State Sponsored Visa

Guest Pitsy

Evening

I have just been told I am eligible for a state sponsored visa for Victoria (Inc Melbourne) based on my IT Management experience.

What would your comments be on Melbourne for IT Project Manager jobs, places to live.

Some people hate it, some people love it so I am confused at present.....

Looking at booking a visit for a few weeks and any advice on when would be best would be greatly appreciated.

Pitsy

Guest Cane Family
Evening

I have just been told I am eligible for a state sponsored visa for Victoria (Inc Melbourne) based on my IT Management experience.

What would your comments be on Melbourne for IT Project Manager jobs, places to live.

Looking at booking a visit for a few weeks and any advice on when would be best would be greatly appreciated.

Pitsy

Hi, welcome to PIO.

I have no idea about Victoria so cant really help you there, but take a look at www.seek.com.au for jobs you will get a feel from there.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Pitsy

Tracy123 (real name Geoffrey) on here is a native of Melbourne and he has only just returned from a month there:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/40960-new-drive-chicken-clickin-crew.html

He is a very friendly character so if you PM him he will do his utmost to answer questions and help you.

Buckbuchanan is a computer wizard like yourself. He and his family moved to Melbourne from Hampshire about 6 months ago. He is a really nice guy as well and again would do his best to help with your questions, plus you could meet him and really discuss the computer industry with him properly during your visit.

This recent thread by Buck might interest you, too:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/40699-jobs.html

The 176 visa, which you have been told about today, is here:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

The State links are all here:

Victoria is here:

Immigrate to Work and Live in Melbourne and Regional Victoria, Australia - Live In Victoria

Hit the link for skilled migrants and then make sure you choose the skills list for the 176 visa, not for the provisional 475 visa.

IT Project Manager is also on the new list for West Australia, by the way, which was published yesterday and is here:

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/priority-skills-list.pdf

There must be a drive to recruit IT people to WA I think because they have added LOADS of different IT jobs to their new list.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi. I moved to Melbourne on a state sponsored visa - at the time that was the only option available to me. It seems that if you want to find an IT job, Melbourne is the place you will find it. The demand for IT in Melbourne seems to be greater than anywhere else in the country, with Sydney a close second (at least that was the case when I was looking). The other capitals don't seem to have much in the way of IT. Having said that though, demand has sharply dropped in the past year. This time last year there were 12-15 new jobs coming up in my field every day, whereas now there only seems to be 1-2. My company has also just announced that they are freezing recruitment for the time being. But, that said, by the time you get your visa things should be on the way up again.

One thing to note with state sponsored visas is that apparently once you get here, if you decide you don't like it you can contact the state and tell them you would rather live elsewhere - from what I hear they don't normally have a problem with this, and in fact someone mentioned on here in the past that they can't legally stop you from moving anywhere in Australia once you have your visa.

As for Melbourne.... the jury is still out with us. I would go as far as to say it is ok. Some areas are nice - some are bloody awful (same as anywhere). It's certainly not a beautiful place. The thing I do like about living here is that there are some stunning places an hour or 2 drive out of the city. Also, there is a general relaxed feeling about living here and the people are absolutely fantastic. The cost of living is pretty much on par with the UK - some things cost more, some cost less - at the end of the day it seems to even out.

Feel free to pm if you need any more info!

Guest The Pom Queen
Evening

Pitsy

Hi Pitsy

We have lived in Melbourne since July 2003 and love the place. I must admit when we arrived it was the middle of winter and it was raining and I wondered what I had let myself in for. We knew no one at all when we arrived and it was like the blind leading the blind. My first thoughts was that it was very much like the UK, I came over thinking it was going to be all red sand, blue skies and palm trees, with hardly any building, how wrong I was.

Melbourne is a place that grows on you, it may not be hot all year round but believe me when you get our 40 degree summer days you are happy to get a cool spell. Also compared to the UK even our winter is better than your summer.

Melbourne is a lot more laid back, and there is a lot less crime, I go out and leave the doors unlocked and at night the car is always unlocked on the drive and the kids bikes are left out in the front garden. In the UK we would have had them stolen by now.

There are so many different suburbs in Melbourne, some I hate (not many just a few) and some I love, but it's finding the right place for you. There are so many out there that it's hard to visit them all, people say the West is rough and the South East is posh, but to be honest there is good and bad in both areas.

I don't find day to day living any cheaper than the UK and although petrol may be cheaper you do a lot more km.

Come out and have a look for yourself see if you can get some interviews arrnaged for when you come out on your reccie.

Good luck with everything.:wubclub:

Kate

• 1 month later...

Hi,

hope this isnt too off topic to ask on your thread, but why do WA class an IT project manager as asco 2231-79 (nec) but the ACS actually list it as coming under IT manager 1224-11. Is there a difference in the roles???

I find it very confusing. My OH is a prince PM like the OP but doesn't have the IT tag in front of his job title (works for a bank). We have finally decided to brave his employers to reference him for an RPL (after years if dilly dallying admittedly) and are still totally bamboozled whther he has anywhere near enough IT experience let alone which code to use :arghh:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

hope this isnt too off topic to ask on your thread, but why do WA class an IT project manager as asco 2231-79 (nec) but the ACS actually list it as coming under IT manager 1224-11. Is there a difference in the roles???

I find it very confusing. My OH is a prince PM like the OP but doesn't have the IT tag in front of his job title (works for a bank). We have finally decided to brave his employers to reference him for an RPL (after years if dilly dallying admittedly) and are still totally bamboozled whther he has anywhere near enough IT experience let alone which code to use :arghh:

Hi Basil

I don't know the answer. Have you tried contacting the State Migration people in WA and VIC respectively to ask them what they think is meant in each case?

Also. have you asked any Migration Agents about it? If not, maybe that would be useful as well?

Best wishes

Gill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Basil

Thanks, its nice to know someone else is going through the same process.

A lot of my experience was with Banks, but my area is large IT projects.

Feel free to drop me a PM to have a chat about the process it would be good totalk to soemone else who is going through it all at the same time.

Carl

Archived