WHAT CAN I DO?

Guest london cabbie

Guest london cabbie

Hi

I am a london black cab driver,we applied for a visa based on my wife's skills as a barber,we have a friend in brisbane who is going to sponsor her to work in his shop we hope this will be enough to get us in.

So what will i do to get a living ,i have no skills apart from knowing london like the back of my hand and being vetted by the met police as being a "fit and proper person"to drive the public of london wherever they want to go.

But that dont mean too much in australia,all i can do is drive and i dont want to drive a cab in australia but am willing to take hgv test to drive trucks etc.

Does anybody out there know how much drivers can earn?are they needed?or should i re train to something completly different?

I hope someone can answer these questions

thanks....jamie

We stayed in Brisbane in 2005 - we went off to Sydney for a few days - the taxi driver in Sydney dropped us off at the wrong hotel, on our return the taxi driver did not know the suburb my brother lived in so my husband had to direct him - I'd say if you can learn the London Streets then getting a job as a taxi driver here would be no problem (and extreamly welcome to people like me!!)

Ali

Judging by the local Australian papers I have read you can train to do just about anything you want as long as you have the money to pay for it.

By the little information I have it does not sound like they are as reliant on you having a degree like they are in this country now.

I did see something in an Adelaide newspaper about taking HGV lessons and tests so I would imagine if you can do it there you can do it in Brisbane.

Kaye :)

You could always ship a black cab over here and make a mint out of carting people round for the novelty value.. the Aussies are loopy about black cabs.. In fact, at Werribee Plaza at the moment, a ride in a black cab is first prize in some grand raffle !! :wink:

Archived