Would my husband be the asked the same question ?

Guest Eve

Hi all,

Yesterday I went for a second interview for a job. First interview went well and I thought this would be less informal as it was arranged in a coffee shop. However when I got there didn't even get offered a drink and was confronted by three interviewers all firing questions at me. I had been shortlisted along with a couple of others and felt that some of the questions were inappropriate 'is it feasible for you having a school aged child to work full time' and ' how would you feel about having a younger line manager' - I wouldn't mind but he looked older and it was irrelevant anyway. I walked away feeling really frustated, I answered the questions well I think but then I wished I'd said if I was a man would you have asked me those questions. Can't believe they could be so upfront about it - especially as it was a job in the social care system and you think they would know better !!

Anyone else had any similar experiences ?

x

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry you were treated like this, I would say good luck and hope you get the job, but would you really want to work for someone like that???

Sorry you were treated like this, I would say good luck and hope you get the job, but would you really want to work for someone like that???

Thanks - I've been offered another job but as it's only term time the money isn't too good, so I'd probably need to do some vacation work as well. If they do offer me the job then I'll have to see how much they're going to pay me - otherwise they can keep their job. I was just really shocked as I know I would never be asked such questions in the UK - I know people may think but they don't usually dare say. I don't think they're allowed to ask you questions which discriminate are they ?

x

I was asked the same question last year when I applied for a full time job. This is in NZ though. I was so unprepared for such a question I could't think of a suitable reply and found myself gabbling about who was going to look after the kids etc. I wish I'd just said it was my problem, or even better asked whether he'd ask a male the same question.

I think you'll find that although you are not allowed to discriminate a lot of people do. I'm pretty sure I didn't get that job because the older male employer believed that mothers should be at home with their kids. He was that transparent. Perhaps these employers need to have it pointed out to them how close to the line that questioning comes.

Guest Birdiesinoz
Hi all,

Yesterday I went for a second interview for a job. First interview went well and I thought this would be less informal as it was arranged in a coffee shop. However when I got there didn't even get offered a drink and was confronted by three interviewers all firing questions at me. I had been shortlisted along with a couple of others and felt that some of the questions were inappropriate 'is it feasible for you having a school aged child to work full time' and ' how would you feel about having a younger line manager' - I wouldn't mind but he looked older and it was irrelevant anyway. I walked away feeling really frustated, I answered the questions well I think but then I wished I'd said if I was a man would you have asked me those questions. Can't believe they could be so upfront about it - especially as it was a job in the social care system and you think they would know better !!

Anyone else had any similar experiences ?

x

Hi Eve

I remember being asked a similar question in the UK when my children were small. I was applying for a part time evening job as a telephone operator with BT and the line manager asked me 'who would be looking after the children' when i replied, 'my husband' she asked if he would mind!!!! My answer was 'they are his children too so of course he bl***dy well wont!!' , and i still got the job. But like you, i wish i'd have asked if she would have asked the same question of a male! :arghh:

kind regards

Guest treesea

If you make it to the second interview, usually there are two or three managers on the panel. The first interview isn't usually the decider - it's just to cull the short list. It's like that in the UK as well. It's a stupid question to ask anyway - obviously your children will be in before and after school care, or childcare, or with someone you trust to look after them, like another parent. So I tend to think that question has an ulterior motive - they are trying to assess your level of anxiety about leaving your children in care, rather than specifically wanting an answer to the questions they pose. Maybe just say something like "There's before and after school care, and holiday programs. They will be with all their friends. It will be fine," regardless of what your actual plans will be. I think interviewing you in a coffee shop was a bit "off" though. Not the norm, in my experience.

I was just really shocked as I know I would never be asked such questions in the UK

Its irrelevent as to what you can or would be asked in the UK.

Having said that I suspect the question regarding your children would be illegal depending on how it was phrased. The other question though seems perfectly fair?

Archived