How lively is Brisbane?

Guest morleydog

Guest morleydog

Hello all - Would be grateful for some advice - I have the potential to move out to Brisbane & work in the CBD early 2009. Originally I had hoped for a move to Sydney, but a role has come up in Brisbane that appears very attractive.

Making the potential move would be myself & my wife and I will be on a 457 visa with my company who are sponsoring me. My partner will be working once she finds work after we arrive & get settled.

We both like being out and about most nights and am hoping that Brisbane will have plenty to offer for us. What would you views be versus a city such as Syd or Melbourne?

Cheers all

Guest Paul Farris

Brisbane is certainly not as buzzin' as Sydney but I would rank it closely with Melbourne. The city itself is not huge (compared with London for example) but offers just about everything you'll need.

If nightlife and clubbing is your thing then you'll spend plenty of nights in Fortitude Valley which is the main area for clubs, restaurants, bars etc.... The Valley attracts a young crowd at night and gets packed with clubbers but also offers plenty of good daytime shopping with lots of boutique style stores you don't see in the CBD.

Some more info here

P

Guest Happyone
Hello all - Would be grateful for some advice - I have the potential to move out to Brisbane & work in the CBD early 2009. Originally I had hoped for a move to Sydney, but a role has come up in Brisbane that appears very attractive.

Making the potential move would be myself & my wife and I will be on a 457 visa with my company who are sponsoring me. My partner will be working once she finds work after we arrive & get settled.

We both like being out and about most nights and am hoping that Brisbane will have plenty to offer for us. What would you views be versus a city such as Syd or Melbourne?

Cheers all

You need to be around New Farm/Teneriffe. There are some really cool apartments - Woolstores, London Apartments, Cutters Landing buildings. You have so many great restaurants and bars open late, and the Powerhouse which has a huge range of plays and live shows. It's nothing like the buzz of Sydney, it's more laid-back and we always seem to meet people randomly when we go out for dinner as everyone's really friendly. You can also get really dressed up to go out or just be super casual, so that's a plus. You're also close to the Valley for alternate type music with venues like The Tivoli hosting a lot of good bands. I find Fortitude Valley more for 18-30s while New Farm/Teneriffe (next door) is 25-plus. We're in our 30's and eat out 3-4 times a week and that's where we head, whether it's a cocktail or a show or a huge dinner.

Obviously you have more choice in Sydney & Melbourne but we find everyone is just so darn friendly here, and we have some great up-and-coming chefs using good local produce. The Valley was also named Australia's live music capital for nurturing new bands and talent in 2006.

Guest Paul Farris
Sorry to hijack the post but are you the paul farris from Uptown records?

Hi Richie

That's me!! :spinny:

Thanks for the text... Shame you couldn't make it down to the club. I'm there again this Saturday if your up for it 11-2am.

Paul.

Archived