Advice - Childminder

Guest Sian9181

Guest Sian9181

Hi everyone, just wondering how I go about continuing with my childminding in Perth. I have got qualifications her from NCMA but only recognised in England and Wales. I know you have to register with local council in Aus but how do I get qualified by their standards. Is there a short course I can do there or will I have to totally retrain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sian x:jiggy:

Home: Family Day Care Australia: leading the way in childcare

try this site, very useful lots of info and if you can spare the time and money you can also ring them, they are very helpful. I have joined for about $40 so that I can access thier publications and hopefully some training, I am hoping to get a coordinators job when one comes up in an suitable area. I used to work for ncma as a network coordinator and tutor.

I spoke to Early Childhood Victoria about my NVQ3 which was assessed and passed as equivelent to a 2 year full time or part time course and gives me qualified childcare worker status, you would need to find out about the criteria for Perth. If you have ICP, DCP, ECP (althogether CCP) or the newer qualification DHC although this is a level 3 qualification on the CACHE framework I am not sure how it is recognised in Australia.

You do have to register, I think you can only set up as a home childcarer as 'family daycare' if there is room of you in the scheme for your area so it may be worth contacting some of the schemes (should find them on the website) to see where they need people.

There is little or no financial help to set up, you have to pay for all training, I think the costs are higher than in the UK but I think work is more stable once you are registered and on a scheme.

I hope this helps

Karen

Archived