Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bet

Qualification for Pension Benefits in Auz

    Recommended Posts

    Guest Bet

    Pensions in Auz


    I am just after some general information, moving to Auz in Feb 2006, I am lead to believe that as I have contributed to the British State Pension for over 12 years, when I come to retirement age I will have to claim a small amount (yeah a very small amount from the British Government" when i reach retirement age. I am sure that I read somewhere that you have to be contributing to the equivalent to the State Pension in Auz for atleast 10 years before I would be able to qualify for any benefits at retirement age, don't worry once I get there both my partner and I will get a pension set up asap, as got some company scheme may wish to transfer.


    Can anyone advise.



    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites


    A useful Centrelink page is:


    'Have you recently moved to Australia to settle?



    Main Payments available for Migrants

    Age Pension - Available after 10 years

    Austudy - Available after 2 years

    Bereavement Allowance - Available after 2 years

    Carer Payment - Available after 2 years

    Disability Support Pension - Available after 10 years

    Parenting Payment - Available after 2 years

    Family Payments - Available immediately

    Newstart Allowance - Available after 2 years

    Sickness Allowance - Available after 2 years

    Special Benefit - (limited circumstances)

    Widow Allowance - Available after 2 years

    Youth Allowance - Available after 2 years


    Note: There can be exceptions.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    you have to be contributing to the equivalent to the State Pension in Auz for atleast 10 years before I would be able to qualify for any benefits at retirement age,


    Please do remember that it is compulsory for your employer to contribute to a superannuation fund (aka a pension) to the tune of 9% so you will have a nest egg building up whilst you work.


    As far as I know, the state pension is a little different to the UK National Insurance scheme in that it is not contributions based, so once that ten years has passed, you will receive the full pension, whereas in the UK after ten years you would be eligible for only a portion of the full pension, with that portion increasing with each year's contribution.


    Don't forget you can transfer your UK company/freestanding pension to Australia - see http://www.pentran.com.au - but you must do it fairly quickly after moving to enjoy the tax breaks, I think it is six months.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Similar Content

      • By meca
        Hi there, 
        I have now moved back to Sweden and I'm looking for ways to return to Australia. I have almost worked 2 years before returning back to Sweden and I have the option to take out my REST money. 
        Someone has adviced me to not take those  money in order to get the PR easier in Australia again. Is this really the facts. It's quite a lot of money hanging there and I want to be sure. 
        Any ideas?
      • By Nic D
        Hi there,
        I'm hoping someone can help me please!
        I'm currently on a 457 visa but have started the process with my employer to apply for Permanent Residency. I'm married to an Australian Citizen and having our 1st baby in September 2017.  I'm not entitled to Paid Parental Leave from the government whilst on a 457 visa and my permanent residency will not be granted before the baby is born.  You can however claim paid parental leave up until the child is 52 weeks old.  My question is, can I apply for paid parental leave within that 52 week period if my PR visa is granted even though I was on a 457 when the child was born? 
        Any help or advice is much appreciated :-) 
      • By Buyer71
        My wife arrives in Australia in July on a 100 permanent resident visa and we hope for her to find work shortly on arrival. After looking on the human services website I noticed that the new start allowance was open to permanent residents and found that it is subject to evidence of unemployment. residency and asset test. This doe seem odd to me considering so many other social benefits are extremely restricted for permanent residents such as access to Uni loans?
        Does anyone here know if my wife would be able to access new start allowance funding whilst she looks for work on arrival in Australia with a 100 visa provided we met the normal criteria.  
      • By Louise Palmer
        I have been living and working in Australia since February 2015. I have, however, been with my current employer since October 2016. My employers would like to sponsor me for PR, but since I have not been with them for 2 years, I require a skills assessment with Vetassess.
        I have 12 years experience in my role, however I am not degree qualified. I have contacted a company called Get Qualified, and they said my experience can be transitioned/recognised as comparable to a Graduate Diploma  - http://qualifyme.edu.au/qualifications/graduate-diploma-of-management-learning/ . This qualification is nationally recognised.
        This is actually higher than a Bachelor Degree (Undergraduate program). On Vetassess website, it says that in order to get a positive skills assessment, I require a qualification comparable or higher than a Bachelor Degree for my chosen occupation. So, in theory, if I get this qualification, would that be sufficient for a positive assessment?

      • By Victorexpact
        Hi everyone,

        I’m about to submit my visa application (189) today but I just got one last doubt on the education history part:

        I graduated from a Bachelor degree (Electrical Engineering) back in France and it is my Nominated occupation for the 189 visa. (Engineers Australia assessed my skills only based on my undergrad qualifications in France).
        Now, I am currently studying a Master degree in Sydney in a different field (commerce), not related to the nominated occupation for the visa 189. (I will only graduate at the end of this year and I am not claiming any points for it).
        When I’m at the Education part, I need to choose a ‘Qualification’ for my Postgrad studies in Australia.

        Should I select ‘Master degree’ or ‘Other – Non AQF accreditation’?

        It would make sense to select ‘Other – Non AQF accreditation’ since I’m not claiming any points, however, since AQF stands for Australian Qualification Framework, it made me doubt...

        Thank you,