how much £

hillyman

Hi

l know this may sound a silly question but how much money do you need to

take to australia (brisbane) to start a new life i know the more the merrier but the

money where taking with us is all tied up in the house and with the market as it is it's

unlikley we,ll get the asking price, where willing to drop the price in order to get to oz but if you need a small fortune to make a realistic go of it then we need to ask our selves can we realy aford it,unless we wait another year or so but at 44 time is

not on our side,the only other alternative is to forget about oz and make do with this

rain drenched country.

i know this is not a brilliant question to ask but any information would help

Hi

Sorry I have no idea. I am also interested in replies.

We have sold our house but lost a lot of money so wont be taking very much with us.

We see as long as we have enough for a 6 months rent, some furniture a cheap run around car and enough for food and essentials until OH can get work then we will be ok.

We are hoping he will get a job within a few weeks so we will still have some savings.

Jill

xxx

Guest James.S

Hi, we have the same dilema, we are leaving for Oz in december, we have just had to drop our asking price massively, if we sell we will be taking £50k, if not we will take out a loan for £25k and rent it out, we will then sell in a couple of years but not expect any income from it in the mean time as it will get eaten up with mortgage and loan and insurance and management etc etc...

I figured it is enough to live on.... i hope!

All the best,

James..

Hi jill & james

This must be a question a lot of us have asked ourselves,were want to start a new life in a new country,our life savings wrapped up in our proprties the housing market flat on its face,do we delay going for what most if not all of us call our dream untill the housing market kick starts again or do we go for it ? someone must have gone to oz with an amount of money weather large or small and made it work or at least tried to make it work,any and all comments welcome especially the helpful ones.

paula.

Hi Mate,

We moved to Brisbane on the 22nd of October and came with very little money but i did have a job to come out to. We had to put down 4 weeks rental bond and 6 weeks rent as i needed to cover all payments until my 1st pay cheque

$5200 = bond and 6 weeks rent

$500 = 1st big shop

$100 = mobile phone & $30 credit

$3000 = TV, Setteee and household essential i.e Iron, saucepans etc

We arrived into the shell of a house as most rental homes are unfurnished and went and bought all the essentials on the 1st day. Alot of companies can do same day delivery on beds, TV's etc

Cars are also very reasonable - alot of towns have "local rental companies" which are half the price of hertz, avis etc. the cars are sometimes older but we found ours to be superb and at $35 ad say very reasonable.

Depends on what work you do and what location but I find the trains very reliable and very frequent i.e 1 every 10-15 minutes.

We have easily made on move on £10k and thats with a family of 5! You really don't alot to start a better life in Auz. We have found it's alll about the out doors... The beaches near us have electric BBQ's so you just take a cool box and some meat down the beach and have a great day out and costs you next to nothing.

The cost of relocatin can be done for as little or much as you want - we didn't bring savings with us but it hasn't stopped us settling in and having to skimp and save here and there. It would be different if I hadn't a job I would have liked probably 3 times that amount of money to move for security as the job market is starting to slow down over here. I work in recruitment and most of the people I have spoken to have said how slow things are... in IT and the Senior end of the market there are alot of redundancies over here and lots of senior people out of work and currently looking.

If you need any more information feel free to message me with any questions.

Have a good one

Shane

Guest treesea

What kind of work do you do? Australia can be pretty ageist when it comes to getting jobs, unless you have a useful sort of occupation - plumber, brick layer, electrician, bus driver, hair dresser, nurse, teacher - in which case you could probably get work within three to six months.

This site might be helpful. They have quite detailed cost of living information: www.portaloceania.com/au-life-costs-ing

Houses and flats are usually rented unfurnished. So they usually have a cooker, carpets and air conditioning, but not much else. My advice would be to buy a cheap car when you get there, then buy second hand until you are on your feet and can afford brand new stuff. A good place to start is a local newspaper called The Trading Post. Also online if you want to look them up : www.tradingpost.com.au. I also recommend www.cracker.com.au for garage sales (like car boots, but run from home). It's a great way to get to know the city. You have to start early, usually on a Saturday, and you just cruise along from sale to sale, picking up bits and pieces you want for a song. www.egaragesales.com.au is pretty good too.

There can be a lot of competition when it comes to renting flats, especially near the CBD. We stayed in hostels when we first moved to Australia. It took about two months to get a flat. Maybe Brisbane would be easier though than Sydney or Melbourne for accommodation. For accommodation costs for rent, you could check out LJ Hooker or Ray White, which are two large real estate firms up there, or check out www.ourbrisbane.com. My uncle and his family lived in Bardon, which seemed quite a nice area, not far from the city. Free standing houses with polished floors, sometimes with swimming pools, as I recall. $400 to $600 a week or so for a three bedroom house.

Guest James.S
Hi jill & james

This must be a question a lot of us have asked ourselves,were want to start a new life in a new country,our life savings wrapped up in our proprties the housing market flat on its face,do we delay going for what most if not all of us call our dream untill the housing market kick starts again or do we go for it ? someone must have gone to oz with an amount of money weather large or small and made it work or at least tried to make it work,any and all comments welcome especially the helpful ones.

paula.

Paula,

It's a nightmare what to do descission, one we have been toying with for ages... what we have come to is whatever feels the best is probably the right one.... so to go as a

soon as possible keeps winning!

I put a thread up the other day asking for feedback as to wether we should sell our flat for almost what we paid for it 2 1/2 years ago or rent it out... I had some great replies, all where just go, get the hell out of the uk, some people had gone with a lot less than the £50k i am trying to create by selling and have made a lovely new life for themselves...

So i guess, at every what to question you find yourself asking, just give the most attention to which ever answer makes you feel the happiest... that's what we are doing as ultimately we are trying to tread a happy path for a happy future!

(how corny!!)

All the best,

James..

:smile:

Archived