£38.66 Debt!!! causing nightmares

Guest cam7445

Guest cam7445

I left the UK in late June cancelling all direct Debits, spending ages writing letters and phoning people to say I no longer wanted various products. I gave my car away to a relative the day before I flew but left the insurance running as it was cheaper than the cancellation fee of £38.66. ESURE in their wisdom automatically renewed my car insurance in september and tried to debit the money, they were unsuccessful. I had written to them in early June (I still have a copy of the letter) to say I didn't want it renewed, but they claim not to have received it. I offered to contact my relative and get them to post a proof of ownership to them, ESURE says this is not acceptable as I have to do it. I explained in great depth that I was on the other side of the world and I didn't plan to return to the UK until 2012 for a holiday. No solution forthcoming. I am now receiving letters (my mail is still being forwarded from my old UK address) from a debt collecting agency threatening county court judgements and to add £200 to the bill for costs if I don't pay it immediately. I have phoned these people, (the calls have cost me more than £38.66) but their solution is pay now sort out later. It is now the principle of the matter that their incompetence is not my problem. Will this haunt me in Australia or can I tell them to stick it?:arghh:

Guest John Sydney

They are buffing - your bill has be "sold" to a debt recovery company who may have paid as little as one pound for your debt - and are working on the percentages of recovering the money.

What I would do is chuck all forwarded letters from them in the bin un opened so you will not get worked up about them They will give up within six months even if they drag you into the court in the UK and win do you think they will sue you in Australian court for 238 pound ? I doubt very much because the cost involved. - I would however keep a copy of your phone bill and letters for a couple of years just to prove you contacted them to tell them to explain the situation if they were stupid enough to try it on in Australia - Most Australia State courts take a dim veiw of debt collection companies.

Even if after six months you returned to the UK - you will not have a major problem re your credit rating

Guest The Pom Queen

I know it's principal of the thing but it may be best just to pay it and it be over, think of the stress it is causing you. Like John says they are not going to chase you to oz for it as it would cost them too much and it doesn't effect your credit rating here.

Guest itskaren
I left the UK in late June cancelling all direct Debits, spending ages writing letters and phoning people to say I no longer wanted various products. I gave my car away to a relative the day before I flew but left the insurance running as it was cheaper than the cancellation fee of £38.66. ESURE in their wisdom automatically renewed my car insurance in september and tried to debit the money, they were unsuccessful. I had written to them in early June (I still have a copy of the letter) to say I didn't want it renewed, but they claim not to have received it. I offered to contact my relative and get them to post a proof of ownership to them, ESURE says this is not acceptable as I have to do it. I explained in great depth that I was on the other side of the world and I didn't plan to return to the UK until 2012 for a holiday. No solution forthcoming. I am now receiving letters (my mail is still being forwarded from my old UK address) from a debt collecting agency threatening county court judgements and to add £200 to the bill for costs if I don't pay it immediately. I have phoned these people, (the calls have cost me more than £38.66) but their solution is pay now sort out later. It is now the principle of the matter that their incompetence is not my problem. Will this haunt me in Australia or can I tell them to stick it?:arghh:

I had a similar experience. To cut a long story short I noted down everything including costs of calls and letters etc (it was their incompetence). I paid 80 pounds to issue a small claims case against for harassment. I had everything refunded and a bunch of flowers from them. I would not pay it.

good luck.

Did you send the letter recorded delivery? If not then you have no proof that they actually received the letter and therefore can't prove that they are being incompetent. Although with previous dealings with insurance companies they probably are.

If you haven't sent it recorded - for the sake of just under £40 I would pay it. Wouldn't like it hanging over my head. If you have sent it recorded then I would do as Karen suggests

Michelle

Guest The Davidsons

Hi there.

As an Insurance Broker, I write with the following advice.

1. Write to Esure again telling them to stop doing this and why. Include a copy if poss of the log bog which shows date of sale.

2 Also include your passport visa, which shows date of arrival in Oz

3 Mention in the letter "Treating Customers Fairly". This is a major focus of the FSA this year and will have Esure thinking about their actions. Also send to the Insurance Ombudsman. The way this works is Esure will be giving one last chance to sort it, then the Ombudsman will step in. Once they do this, it costs the Insurer £250 in costs even if they win which they wont.

Lastly, if the credit agency are being nasty, this will still count against Esure who are not TCF (treating customers fairly) as he will be appointed by them.

This should do it.

Refer to www.fsa.gov.uk for help or send me a PM.

Good luck

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cam7445

Thanks to all that replied, Esure saw sense and have sent the following email:

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to email us on 24th October regarding the cancellation of your policy and the premium we have requested for cover until 22nd August. I understand you intended the policy to be cancelled in June and you are unhappy at the way this matter has been handled.

I am sorry you have been given cause to complain and I am grateful for the patience you have shown during this time. Having reviewed matters I can confirm the policy has been cancelled as requested and we have informed Direct Legal & Collections (DLC) payment is no longer owed. I am disappointed at the time it has taken to bring this matter to a close and the frustration this has obviously caused you. I would like to assure you we are not complacent about situations like this and lessons have been learned. I appreciate this does not change what has happened in your case but this will prevent the same problems occurring in future.

I trust this brings matters to the conclusion you were hoping for. However, should you remain dissatisfied, you can write to our Customer Relations Manager at the following address;

Common sense prevails:yes:

Archived