Beware planning

Guest hazel and dave

Guest hazel and dave

Hi all,

Just a heads up about buying a house. We nearly bought a house with the projected Frankston Freeway through the back garden! Is a lovely little house, with a nature reserve almost as the back garden... or so we thought!

It wasn't until I had a good look at the Melways that I realised it is the proposed freeway reserve, not a nature reserve. I looked online and phoned the roads people and it is due to be built 50m from the back gate! Despite being assured by the roads people, and most Aussies we spkoe to, that it was never likely to be built and had been in the Melways since the 60's, we pulled out. Good job too as they have just announced that work is due to start in the next few months! The best $500 bucks I've ever spent.

My point is that we asked everyone involved about the status of the land behind the house and they all well.....lied or rather obscured the truth. There appears to be no obligation to tell the truth at all.

That aside, we've bought a lovely house now in a better area for the same amount of dosh so all's well and good.

Just beware folks and check things out independently.

Hi all,

Just a heads up about buying a house. We nearly bought a house with the projected Frankston Freeway through the back garden! Is a lovely little house, with a nature reserve almost as the back garden... or so we thought!

It wasn't until I had a good look at the Melways that I realised it is the proposed freeway reserve, not a nature reserve. I looked online and phoned the roads people and it is due to be built 50m from the back gate! Despite being assured by the roads people, and most Aussies we spkoe to, that it was never likely to be built and had been in the Melways since the 60's, we pulled out. Good job too as they have just announced that work is due to start in the next few months! The best $500 bucks I've ever spent.

My point is that we asked everyone involved about the status of the land behind the house and they all well.....lied or rather obscured the truth. There appears to be no obligation to tell the truth at all.

That aside, we've bought a lovely house now in a better area for the same amount of dosh so all's well and good.

Just beware folks and check things out independently.

Dont know it was i=on the news a couple of months a couples house was in te way of some freeway or otherr building mite have been a mall well they sat it out and eventually took $2 or 3 million talk about deal or no deal. I f its anything like roadbuildin in Wa the house will have probs fell down before they had built it

Mally

Guest homeiown.com

Not only you should think twice about houses with the proposed freeway 100m away, but also about the noise level in the whole surrounding area, and consider the changes in traffic on the adjacent roads that it will drive. What also matters is whether your house is above the future road or beneath it, if it's above then you will get more noise.

There will be a lot of property going on the market as the proposed Frankston Bypass which I presume you are talking about will go ahead and yes its been on the Melway as long as we have lived here over 30 years. Vic roads has owned a lot of the land for years as well and leases it out to people.

Am so pleased you did your homework, do you believe an agent who is selling a house check all the things yourself.

Saw another thread on another forum where people had bought and they wanted particular school only to find out that the house was not in the zone.

Any house which is over 20 years old you should check that it has insulation in the roof probably won't have it in the walls you could check that too. Also any termites as they did not treat back then.

Another thing about Frankston is if you are buying on a bus route find out where the bus goes, you can end up living quite close but find that the bus goes around the world before it gets to where you are living. There are several buses that serve the area.

Frankston High School zone is the area most people with children want to be in. They are very strict about it too.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest buyhomes

Hai,

Before trying to sell please check it out

Check the major systems.

After size, style and location, a home buyer's primary concern is the condition of the basic structure and major electro-mechanical systems. Most buyers do not want to invest a great deal of money correcting problems in such critical areas. A thorough investigation of the following major items should be made in order to determine if they are serviceable:

• Roof structure and covering

• Foundation, basement, and/or crawl space

• Central heating and air conditioning systems

• Electrical system

• Plumbing systemMake maintenance improvements.

The maintenance improvements listed below are relatively easy and inexpensive to make, yet they can substantially improve a home's appearance, efficiency and comfort.

• Trim trees and shrubs which touch or overhang the house.

• Apply new caulking and weatherstripping as needed around windows and doors.

• Clean gutters of debris and leaves, repair or replace cracked or broken gutters, downspouts and extensions to ensure proper drainage

• Replace bathroom caulk or grout where necessary to prevent seepage and improve appearance.

• Ventilate closed basements and crawl spaces, or install a dehumidifier to prevent excessive.

• Regrade soil around the house to prevent ponding of water next to the foundation

• Replace dirty filters in the heating and ventilating systems

• Have the heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems professionally serviced

• Have chimneys professionally cleaned & inspected, and install chimney hoods and caps as required. For wood-burning installations insist on a WETT Certified Technician.

Pay attention to details.

Fixing even minor items can go a long way toward improving that important first impression of your home. Here are some improvements which you might consider:

• Repair leaky faucets

• Tighten loose door knobs

• Replace damaged screens

• Replace broken panes of glass - cloudy sealed-pane units can often be replaced inexpensively, and will drastically improve the appearance of a window or patio door.

• Replace burned-out light bulbs, and wherever possible, replace broken light fixtures

• Secure loose railings

• Patch small holes in walls and ceilings and repaint

• Repair or replace faded or peeling wallpaper

• Repair and coat the driveway

• Take safety precautions.

Pay attention to items relating to protecting the home and its occupants from danger. The following are important safety precaution which home buyers will appreciate, are relatively easy to implement and shouldn't cost a lot. And they'll create a great impression!

• Installing good quality smoke detectors

• Installing a good quality carbon-monoxide detector

• Ensure adequate outdoor lighting, especially in suburban and rural locales

• 'GFCI' outlets outdoors and in wet locations such a bath & laundry areas.

• Keep the stairwells tidy and free of debris and obstructions, and leave plenty of clearance around the garage door, electrical panel and furnace.

• Keep flammables and combustibles away from the furnace and other utility areas.

• If you have direct entry from the garage to the interior of the home, consider installing a hydraulic or other form of auto-closure device on the door.

• Check the 'down' tension on garage door openers, and ensure that the door reverses without an excessive amount of pressure.

http://www.buyhomesnetwork.com

Archived