One for the ladies probably!

NTH SHARMAN

I know how hard it can be to find work when you get over here, especially if you have children. I was a Legal Secretary in the UK and worked part time (9 to 2) for a very flexible firm. If I was going to be late - no problem. Just make the time up as and when. It was perfect for us.

When I got here I quickly realised it wasn't going to be a doddle to find a similar job. Sent off CVs, never got replies. Approached agencies - I could hear the phone being put down as soon as I mentioned I had a child amd wanted part time hours.

So, after wondering what the hell I could do, I was chatting to a friend who mentioned she had a cleaner. Now I know it's not a dream job, but it was something I could do to suit my time and lifestyle. So I registered the company name, got an ABN number (easy online), got some business cards printed, advertising magnets for the car doors, and put the word about. Now, two weeks down the line I have five regular Clients and am hooked up with a letting agent who sends me end of rental full cleans to do.

Like I say, its not a dream job, but at least I'm in control and it pays well too.

If anyone else is struggling to find work, it could be an option to tide you over.

T xx

Guest o2coffix001@optusnet.com.

Hi T

Excellent idea !!!!! We are relocating from the Melbourne to Sunshine Coast and that would be a idea for me. I just sold my coffee shop in Melbourne and was thinking what I could do up in the sunshine coast.... Thanks for sharing this with us. WOMEN POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Redaussies

Well, I think you deserve a big pat on the back for three reasons. One, your initiative in thinking this through. Two, your prepared to revert to a less skilled job (as some may think - I dont by the way) to get yourself moving not like some Prima Donnas. And three your obviously a hard worker. I hope it all works out for you. sign-smiley-6799.gif

I do think there are a lot of opportunities here in Oz for a small business worker. I see dozens of small gardener firms around, doing everything from lawns to path cleaning and so on. Domestic work is probably the same, and I bet there are many opportunities for other domestic things, typical example being laundry and ironing, even cooking. Really well done, I hope it goes a bomb for you. hey and lets be honest, you can't beat working for yourself can ya!!!

REDDERS.

Thanks guys.

Just came back to add something that I forgot to say.... I also charge more per hour than I could ever earn as a Secretary.

I'm also thinking of offering a take away ironing service as a couple of my regulars have mentioned this.

Yeah Redders, it did cross my mind at first that I wouldn't be using my skills and knowledge and that I could slip out of the legal field. But, to be honest, I think it takes more bottle to run your own business (however small and humble) and like you say, you can't beat being your own boss!!

What's the famous phrase? "Where there's muck there's brass". Too true.

T xx

:err: Thought about doing this myself !!

Having same problem finding a Job in Procurement, I have no children but also want to work part time.

A few of my OH mates have asked if i want to clean for them but i would'nt know what to charge, if you dont mind me asking what are you charging.

Good luck with the business !

Liz Griffiths :yes:

Archived