Qualifications

Tids

Hi Everyone, i am 35 and just starting to look into the all process of getting into Oz to hopefuly give my wife and 2 children a better life, I completed a 4 year apprenticeship in fabrication and welding have City and Guilds certificerts to part 3 and over 15yrs experience, does anyone know if this is acceptable or where i have to send my qualifications to get them accepted? and the best sites to apply for visas? i will be grateful of any help at all, also in your experience is the hassel worth it?

Cheers Craig

Guest James.S

Hi, i would have thought it would be fine given your experiance, best bet is to get a visa agnet to help you, hve a look one here or even google 'migration to australia' and you will get a list, they will be able to give you loads of advice even if you don't end up using them!

Have a look at the following post on here if you want, it's in the money and finance forum section,

Jobs & Money... The (almost) Definitive Answer!

You will get a good idea of how much you can earn! very useful, it's one of the things i think is probably most relevant given the current climate!

Good luck anyway..

James..

:jimlad:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Craig

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I'm not a migration agent and I am completely useless on the subject of skills assessments. A guy called Roger Laws is an expert on them and somebody who has consulted him has published a copy of Roger Laws' advice to him:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/48451-would-we-able-migrate.html

You need to work out what your occupation is in Ozzie Parlance first of all.

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Are you a Welder or are you something else?

If you find the Ozzie version of your occupation, scroll down the page and you will see whether you have to do your skills assessment via Trades Recognition Australia or via Vetassess. My guess would be TRA?

If TRA are involved then the next step is to work out whether you comply with their Uniform Assessment Criteria for one of the skilled Pathways:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/FA0FD1E1-8B74-4C11-AFBB-2C159890FF80/0/UniformAssessmentCriteriaSeptember2007.pdf

But please believe me when I say that bowling around looking for forms to complete simply IS NOT the right way to tackle the whole process at this stage. Ideally, you would start by studying the DIAC website and working out which visa(s) you would be eligible for and then, after that, working out what you need to do for the skills assessment. In a way, you have to plan the whole thing backwards and then execute Plan A by moving forward to get the skills assessment and then apply for the visa:

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

Some people find the DIAC website and the TRA website easy to follow. Personally I find the TRA website unintelligible but that is probably because I've never tackled an application for a skilled visa for real (and frankly wouldn't want to! The visas are easy enough to understand and the DIAC website is first rate but I am not convinced by the TRA website.

About 50% of our members choose to use Agents to give them a hand with the whole thing. Expect to part with somewhere between £1,500 and £3,000 for the Agent's profit costs if you decide to use an Agent. Do NOT go to one who does not offer you a fixed fee. I have seen the ones that start off looking relatively cheap but the bills for the Agent's fees come rolling in because everything is "extra" it turns out. Don't pay 100% up front, either. Good Agents break the job down into sections and you pay up front only for the section that the Agent is actually going to do at that time.

I've never used a visa agent and, as I say, I haven't a clue about skills assessments but I think the breakidown is:

1st payment: Agent goes through all the documents you have supplied and makes sure that you are eligible for whichever visa(s) it might be - you may be eligible for more than one.

2nd Payment: Agent guides you through the skills assessment process.

3rd Payment: Agent submits and manages the visa application on your behalf.

Some people use an Agent for all 3 stages. Others use the Agent for the first two stages but then handle the visa application by themselves. Others don't use Agents at all - so that really comes down to what you feel most comfortable with and what you are prepared to pay for.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived