Moving Interstate?

Guest angiebabe

Guest angiebabe

Has anyone made the move from Melbourne to Brisbane?

We are having to relocate due to work situation here in Melbourne and wondered if anyone can give me any advice on things you didn't expect or think about..any differences you were not aware of but wish you had known.

We are driving up there so if anyone can recommend places to stay on route that would be great. Any removal company recommendations would also be appreciated.

We are with 3 here on PAYG is their network coverage any good in QLD or would you change over and to whom?

Also with Bigpond for broadband is that easy to just change over with them, are there extra costs involved?

I am sure i will think of lots more questions soon for you all.

Guest spottymercedes

We are having to relocate due to work situation here in Melbourne and wondered if anyone can give me any advice on things you didn't expect or think about..any differences you were not aware of but wish you had known.

We are driving up there so if anyone can recommend places to stay on route that would be great. Any removal company recommendations would also be appreciated.

We are with 3 here on PAYG is their network coverage any good in QLD or would you change over and to whom?

Also with Bigpond for broadband is that easy to just change over with them, are there extra costs involved?

Hello Angie,

I take it you did not get on well at Warnambool? Is this what you've decided to do now?

So sorry its not going well, let me know if you want to meet again and chat.

Marie:smile:

xx

Guest angiebabe

The job front is not going too well really:no:... so we are off to Brisbane as that's where the work is :yes:

We will meet up..I'll just have to sort a date as we got lots of packing to do.Again!!

Guest taffy 62

I can recomend pickfords. I moved with them from wodonga to brisbane and back again this year !

If you drive the coast route on the pacific highway I recomend merimbula, then the entrance, port macqarie and coffs harbour on the way up.

If you go up on the hume stay in albury then maybe drive accross to the coast after sydney and start from the entrance.

The main difference is the climate it is a lot more humid in Brisbane and also they only get 2 seasons not 4.

Another thing is there is no daylight saving so it get dark early and light early.

I am with Telstra and found mobile coverage great, but with internet there is a problem getting internet lines in some places in Brisbane and its better to go wireless, also its best to wait till you get here to see where your going to live as different places can only pick up different carriers, my daughter cant pick up Telstra where she is and I could only get Telstra where I was!

What do I notice when we go they park funny backwards into bays well they do in Cleveland. Humidity. Shopping hours. Club and pubs are different. Its more like Sydney than Melbourne. Melbourne is completely different to the other States in my view.

We usually drive up the Newell Highway stay in a town along the way when we are tired of driving. Its the most direct route.

Guest The Pom Queen

You know, the lengths some people will go to just so they can have a leaving party, it's got to be at yours this time though:jiggy:

Guest angiebabe

Thanks Taffy 62

We were thinking go up the hume then across to Sydney and drive then coast route probably do 2 stops as we have the kids! Not tried Pickfords so will give them a call

We are stuck with bigpond for 2 years!!..does anyone know how to get out of it?

Have Noticed that with 3 in Melbourne i tend to do a lot of roaming so not sure it would be any better in Brisbane, like you say best to wait..

Guest angiebabe

Forgetmenot, Only been to Melbourne so don't even know what Sydney is like...lol Trying to keep an open mind as we have to make the move

The shopping hours wont bother me as not much of a shopper anyway :twitcy:

Was going to Do the direct route but wasn't sure if it might be boring, so we're thinking go across to coast at Sydney now

Guest angiebabe
You know, the lengths some people will go to just so they can have a leaving party, it's got to be at yours this time though:jiggy:

Yes Miss :wubclub:

Guest taffy 62

Ok I am from Albury Wodonga what we would do is: drive from Melb to Albury about 3.5 hours with a half hour stop, have all you can eat buffet at the commercial club in Albury 1st night its great for kids!

The next day drive to The entrance, with a stop at holbrook let the kids climb all over the submarine, then stop off at gundagai where the dog at the tucker box is ( you may not have heard of this) get to the entrance its about 7 hours drive from Albury.

This is a lovely spot for kids they have a playground on the foreshore and a shallow bay where the kids can paddle as at low tide the water is only knee deep! They have pelican feeding at 3.00pm there.

The next day have a stop at port macquarie its a half hour detour but the beaches are lovely.

Then drive on and spend the night at coffs harbour this has got lots of things for the kids too, like a porpoise pool etc.

The next day stop for lunch at ballina that has a lovely foreshore and is only a couple of hours from brisbane.

This is the trip we have done many times and have found it works well.

If you need cheap accomodation check out www.wotif.com.au we always use this and you can book up up to 4 weeks ahead and save up to 70% off accomodation prices.

I would recomomend staying with big pond if you have wireless as thats got the best coverage in Oz. Dont worry about stuffing around with changes yet you have enough on your plate.

You can Pm me if you need any more info

Luv Taffy

:no::no:

Doooooooonnnnn,t go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did the big trip the otherway around! For the move we used Grace Removals. It cost us $2700 for a 20 foot container. They weren't the cheapest but they were a safe choice and very good. They took a week to transport our stuff as they transfer from local lorries onto a train.

We did the road trip in 2 days, driving about 11 hours a day and staying overnight in Dubbo NSW. The road journey is an adventure in itself - plenty of dead kangaroos on the verges and a long time between towns. Make sure your RACV membership is up to date - just in case! At one point the only landmark the satnav could report was next roundabout 170km. We did have time to pop in and see Parkes Radio Telescope on the way - as seen in a very funny film starring Sam Neil called "The Dish".

As far as I understand, 3 only works in big urban centres, mainly the State Capitals. You may want to take an additional Pay as you Go sim with you for the trip - just in case. Telstra would give you the best coverage.

I didn't have any problems getting Foxtel reconnected, but did have to pay a $120 reconnection charge. If you are out of contract, I suppose you could pose as a new customer in Brisbane and pick up on any free installation special offers. I think I also had to pay for broadband reconnection too.

Guest angiebabe

Thanks for that, you have been a great help...sounds like some very interesting things to see on route...good advice about the extra sim, will sort that out..Have enquired about container and cheapest we can find is $3000 for 20ft..so may do some more phoning around...Still in contract with Foxtel...never mind

I am a little worried about the drive having 2 kids in tow so looking at making 2 stops.. but then again it will be an adventure that some may never experience so quite exciting!!

Archived