Elderly care nursing in oz

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest JoanneHattersley

:idea:

I work in elderly care retirement village. I am happy to answer any questions about elderly care nursing. If you post them on this thread then I will pick them up as will other RNs.

If any other RNs want to start threads on their areas of nursing then we could get a thing going!!!! LOL!

I'm not an RN but have worked for many years in NZ as a caregiver (not sure what they call it in Oz) in a rest home. I've had experience in hospital, dementia and rest home, including supervisory and administering medication. However, I have never done a Cert III aged care as it seemed pointless for those of us who'd already been doing it for years. All of our new employees are now doing this (funded by the company) and there is talk that you may not be able to find employment in Aged Care without it despite your experience. Is this the situation in Australia? I've seen some ads that state this as a requirement and some that don't mention it at all.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Kiwi

I've been looking into Aged Care Worker on behalf of one of our Members. I've seen one advert that said, "AQF III desirable along with First Aid & CPR but not essential." The others have either been less specific about AQF III or they have not mentioned it at all. I did find a course that can be done by distance learning relatively inexpensively:

Certificate III in Aged Care Work CHC30102 • Cengage Education

My sister works for Silver Chain in Perth. She is currently doing the Aged Care AQF III by distance learning. Apparently Silver Chain do not rely on it for recruitment because it is a relatively new course. However they do consider it "best practice" that their employees should do the course so they are encouraging their existing employees to do it.

Best wishes

Gill

Much the same as here then. I have First Aid already, and at the place I work everyone has to do CPR annually, but the idea of doing that Cert III is a bit wearisome, especially if I have to pay to be taught what I've been doing for years. :frown:

I have noticed in Oz that they expect you to pay for your own training. I saw an ad that suggested you didn't need the Cert III, but had to be willing to undertake it "at your own expense". I was also astonished to see several ads for similar jobs where the applicant was required to pay for their own police check, which is apparently valid for 6 months and becomes your own property. In NZ, if the company wants a police check they pay for it, and it isn't something you take to your next interview because you could've committed a crime the next day. Each employer pays to get a new police check.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Methods/Terminology in nursing is very different here in Oz to the UK. I found that! Even with simple things like .....I said rota, Ozzies call it a roster. I say pyrexia (increased temp) Aussies say febrile! Its the simple things that are different!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Joanne,

I am looking to relocate to Perth or Brisbane with hubby and 3 young children.Trained in general nursing 20 years ago, then in learning disabilities nursing, and have always worked in learning disabilities. Presently working with elderly clients with learning disability/mental health.Am worried about my clinical experience, don't have much!Am looking to get 457 visa . Is elderly care good to work in, are employers supportive?Can you get PR soon ?Loads of questions!Would love some replys!

Thanks Oonagh

Guest JoanneHattersley
Trained in general nursing 20 years ago, then in learning disabilities nursing, and have always worked in learning disabilities. Presently working with elderly clients with learning disability/mental health.Am worried about my clinical experience, don't have much!

I hadnt worked in hospitals for 10 years. They wont take you into hospitals unless you have recent experience.

Am looking to get 457 visa .

Do you have someone to sponsor you then? I was sponsored by a nursing agency who placed me in my nursing home as "agency staff". The unit I was placed on took me f/t and after 4 months bought me out of the agency and took over my sponsorship. I am still there 4 years later!

Is elderly care good to work in, are employers supportive?

I find it ok! I work for Wesley Mission Brisbane. Google them! They are very supportive, I find much more than the UK!

Can you get PR soon ?

I got PR after 2 years. Probably could have applied sooner but didnt! No reason. They sponsored me through PR. PR application took 6 months. Most of that was waiting for a consultant appointment at hospital as I have epilepsy and they flagged that in my medical! More money for PR application. With medicals, applications, etc etc we didnt get much change out of 3500$

Guest cheshire lass

I work in Aged Care,all states are different. i work in Vic. Worked for many years without Cert 3 but did it 6 years ago did it and comp paid. you won't get far now without it. i did 1 day a week for 1 year and worked the others. Some will offer a trainieeship to do it and work with them as well. There is also quite a few Agencys around that do In Home Care. With all Aged Care work it is not full time and many places will give you a few hours/shifts to see how you work and then you build up your roster eventually.Good for someone wanting a bit extra to supplement the income. i work average 40 hours fortnite in a facility and have another job in Home Care for about 15hours f/n. The course is mainly bookwork about all the rules and regulations and towards the end you do 6 weeks unpaid in a facility to learn Hands on. if you are already working in the same field while studying you don't have to do this bit. Hope i haven't confused you more ! if there is anything else fire away :chatterbox:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Elderly care home I work in offers permanent part time (16hrs and over). Since starting I have had a regular 73-76 hours per fortnight

I did aged care in the community when i arrived in Brisbane. I dont have cert 3 and didnt have first aid cert, all i had was my NVQ 2 in community care plus moving & handling, food hygiene etc and all the other little certs you pick up along the way. The job ads did state must have cert 3 so dont let this put you off.

Hope this helps anyone moving out.

Cal x

thanks great post as this is the area I am interested in getting into. I have no training and my experience is over ten years old as I have been home with my children for the last 7 years. I am willing to start at the bottom and have been doing a nvq here in the uk (dementia care) but am unlikely to have completed this before moving back to oz. I am a little worried now that actually I am not really employable at all. is this area very competative...who can I contact regards to training I am willing to pay for coarses as I don't think I will get a foot in the door otherwise.. any advise greatly appreciated.

Can I be cheeky and ask what aged care workers get paid in Oz

Here in NZ we have just been promoted to fourteen dollars fifty ph. :mad:

Guest 0405delboy

Hey Johatts,

Could you tell me if there are other jobs within aged care requiring cert III that arent necessarily hands on with patients?? Like cleaning, laundry, kitchen etc?? Sister in law is entitled to free certificate but would like to work in environment butnot too hands on at the start!! Any advice would be great! Cheers!

0405delboy :wubclub:

thanks great post as this is the area I am interested in getting into. I have no training and my experience is over ten years old as I have been home with my children for the last 7 years. I am willing to start at the bottom and have been doing a nvq here in the uk (dementia care) but am unlikely to have completed this before moving back to oz. I am a little worried now that actually I am not really employable at all. is this area very competative...who can I contact regards to training I am willing to pay for coarses as I don't think I will get a foot in the door otherwise.. any advise greatly appreciated.

If you can get the NVQ finished i would, Have a word with your examiner and see if she will help you get it done slightly quicker, explain your reasons why. I would apply for jobs here regardless if they state Cert 3 required, try to phone rather than send a CV and explain you are a new migrants, what NVQ you have and you are WILLING to attend any training courses whilst in thier employment.

I havnt looked closely at Care vacancies for a month or so but when i was looking companys looked as desperate for staff as the UK was, there are always jobs in the weekly paper.Dont limit yourself to responding to job ad's either, approach care companys out of the phone directory,paper etc.

Good Luck

Cal x

thanks cal will definately try to get finished...will give me the confidence to apply for positions as it is all a bit scary having not worked for so long....also quite interested in the pay rates...

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hey Johatts,

Could you tell me if there are other jobs within aged care requiring cert III that arent necessarily hands on with patients?? Like cleaning, laundry, kitchen etc?? Sister in law is en***led to free certificate but would like to work in environment butnot too hands on at the start!! Any advice would be great! Cheers!

0405delboy :wubclub:

There are always cleaning and kitchen (Hospitality its called here!). Our laundry is contracted out. Dont need cert 3 for them. Sorry I didnt answer sooner, I had logged on at work and have only just got home! L-O-N-G day!

thanks cal will definately try to get finished...will give me the confidence to apply for positions as it is all a bit scary having not worked for so long....also quite interested in the pay rates...

Hiya

It was 2 years ago when i was working in care but the wage was about $20 pr hour.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Guest cheshire lass

I work in a small aged care facility 60 beds, i have cert 3, the rate of pay is the same for PC work as it is for Domestic (cleaning) and the Laundry. As i am a jack of all trades i do all 3! :spinny: the current rate is $19.30 extra 17.70 for after 5pm work and extra 9.65 for weekend work not forgetting the 41cents Hour for nauseous. We buy our own uniform. I am never short of work, if you want to work in Aus its there, i have never been out of work and i have never had just 1 job,sometimes i have had 3 on the go in 1 day. Depends if i am saving for a trip,like i am at the moment. Thailand here i come in July. Thought i would give the UK a miss this year.

If you are a good worker,available at the drop of a hat you will get the jobs

OMG. :realmad:

That's a decent wage for a responsible job, unlike ours. I was pretty sure I could get such work easily but had no idea the wage would be that good. I thought maybe 16 or 17. Not sure why there is a lower rate for evening though?

Just out of curiosity are there laws regarding medication distirbution, ie does it have to be done by an RN? Because here, we have to be trained to do it if needed, but when I have filled in for such shifts I get no more money for doing it, despite the responsibility.

Guest cheshire lass

PC's dispense the medication after training if that is one of your duties,there is no extra pay for it.We have RNs too but they do wound care and other duties. The evening shift pay i quoted earlier is wrong. We get 19.30 hour and if the shift is 4 hours we get paid for 5 hours the fifth hour is paid at 17.70.These are before tax figures. Does that make sense? These are perm part time rates so you get public hols off with pay and holiday and sick pay. My other job i work for a private Agency that do Inhome community care and that is Casual at a higher rate$19.42 Public Hols we can work for $48.55 we get travelling between clients at 50c Klm

Well, that's good to know, I'm in same position, i have worked with the elderly for 7 years, although only part time, due to having small children, i have my NVQ 2 First Aid, Manual Handling, Food and Hygiene Certificates, i work in the Community, I'm hoping to carry on with same work when we come out to OZ... will be coming on OH visa so i would only be looking for part time or hour to fit in between school hours, will this be possible ????

Archived