Anyone heading to Townsville

Guest dobber

Hi this my first post with a little help from a couple on of people on here, we are thinking of heading to Townsville this time next year, just received my trade assessment successful papers and we are now applying for a 176 visa. Does anyone have any views / info about Townsville as a place to head for, stayed there for a while in my backpacking days and enjoyed it, wondered if it has changed much.

:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Lived in Townsville and Darwin for 38 years of my life, been in the UK now for 17 years. Currently waiting for spouses visa to head back to Queensland and retire.

It depends what you are looking for. Weather is quite humid in the wet season but usually excellent from say April - September, clear blue skies and pleasant.

I usually return to Townsville for holidays once a year and can say that has overheated real estate wise but is coming off the boil.

Has rapidly expanded in recent years some say too quickly.

Beaches are good as they are elsewhere in Australia as well.

Employment wise I guess it depends on your line of work and how deeply the recession bites.

Guest Rob7341

Thanks for that. I'm a Geologist and have a job lined up for when I get there. Hopefully the weather will not be too extreme as everyone seems to think. Whats it like for shopping/going out?

Currently in the UK myself and relocating there for the job (seeing as nothing happening Geology wise in the UK)

Thanks for that. I'm a Geologist and have a job lined up for when I get there. Hopefully the weather will not be too extreme as everyone seems to think. Whats it like for shopping/going out?

Currently in the UK myself and relocating there for the job (seeing as nothing happening Geology wise in the UK)

The weather there can be oppressive October - March with very high humidity, however it is possible to acclimatise. over a couple of years.

The supermarkets are in many ways similar to the UK although are mostly in shopping centres outside the inner city. Have heard complaints that supermarkets in Australia are not as good as Sainsbury's, however we don't shop at Sainsbury's here.

The english village pubs don't exist in Australia however there are good restaurants in Townsville, obviously life is more outdoor orientated.

Some say its a culture vacuum- I don't necessarily agree but am not too much into opera, plays etc.

Certainly tv in the UK is far superior to australian tv.

Mate, quick heads up; the backside has fallen out of the geology market right now - a couple of major mines have closed in WA and they've all come over here looking. If your potential job in in consulting you might be OK, but if it's in mining really double check that it's guaranteed as there's an excess of people with Australian degrees and experience on the market.

I'm a geo in Mackay, next town down. Weather very heavy and humid as it's coming into the wet season. You will suffer for a few months, but the dry is nice in this area.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Rob7341
Mate, quick heads up; the backside has fallen out of the geology market right now - a couple of major mines have closed in WA and they've all come over here looking. If your potential job in in consulting you might be OK, but if it's in mining really double check that it's guaranteed as there's an excess of people with Australian degrees and experience on the market.

I'm a geo in Mackay, next town down. Weather very heavy and humid as it's coming into the wet season. You will suffer for a few months, but the dry is nice in this area.

Thanks for the heads up Eera. I gave my employer a quick ring to make sure all was well. I've been told everything still going ahead as normal - should I still be worried? I'm hoping to not have to turn out and be oust in a matter of months. Its one of the majors in Oz, so I was thinking I should be ok? Any info on how geology has been hit will be really helpful as I want to be certain about the sector prior to moving. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a few people I know end up in locations they weren't expecting due to a mine slow-down; one girl got quite happily settled in Townsville, and ended up having to work in Tom Price or one of those other arse-end-of-nowhere mines as they simply didn't have enough work for her on the east coast.

Bear in mind that you tend to work for the company, not the mine, so if they need a geo at some other mine you'll end up going there instead.

Hope it works out well for you, I wouldn't be planning on making any moves untill you have signed a cast-iron contract though; there's a hell of a lot of uncertaintly here right now

Archived