Poms not wanted on sites???

Guest Tom the Pom

Guest Tom the Pom

I had a bit of a disturbing conversation with a guy who said that Poms are being turned away for jobs on building sites and Australians are going straight on.

He told me of his friend who has just returned from Oz after 3 months (he's a plumber/gas fitter). He went through all the tests and qualifications to work.

He applied for jobs and got the impression that as soon as they heard the UK accent they didn't want to know. It was the same with his Wife as soon as she opened her mouth the job was gone.

What's the deal here???

Are we being victimised for being Poms???

I'm not going to go through all the hassle and expense of getting to Oz if there's going to be nothing there for me!!!

Has anyone else heard anything like this???

I had a bit of a disturbing conversation with a guy who said that Poms are being turned away for jobs on building sites and Australians are going straight on.

He told me of his friend who has just returned from Oz after 3 months (he's a plumber/gas fitter). He went through all the tests and qualifications to work.

He applied for jobs and got the impression that as soon as they heard the UK accent they didn't want to know. It was the same with his Wife as soon as she opened her mouth the job was gone.

What's the deal here???

Are we being victimised for being Poms???

I'm not going to go through all the hassle and expense of getting to Oz if there's going to be nothing there for me!!!

Has anyone else heard anything like this???

Hi T

Cant really comment on tradies but I think they mite have a couple of bags of mccains on their shoulders (chips) havnt experienced owt like that cock but i I have had a bit of bother being on our lasses 457 apparently you are not permanent not that you have brought you pension over and shelled out ****loads on fetching the dog

Hope you can understand oz yorkshire lol

Mally from Kally

Thing is you wont know until you go and find out really.

My oh has telephoned 2 jobs and been offered both, both were Australian guys and one of them even though my oh didnt take the job said to join him for a beer when he arrives and wished us luck in Australia.

We arrive in Brisbane on the 10th December, oh refrigeration/air-con engineer (can do plumbing too) so we shall let you know how it goes.

Guest earlswood
I hope this is just an isolated incident - or we are all up sh!t creek!!!

Tom I think if there are 2 guys of equal standard the foreman will most times will give the job to his own countryman which most would do in the UK and is understandable but plenty of jobs so you will always get work.

Guest Tom the Pom

I have to agree with you there - it happens here too.

The guy in question was nothing short of 'stone walled' from what he said.

They might as well have had a 'NO POMS' sign outside every site.

Oh by the way - he was in Sydney (don't know if it makes a difference???)

Guest earlswood
I have to agree with you there - it happens here too.

The guy in question was nothing short of 'stone walled' from what he said.

They might as well have had a 'NO POMS' sign outside every site.

Oh by the way - he was in Sydney (don't know if it makes a difference???)

A lot of foremen have come to realise that Poms ARE better artisans and when you get to prove it in any state they will keep you on.

Guest Tom the Pom

I suppose it just takes a few Pom haters (might be a rugby/cricket thing) to bugger things up.

I hope for for all of us tradesmen we are welcomed with open arms as opposed to brick walls!!!

I think Australians prefer UK migrants and I speak like an Aussi so have never experienced what it feels like to be different but my oh has a geordie accent and he says he has never experienced any anti brit feeling in the 30 years plus he has lived here. Where he works there are Australians of all nationalities, Turks, German, Brits, Greek Aus NZ to name a few that I remember.

Some migrant groups do tend to employ their own but most just mix in.

Melbourne I feel is a very good place to be a migrant as no-one bothers who people are.

I was told by one Fella that he would not employ a Pom (Plumbing). As he had bad experiance with them on more than one occasion. He was not being Racist, it's just Plumbing in Aus is diffrent and the standards are better regulated.

I had an Interview with a Fella in Adelaide, fitting Central Heating, I did not take the Job, He really did want to take me on. He told me of a bad experiance with a British Heating Engineer. At the end of the day they are business men, and if your good enough to benifit they business they will not care if you have a T*t on your head.

But if there is two equal men for one job The Aussie will get it over the Pom. And you can't blame them for that.

Saying That In the southern states they will take on a British Heating engineer rather than any nationalty, even Aussie. Aussies tend to Shy away from Central Heating I was told.

Good Luck

John

Guest Tom the Pom

I suppose you have to take some peoples comment with a pinch of salt but as a Brit you don't expect to be on the recieving end of racial discrimination.

I'm all for people looking after their own - that's the main reason I'm leaving the UK but surley the Australians have got over the criminal ancestry thing???

Guest kazmatt

this certainly goes on, i phoned a guy about a job, as soon as he heard my accent he did not really want to know, but he took my number anyway, few days later he phoned back, said he only had myself and one aussie apply for the job, he then said i would prefer the other guy to you, but i cant get in contact with him, he said if he could not contact him i could have the job, next day he phoned back, said the guy was not answering his phone, and offered me the job, he was a bit p**sed off, and said if you want a renderer these days you have to wait for one to get of a boat, ( I ARRIVED ON A PLANE ). he told me he hates employing poms because we are lazy when it comes to travelling, an aussie will travell a hundred k`s no problem but poms dont want to go further than 20 k`s, i took this with a pinch of salt and went to work for the guy, what a nob, he had me running round doing all the labouring as well as the render work, asking can i do this or that as if i was stupid, i am english not thick, its not a disability, a did a couple of weeks but it drove me crazy and i left, so yes it goes on.

Guest Tom the Pom
this certainly goes on, i phoned a guy about a job, as soon as he heard my accent he did not really want to know, but he took my number anyway, few days later he phoned back, said he only had myself and one aussie apply for the job, he then said i would prefer the other guy to you, but i cant get in contact with him, he said if he could not contact him i could have the job, next day he phoned back, said the guy was not answering his phone, and offered me the job, he was a bit p**sed off, and said if you want a renderer these days you have to wait for one to get of a boat, ( I ARRIVED ON A PLANE ). he told me he hates employing poms because we are lazy when it comes to travelling, an aussie will travell a hundred k`s no problem but poms dont want to go further than 20 k`s, i took this with a pinch of salt and went to work for the guy, what a nob, he had me running round doing all the labouring as well as the render work, asking can i do this or that as if i was stupid, i am english not thick, its not a disability, a did a couple of weeks but it drove me crazy and i left, so yes it goes on.

I guess this proves what I've been dreading:sad:

I hope this isn't going to be a trend. This is the last thing we need!!!

You will be a foreigner in a foreign country and treated as such at times. As a pom you're considered the best of a bad bunch, but mostly you'll just be another bloke or sheila like everybody else. :biglaugh:

Guest Tom the Pom
You will be a foreigner in a foreign country and treated as such at times. As a pom you're considered the best of a bad bunch, but mostly you'll just be another bloke or sheila like everybody else. :biglaugh:

Your right - I guess it's a bit different when the shoe is on the other foot.

We're used to having a dig at 'our eastern european cousins' and not thinking if we were in their position. We just assume just because they came from here (as criminals many years ago) and we speak the same language (to a point) we will be instantly acepted.

I suppose if I wanted to be surrounded by Brits I could move to Perth or stay here???

As a pom you will have to prove yourself in every thing you do. Aussies do things differently here and they will expect you to do things their way even if it is less efficient. When you start work here you will be expected to know how things are done, NO one will want to show you, NO one will want to know who you are or where you are from. Attempts at conversation will be returned with one word answers (if you're lucky) grunts usualy. The fabled "aussie banter" is usualy unidirectional and it can get ugly if you joke about sport at their expense.

It took me a year to be accepted and it makes me cringe when i see how green horn poms are treated here.

My views based on 16 months working in construction.

Guest kazmatt
Kazmatt, why the hell did you take the job in the first place? He'd have got a swift **** off from me, no matter what the pay.

i know, i should not have taken the job, it was definetley a sign of things to come, but i got revenge, when my wages went into the bank i mixed all the buckets of render ready to put on the wall, then loaded my ute and drove home. i had a little laugh all the way home thinking how they would have come around the corner thinking, where the hell has he gone, and had to do the work themselves.:biglaugh:.

Guest kazmatt
As a pom you will have to prove yourself in every thing you do. Aussies do things differently here and they will expect you to do things their way even if it is less efficient. When you start work here you will be expected to know how things are done, NO one will want to show you, NO one will want to know who you are or where you are from. Attempts at conversation will be returned with one word answers (if you're lucky) grunts usualy. The fabled "aussie banter" is usualy unidirectional and it can get ugly if you joke about sport at their expense.

It took me a year to be accepted and it makes me cringe when i see how green horn poms are treated here.

My views based on 16 months working in construction.

totally agree with you aldo, we sat at smoko ( brew time) every day in silence, questions only answered with one word replies, dont let this put you off, you just have to get used to it i think, i am having trouble doing this, but a lot of people i know, feel the same and just accept it.

Guest earlswood
Your right - I guess it's a bit different when the shoe is on the other foot.

We're used to having a dig at 'our eastern european cousins' and not thinking if we were in their position. We just assume just because they came from here (as criminals many years ago) and we speak the same language (to a point) we will be instantly acepted.

I suppose if I wanted to be surrounded by Brits I could move to Perth or stay here???

Tom, you have a good unbiased head mate....spot on with that one.

yeah i agree, i see all the polish in our area ( southampton is a prime location apparently) and it makes me sad to think we will be treated the same way, if we ever get to oz

I don't agree with our govenments policy on immigrants but I have never taken it out on the Poles or any immigrant. So did not exspect it from the Aussies.

I never put it down too racism just lack of personality on the Aussies part.

At smoko I thought they were having a Alf Stewart moment.

John

Guest Tom the Pom

The term 'policially correct' hasn't reached Oz yet (don't forget they are at least 10 - 15 years behind)

I'm starting to look at things from a completely different angle from when I began this process - apart from taking Oz elecution lessons I guess we are going to be discriminated against.

I never thought of being thought of as less than an equal to who I'm going to be around.

The term 'policially correct' hasn't reached Oz yet (don't forget they are at least 10 - 15 years behind)

I'm starting to look at things from a completely different angle from when I began this process - apart from taking Oz elecution lessons I guess we are going to be discriminated against.

I never thought of being thought of as less than an equal to who I'm going to be around.

Don't think of your self as "less than an equal" you are who you are and don't listen to all the crap about changing just to fit in. Be your self and if they don't like it ............em!

Archived