Great news! So why so worried!?

Guest Biggles

Guest Biggles

My wife was offered sponsorship yesterday and we could be in Brisbane by June next year! Yay!!

Then a worrying thing happened. I started thinking about spiders, snakes, fire ants, poisonous toads, crocs, jellyfish and sharks. And suddenly I'm terrified! I'm sure this is just some kind of weird transferrence (i.e. just nervous about emigrating), but I find I can't stop worrying about the wildlife!

Did anyone else experience this? Please tell me you got over it and live a fantastic, worry-free life in Oz!!

:unsure:

worry about it ,,i was having bloomin kittens !!! lol, thankfully after a few weeks here it sank in that werent creepys around every corner waiting to pounc ,infact in 2 years i have seen a dozen huntsmen,1 redback, and 1 snake and im on acerage backing onto the bush !! Crocs are much higher up North ,hence i stay down here,lol, lots of the beaches on the gold coast have shark nets,although i am on pins when hubby goes surfing in Shark Alley !! all in all its not that bad ,you scare yourself mre thinking about them before you arrive,lol.

Cal x

Guest Biggles

That helps sooo much, thanks!!

Do the redbacks and huntsmen keep out of the way or will they attack if they see you!!?? And how painful / serious are they?

This panic is going to ruin everything if I can't get it under control..... :wacko:

they wont bother you unless provoked ,the huntsman will give a nasty bite but isnt going to kill you. Before the days of pest sprays etc people used to allow one or two huntsmen to live around the home as they will eat everything. Daddy long legs do the same so try to keep a few hanging around,lol, they are the most poisioness but not to humans as a daddy long legs 'fangs' arent strong enough to pierce human skin.

the Redbacks are much smaller than i expected ,again they wont kill an adult but a littley may have a battle on their hands if medical treatment isn't sought .

If you saw me on Wanted Down Under you will understand how freaked i am about crawlies,lol, but after only a few months i became sooo hard that i could get near enough to stand on one !!lol, seriously though ,i let my kids run around outside in bare feet, i wouldnt do that if i thought it was too risky.

A good yearly pest spray and you will be fine ,honest.

Cal x

Guest earlswood
they wont bother you unless provoked ,the huntsman will give a nasty bite but isnt going to kill you. Before the days of pest sprays etc people used to allow one or two huntsmen to live around the home as they will eat everything. Daddy long legs do the same so try to keep a few hanging around,lol, they are the most poisioness but not to humans as a daddy long legs 'fangs' arent strong enough to pierce human skin.

the Redbacks are much smaller than i expected ,again they wont kill an adult but a littley may have a battle on their hands if medical treatment isn't sought .

If you saw me on Wanted Down Under you will understand how freaked i am about crawlies,lol, but after only a few months i became sooo hard that i could get near enough to stand on one !!lol, seriously though ,i let my kids run around outside in bare feet, i wouldnt do that if i thought it was too risky.

A good yearly pest spray and you will be fine ,honest.

Cal x

****, I did not know huntsmen and daddy long legs can bite.....:elvis:

Guest charlg87

Hi!

when I moved here five years ago, my family was worried we'd all get eaten by a shark or bitten by a spider.

The first time I saw a snake was when my mum ran it over (we live in a 'country road')

Just look forward, you will love it

charl :)

Guest charlg87

Also, the only time I've been seriously injured by one of these dreaded creatures, was actually in a beach in the UK. I sat on a jellyfish! and apparently it only happened to 3 out of 1,000 people a day. lucky me. Here in Aus, nothing as bad has happened to me!

Probably doesn't help I just thought Id share :)

The redback is more harmful to young ones and older people I believe and there are plenty of ways you can prevent pests in your home etc.

As a Brissie resident I feel very safe and I kinda like huntsmans because they keep pesky bugs away. To be honest the cockroaches and flies are more annoying.

Guest earlswood
Think Aldo forgot to add this was an unusually 'big' spider that was photographed ,hence it made the papers and it was also well up north queensland, Cairns ,i think where everything scarey lives,lol,

Cal x

Yes, but waitt till you see his mom :GEEK:

Guest nareyclan

No at all worried about the wildlife. Nature tells us to fight or flight in these situations. And beside my OH is having kittens enough for both of us LOL. Hope she doesnt see that spider picture. Hopefully it is a one off and not the first of its kind.

Reminded me of a book I read called spider world. Good read, or not if you are an archnaphob

Guest heligan2005

i hate creepy crawlies too, only saw one that really worried me and yep that was up in the rainforest around port douglas. it was like HUGE and a bluey sort of irridescent colour. i was a little worried about the ants in the trees all those curled leaves with zillions of them in. *shudders*

i told myself that at least the spider was where it belonged and wasn't in my bed. a massive cockroach ran over my foot whilst in mcdonalds in sydney.. i nearly pooped myself. other than that i saw nothing, thank goodness. hugs linds x

Archived