me. That could have something to do with it. He did do the IELT's test to get here so we do have that, though not sure thats something anyone would want on their resume.

We will look into the Engineers Australia, I personally don't know much about that, but will google it and have a look.

Thanks for taking the time to give us advice.

:emoticon-signxmas:

Thanks for the reply with your experience. i think this is one of the reason why we're going out on what i can do! Although i know friends went out on visa with drafty experience

Thanks Fatpom for some pointers within your post to Spotty. My OH doesnt have degree level. Just HNC (?) apprentiship with MOD and working with the RAF/Army for 15yrs. He's moved out of the drawing office into the IT office to be a CAD manager for the time being, getting some different(ish) experience

:emoticon-signxmas:

Hi. My husband is a mechanical design engineer in the aerospace industry. He's in Oz until the weekend looking for work but he may be able to give you information. He is Australian and we lived in Brisbane from 1989 - 1998 and he has kept in contact with work mates. I do know that companies doing aircraft design in Brisbane are as rare as hen's teeth, (unfortunately since that is where we want to be) but there are good opportunities elsewhere. I have a feeling that Sydney and Adelaide are the best options, but I could be wrong. My husband will be much better clued up. If you want to pm me so I can trace you easily I could send you a visitor message when he gets back.

Deb

Archived