Custom Checks

Guest Neesie

Hi

Can anyone explain what happens when your goods are checked by Customs?

Do they open ALL the boxes or just randomly pick which they think need to be checked ie garden equipment, underwear boxes (only joking).

Just wondering about the extent of the customs procedures - please understand nothing dodgy planned but if they have to go through everything surely this will take an age to get clearance.

Is there a usual amount of time for clearance or is that an individual thing?

Just want to be prepared for letting my son know how long he may be without his Playstation!:arghh:

Thx

Guest fergie family

Hi Neesie

Sorry I dont know the answer to this but it is a very good question. I will be looking out for any replies.

Susan

Guest slipshot
Hi

Can anyone explain what happens when your goods are checked by Customs?

Do they open ALL the boxes or just randomly pick which they think need to be checked ie garden equipment, underwear boxes (only joking).

Just wondering about the extent of the customs procedures - please understand nothing dodgy planned but if they have to go through everything surely this will take an age to get clearance.

Is there a usual amount of time for clearance or is that an individual thing?

Just want to be prepared for letting my son know how long he may be without his Playstation!:arghh:

Thx

I know it is difficult as every state is different, and I also believe it depends on who the shipping agents are in Aus collecting your goods, how well packed and listed it was in the first place, whether they have any doubts at the time, how good or bad they are feeling.

That said, I don;t think you ever know how much they looked at. When mine was packed originally and then arrived in Melbourne, I could tell a few boxes had been opened but it seemed as if the items had not really been disturbed at all. Thus they just seemed to be checking that what the listing said was what was actually in the box.

I guess they'll work like most customs - randomly pick shipments for a thorough checking and that will delay it.

Can you not take the PS2 in your luggage with you?

Guest JoanneHattersley

agree with above poster. Ours had definately been opened too but nothing disturbed. Yet friends of ours have had numerous things damaged and a games console was "taken" from their boxes.

All depends on who, what, why and where Id say!

I know it is difficult as every state is different, and I also believe it depends on who the shipping agents are in Aus collecting your goods, how well packed and listed it was in the first place, whether they have any doubts at the time, how good or bad they are feeling.

That said, I don;t think you ever know how much they looked at. When mine was packed originally and then arrived in Melbourne, I could tell a few boxes had been opened but it seemed as if the items had not really been disturbed at all. Thus they just seemed to be checking that what the listing said was what was actually in the box.

I guess they'll work like most customs - randomly pick shipments for a thorough checking and that will delay it.

Can you not take the PS2 in your luggage with you?

Good idea - He could live without his PS2 for a short time but if Santa's good to him and he gets a PS3 then he will probably hand carry it......no-one would be able to prize it from his grip! I've seen posts that say they actually work over there so hopefully if Santa brings one he'll make sure it's compatable. You wouldn't think my son was 35 (Ha) no he's actually 16! :cutexmas: Lets hope Santa's good to us all X

Archived