Food is sooo much better.

Guest earlswood

Don't just note it, do it, you won't look back! They are fab!

We got here to Melbourne in the middle of October, hubby has found work (he's a tradie) but the poor wages and double the hours are not what we came over here for, it's nothing like we were lead to believe, and we did years of research before we came out here, we did'nt take the move lightly. We are also absolutely bored, as other than scenery and beach (which is lovely) there is nothing else to do, our son (age 11) has played out less here than back in the UK as everywhere is like a ghost town where kids are concerned, and we are living on a huge estate with loads of young families.

We certainly wouldn't invest here, the quality of the homes are disgraceful, we have seen better built caravans. We are in a brand new property and I can't tell you how poor it is. We've visited the show homes and they are no better when you look closely. Can't wait to get back to the UK to find people who take pride in themselves, we are sick of looking of people wearing high vis t-shirts and don't change out of them when they get home and would be nice to see women who can be bothered to brush their hair in a morning and wear bras.

We are staying here for the 12 months, as we have paid for our rental property for 12 months up front, and it also means that we can import our cars both duty and tax free on our return to the UK.

I could go on.......... Sorry to moan, but you did ask

Roo

Guest earlswood

We got here to Melbourne in the middle of October, hubby has found work (he's a tradie) but the poor wages and double the hours are not what we came over here for, it's nothing like we were lead to believe, and we did years of research before we came out here, we did'nt take the move lightly. We are also absolutely bored, as other than scenery and beach (which is lovely) there is nothing else to do, our son (age 11) has played out less here than back in the UK as everywhere is like a ghost town where kids are concerned, and we are living on a huge estate with loads of young families.

We certainly wouldn't invest here, the quality of the homes are disgraceful, we have seen better built caravans. We are in a brand new property and I can't tell you how poor it is. We've visited the show homes and they are no better when you look closely. Can't wait to get back to the UK to find people who take pride in themselves, we are sick of looking of people wearing high vis t-shirts and don't change out of them when they get home and would be nice to see women who can be bothered to brush their hair in a morning and wear bras.

We are staying here for the 12 months, as we have paid for our rental property for 12 months up front, and it also means that we can import our cars both duty and tax free on our return to the UK.

Roo

No problem...I have to admit that I went out with an aussie bird for 6 months and what you say about the women made me smille...her mates sometimes stayed over and I thought that blokes were bad with personal hygine:laugh:

Why does some foods just taste better back home from sausages to take away curries, had faggots and peas with home made chips in my local last night and it was bloody excellent, the choice of delicious real ales has increased so much the time I was away and it just seems so cheap £2.20 a pint of ruddles:spinny:

I do miss chicken treat double chicken burger though, they need one over here.

Have you noticed the change? and what foods do you miss from Oz.

Been back in UK since April and I had missed Gloria Jeans although went to Nottingham at w/e and they had one there!!!!! Also arnotts shapes and drumstick savoury biscuits.....what else sure i'll think of something...... ooh yes the lovely lamb backstrap that comes in all different flavours from our local butcher........cheesymite scrolls from Bakers Delight!!!!!

From the Uk though it was great to have a good curry,fish n chips,my moms sunday roast!!!!! ohhh i'm starving now !!

Guest Christine&paul

Roo

Hi Roo, Hope you don't mind me asking, but had you ever visited oz before you emigrated and what kind of tradie is your hubby. I hope the next 12 months goes really quick for you.

Christine x

Hi Christine

Hubby is a wall and floor tiler.

We didn't visit Australia before we came to live here as our theory is that everything can look rosy while you are actually here on a recci or a holiday, nobody gets a real picture of somewhere until you have lived it for real. It may be that Australia is all that you have ever dreamed of, unfortunately for us, it just isn't meant to be, it's been an experience that we will always have to remember, but looking forward to going home.

Are you here in Australia, or are you in the process of obtaining your visa?

Roo

Guest Christine&paul

Thanks for info we too are of the mind that holiday theme is not a real picture. Very concerned with the many reports of peoples poor experiences in getting to oz then having a hard time once there. I constantly hear nothing but praise and good things from people who have been to oz of what a lovely country and how lucky we are to be in the position where we are in able to go. Awaiting visa applied for nov 08 never been seems to be on hold could be a good thing with the present global climate. maybe a recci could be on cards to stamp visa and wait. Best of luck from Paul (gas repair eng).

Hi Christine

Hubby is a wall and floor tiler.

We didn't visit Australia before we came to live here as our theory is that everything can look rosy while you are actually here on a recci or a holiday, nobody gets a real picture of somewhere until you have lived it for real. It may be that Australia is all that you have ever dreamed of, unfortunately for us, it just isn't meant to be, it's been an experience that we will always have to remember, but looking forward to going home.

Are you here in Australia, or are you in the process of obtaining your visa?

Roo

Hi we emigrated in Feb 2002 and by April hubby wanted to go back, but after the whole process of getting to Aus I refused point blank to go back and told him to go back and i would keep kids as i had two years in my head!! He relented and stayed and he is glad he did. We are back in uk at mo with work which is also great.

Just wanted to share that with you and i totally agree with you that you need to live in aplace to know exactly what its like. Could tell you many a tale but wont bore you.

Just put oz down to lifes learning and adventure and well done for trying it!!!!

Guest earlswood
Hi we emigrated in Feb 2002 and by April hubby wanted to go back' date=' but after the whole process of getting to Aus I refused point blank to go back and told him to go back and i would keep kids as i had two years in my head!! He relented and stayed and he is glad he did. We are back in uk at mo with work which is also great.

Just wanted to share that with you and i totally agree with you that you need to live in aplace to know exactly what its like. Could tell you many a tale but wont bore you.

Just put oz down to lifes learning and adventure and well done for trying it!!!![/quote']

Hi, are you in Oz or the UK

Hi, are you in Oz or the UK

Hi earlswood, yep we are back in telford,shropshire for a while through work.having a great time! :smile:

Guest earlswood
Hi earlswood' date=' yep we are back in telford,shropshire for a while through work.having a great time! :smile:[/quote']

You going back to Oz? have a pint of bonksis for me..

You moved to Melbourne, a big big mistake!

Get outta town!!! oh already did!!

No absolubtly love melbourne cant say a bad thing about it apart from no family!!

Hey how mad is this i'm sitting in my house obviously on the computer drinking Crown lager my favorite tipple over in oz and get this it is only £2.99 for six. Think over in Melbourne we used to pay around $12.00 or occasionally slab for $50! Think thats right anyway...brains a bit fuddled!!!

Soz also realised you wernt talking to me you were talking to rooroo oh well still drinkin me crownies!!!

Hate Crown with a passion. Can get a slab for $39 (not crown)

Crownies can give you a wicked headache in the morning but they are lovely!!. Now I have to think what else we drank .....think we went through most of the beers, Hahn,Tooheys when we left they had just started to do the ones with a twist of lime which were really yum cant remember what brand maybe miller? They sell the fosters twist over here which i have to say is very nice never touched fosters over there though or castlemaine thats what they export!! vb over here as well £2.99 for 6.

It amazes me though how oz can export beer sooo cheaply and yet we have to pay so much when we are over there- someone enlighten me!!!

Archived