How does anyone afford to emigrate??

Guest spock

I have a pretty good job here, and our mortgage will be paid off in 11 years. We've been looking into moving to Melbourne for a while now. We could sell our house and buy a decent 3 bed bungalow with the equity. In addition my company may have an office in the CBD soon.

But looking into it further, with the various emigration fees, stamp duty (gasp - how much??) on houses, cars, loans, heaven knows what else, income tax, health insurance, school costs, dental fees, and the many other ways the government have to squeeze money out of an already tight budget, I really don't think I can do it. How does anyone else manage?

We can be quite comfortable in the UK, but it looks like we'd be putting ourselves into debt again for weather-based benefits.

Am I getting this out of proportion, or is it really like this?

Spock.

Hi Spock

Friends of ours are asking the exact same thing she a nurse him a radiographer.

They will be morgage free in 7 years have some equity (not enough to buy outright in Oz) and the idea of them having another mortgage for longer than 7 years has given them cold feet. Plus wages arent as much.

For me and my family medical secretary and heating engineer we dont want much nice (not big) house with pool we are taking £120000 dont want that big a mortgage. The chance to start again, do something different with my life, enjoy my family and spend more time together.

I think we end up paying whether we live in uk or oz our council tax is over £1000 a year, heating bills, petrol is dearer taking the kids out costs a fortune, the beach is free and its not cold and rainy. :D

I just think probably niavely (not that I am an expert) that you swap one bill for another.

Kaye :D

Spock and Wardy ,

At least you are both looking at your situations with logical intent . My first impression in reading both your post was , that was me a few years ago . We made the decision to come to Australia . I have never earned the income I did in England and life is certainly not easier here . Yes , the weather is better , but if we are to believe the scientists , then that is only a temporary thing anyway , and the cool weather of Britain may be like a magnet soon . Would we do it again ? ..... Probably not ! .

Dave

Guest Hayley370

Hi guys, I have to say that unless you are a millionaire or a lottery winner I don't think anyone can afford to emmigrate a bit like you can't afford to have kids!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hope you see what I am getting at! The question is how much you want to do it and what you are willing to sacrifice!

Guest Hayley370

Sorry that sounds a bit scary! I hope you didn't think I meant that you should sacrifice your children!?!?!?! LOL!!!!!!!

Hayley are you tryin to keep Oz to yourself?? ye it costs alot i think without the flight money we didnt have much change from 4,000gbp,but if it had cost double we would have still done it ,and going to the kid thing ,i believe you get paid here when you have one ,,uurrmm !!!!! nah 2 is enough for me.

Cal x

Guest BullCreek_Bob

Melbourne ........ weather-based benefits.

Wow !!!!!

I NEVER thought those words could ever be used in the same post.

Melbourne is not known as "The Manchester of the South" without a good reason. You must live in an area with REALLY bad weather.

Thank you all for your comments. Regarding the weather thing, I'm from Keighley, West Yorkshire and it rains here. But not much else.

Cal, I notice you're in Brisbane, and the stamp duty threshold is 320k - is that just for Queensland, or other states as well? I noticed that Victoria, for example charges the highest stamp duty. Also, does that mean the first 320k of a house price is exempt from stamp, so for a 350k property you only pay stamp on 30k?

Cheers,

Spock.

Melbourne ........ weather-based benefits.

Wow !!!!!

I NEVER thought those words could ever be used in the same post.

Melbourne is not known as "The Manchester of the South" without a good reason. You must live in an area with REALLY bad weather.

I know dozens of expats who have said the same thing. Depends on who you know and what you do. Apart from a smattering of musicians, nearly everyone I know is either a cycle racer or a triathlete ( Brits and Aussies) and nearly all the Brits choose Melb because of the cooler weather means they can train with the same intensity as in the UK. Sydney and the hotter cities are simply too damn hot to train a body that is used to cold. I live in Sydney and my training and racing has suffered badly with the heat and issues of dehydration and even hypernutremia (over hydrating to compensate, which is much worse, can be fatal).

Also depends how much training you're doing of course, the odd ride or jog won't make much difference where you live, but train for an Ironman race (3.8km swim, 180km bike & 42km run) and you're looking at some serious training hours for a year just to get to the start line (most of my friends are 20hrs per week + people, on top of their jobs, kids etc).

Horses for courses I guess.

Guest BullCreek_Bob
Thank you all for your comments. Regarding the weather thing, I'm from Keighley, West Yorkshire and it rains here. But not much else.

Cal, I notice you're in Brisbane, and the stamp duty threshold is 320k - is that just for Queensland, or other states as well? I noticed that Victoria, for example charges the highest stamp duty. Also, does that mean the first 320k of a house price is exempt from stamp, so for a 350k property you only pay stamp on 30k?

Cheers,

Spock.

G'day

According to a stamp duty calculator and assuming first home buyer.

In Qld, stamp duty on a $320K property is $0 , on $350K it's $1,650.

In Vic, stamp duty on a $320K property is $14,860 , on $350K it's $16,660.

In WA, stamp duty on a $320K property is $9,240, on $350K it's $13,200.

I think NSW is $0 for a first timer up to $500k (but that only buys you a dog box in Sydney. At least in any part you'd want to live in! :wink: )

Thanks, that was what I got for Victoria. I was hoping I was wrong - seems a bit excessive.

Cal - I'm going to be watching you on the telly today. The missus said it was a good one.

Spock.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JoanneHattersley

8)

Hayley - you are right with what you said! It all depends what you want out of your life.

My husband and I have been here since feb 2005. We have a mortgage out here but we look at the other aspects of life.

We see each other 2-300% more than we ever did in the UK. We are both shift workers, him a bus driver, me a nurse. Weather is better. Quality of life is better. People are better. you can plan a day out (and actually go!! not like the UK).

Granted , my husband works more hours out here for the same money as in UK. I am earning just under what I earnt in the UK but I am not doing anywhere near the same hours!

Money is not everything and a life without a mortgage is not everything!! Have a good quality of life!! Thats the important thing!!

Jo

Archived