Area for living near Chatswood

Guest ironmaggi

Guest ironmaggi

Sounds like hubby might have a job there :D Any info for living within 30-40' drive of there would be great. At the moment it's just us 2 but one more is on the way.... so school's etc. would be useful. We're selling a house in NW London so prices shouldn't be too scary seeing as next door went for £1,000,000!

Thanks

Any info for living within 30-40' drive of there would be great.

We live in Artarmon which is 'next door' to Chatswood. Its growing on me actually - although theres not a lot of night life action! There are a few bars and restaurants open there of an evening, but I'd generally get a bus to Crows Nest.

They're currently redeveloping the station at Chatswood and its starting to look quite swanky. Chatswoods v. handy if working in the city because it takes about 20 minutes by train - and has a fairly substantial 'town centre'. Personally I like Thursday nights when all the market stalls are out and they usually have some random entertainment going on. (Thursdays here are generally late night opening)

For house prices check out domain.com.au. Its not that cheap because its fairly close to the city, but there are some lovely areas. Very leafy. Your not right next to the sea, but you're not far off if you want to catch a ferry somewhere from North Sydney for instance (about a 15 minute bus/10 minute train ride from Chatswood) I'm not sure if you'd prefer a house or a unit. we're renting the latter, but if you're going to make a killing from your N. London house, there are some beautiful houses with plenty of room for a growing family.

Culturally - youre looking at a very high proportion of chinese residents- Im just mentioning this because its an obvious observation any visitor would make about Chatswood. It seems a pretty family friendly place and theres enough entertainment to not have to head into the city if you don't want to (theatres, cinemas, gyms and so on)

If theres anything specific you want an opinion on please ask

L :D

Guest ironmaggi

Thanks L! We've now found he'll have to go to Macqurie Park - a little further West which might give us more scope northwards than the CBD [he only wants to commute under 40' if possible - by car or preferably train/bike?] We were hoping for beachfront [stop laughing! :D ] within our price range but advice round there would help.

Thanks again

Maggi

• 1 month later...
Guest ironmaggi

What's Dural meant to be like? someone said it might suit us but I've hardly seen mention of it. I heard Dee Why was expensive for what it was..?

• 3 years later...
We live in Artarmon which is 'next door' to Chatswood. Its growing on me actually - although theres not a lot of night life action! There are a few bars and restaurants open there of an evening, but I'd generally get a bus to Crows Nest.

They're currently redeveloping the station at Chatswood and its starting to look quite swanky. Chatswoods v. handy if working in the city because it takes about 20 minutes by train - and has a fairly substantial 'town centre'. Personally I like Thursday nights when all the market stalls are out and they usually have some random entertainment going on. (Thursdays here are generally late night opening)

For house prices check out domain.com.au. Its not that cheap because its fairly close to the city, but there are some lovely areas. Very leafy. Your not right next to the sea, but you're not far off if you want to catch a ferry somewhere from North Sydney for instance (about a 15 minute bus/10 minute train ride from Chatswood) I'm not sure if you'd prefer a house or a unit. we're renting the latter, but if you're going to make a killing from your N. London house, there are some beautiful houses with plenty of room for a growing family.

Culturally - youre looking at a very high proportion of chinese residents- Im just mentioning this because its an obvious observation any visitor would make about Chatswood. It seems a pretty family friendly place and theres enough entertainment to not have to head into the city if you don't want to (theatres, cinemas, gyms and so on)

If theres anything specific you want an opinion on please ask

L :D

Hi Lynniep,

Thanks for the info in your post. We are moving from Ireland next April and are currently looking at different areas. To be honest what caught my eye about your post was the 'town centre' bit. I have looked at various suburbs on google maps and cannot seem to find any suburbs with a heart like a town centre. Everything is sooo spread out. I am ok with that but I know my OH would have a difficulty in terms of directions having to travel down a highway to buy milk...she gets lost here in our local area and she has lived here 5 years!!!

Do you know anything about Crows nest? Would that have a similar vibe

thanks again

Karl

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks L! We've now found he'll have to go to Macqurie Park - a little further West which might give us more scope northwards than the CBD [he only wants to commute under 40' if possible - by car or preferably train/bike?] We were hoping for beachfront [stop laughing! :D ] within our price range but advice round there would help.

Thanks again

Maggi

Hi there,Ithink your making the right choice there,and and getting a beach front property sounds fantastic. Good luck with your move.

Guest iselinger

You have to decide between Beach (swimming quality) and Water Views because selecting Beach restricts your range to the North Shore from Curl Curl up to Mona Vale in order to meet travel times. If all you want is Water Views then you have a very much wider choice. I live in Castle Cove which has water views over Middle Harbour but its 25 minutes to get to a beach. We have a school, golf club and small parade of shops but its very quiet and rural suburban.

There are many suburbs that fit your requirements what you need to do is have a look at http://www.domain.com.au

If I were looking for street life and restaurants I would choose Crows Nest or Neutral bay but houses and gardens are small or very very expensive as they are closer to the city. Thats where we go when we want to eat out.

good luck

Guest PosmMagic

Have a look at Mosman and the surrounding areas - easily within your commute time as your DH will be going against the traffic and you should be able to get very near to the harbour within your budget.

Guest PosmMagic
Hi Lynniep,

Thanks for the info in your post. We are moving from Ireland next April and are currently looking at different areas. To be honest what caught my eye about your post was the 'town centre' bit. I have looked at various suburbs on google maps and cannot seem to find any suburbs with a heart like a town centre. Everything is sooo spread out. I am ok with that but I know my OH would have a difficulty in terms of directions having to travel down a highway to buy milk...she gets lost here in our local area and she has lived here 5 years!!!

Do you know anything about Crows nest? Would that have a similar vibe

thanks again

Karl

Lynnie,

I don't think Crows Nest is what you're looking for, but lots of place have nice town-centres - not many places I can think of require highway jouneys to get milk!

Have a look at Beecroft - lovely school, good houses, good community feel, big blocks, reasonably up-market without being too pretentious.

Archived