Outback Cattle Drive

olly

Not sure if information about the 'Great Australian Outback Cattle Drive' has been posted here before, but thought I would mention it in case anyone was interested.

It had been advertised on the Aus Tourist Commission website 'australia.com' but it is not there at the moment. You can google the name as I have given it above and get into the website giving all the details. It was done a few years ago by the South Australia State tourism, now it is a regular event. A fantastic experience for anyone looking for some adventure in the Outback.

I don't think it's as interesting as that Tim!! Just a hint at what some of the Outback life is like (although geared to tourism) it is probably worth a look for something adventurous to do. It is booked out year after year, they seem to be taking bookings for 2010 now. If you google it - name as is - it comes up with details etc. It involves camping and riding the horses in the Outback for 5 days.

Seen the film 'City Slickers'? !!

Oh :cry:It does sound like it could be fun though. I also think you can stay on some f the omeseads around Australia also to get a taste of outback life. There is a few places that will do this in WA. Some advertise others will let you if you phone them up.

I quite like the idea. I saw a backpacking job the other day in one of the Hostels in Freo looking for tractor drivers for 2-3 months inland and north of perth, all accomodation and meals provided plus an hourly rate. I thought it would have been a great experience - just to give it a go! A couple of years ago I did some mango picking for a couple of days in Darwin. That was enough and we bolted. Too much hard work in the humidity.

T

I think that the cattle drive is in the less hot months (June-Aug) for the tourists. Of course it's hard to identify 'less hot' in some people's language. I went to see a friend in Queensland, and went to jump in her pool before she yelled out "It's freezing, you silly Melburnian".

Later on a dinner, I said that it was warm in her house and she replied that she had put the heating on! (it was 24C). Obviously though the tourists are loving it. I woudn't mind going myself, but it is not cheap:nah:

Don't know where you are Tim, but if you go up to northern Victoria, there's enough gold/gemstones up there to keep you going for years.

My brother's mate put a deposit on a small house up in Bendigo by doing that (back 10 years ago now). Also my brother had heaps of gold chips in a canister, and he said he dug it up around the Bendigo greater area, maybe only about $2000 worth, but better than working for that all month!

There are also heaps of farmstays around Queensland, real outback stations, so big they don't even know how big.

I wanna live in Queenland! - there's quite alot of that happening in Western Australia. i met a bloke once who was retired but he suplemented his pension by travelling WA fossicking and gold hunting inbetween fishing and camping - interest type of guy. He claimed to do quite well out of it as a hobby.

Oh :cry:It does sound like it could be fun though. I also think you can stay on some f the omeseads around Australia also to get a taste of outback life. There is a few places that will do this in WA. Some advertise others will let you if you phone them up.

I quite like the idea. I saw a backpacking job the other day in one of the Hostels in Freo looking for tractor drivers for 2-3 months inland and north of perth, all accomodation and meals provided plus an hourly rate. I thought it would have been a great experience - just to give it a go! A couple of years ago I did some mango picking for a couple of days in Darwin. That was enough and we bolted. Too much hard work in the humidity.

T

Hi When we back packed around Australia we got a job in WA working on a cattle station, my husband was a jackaroo and I was the cook, it was a great experience, really hard work but worth it. I loved the isolation but was never lonely, strange cause now we llive in Sydney and I've never felt more isolated being surrounded by people.

Archived