18 y/o LICENSE

Guest Read7

hey all, i hope to take and pass my driving test, at around december time. im then looking at moving to perth at the end of january/beginning of feb. so obviously this means that i will only have 2-3 months of having held a full UK driving licence. my question is, is that do i then have to go on P plates in australia, or am i allowed to just drive normally, what are the rules? also what is a good amount for me to save up for a decent car in pounds prior to moving out there?many thanks.

thanks for that mate, looked on that info page but couldnt find anything? does anyone else know if the p plates rule is set in stone for me? or anyone know the amoubnt of experiance i need before i can drive without any on oz? thanks

Guest OzzieWren

Hi

Sorry - but it is "set in stone" - you will need to display "P" plates until you have had your licence for 2 years - found some useful info on this site -

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/laws_about_driving_legally_in_WA_English.pdf

If you have an overseas driver’s licence but have not held it for 2 or more years, or you are under 19 years of age, you will be issued a provisional licence. Your driver’s licence will show when the provisional driving period ends.

Driving on a provisional licence means that:

a) you must display ‘P’ plates on the front and back of your car when you are driving;

b) you must not drive with any alcohol in your blood;

c) if you have not held a driver’s licence for at least six months (either overseas or in WA) you can not drive between midnight and 5am; and

d) your licence will be cancelled if you commit certain driving offences

However the rules do vary from state to state depending on where in Australia you live.

Hope that helps!

Jen

Archived