Baggage allowance

Guest thedooners

Guest thedooners

Hi everybody

finally booked my flights, going with singapore airlines. Asked about 40kg baggage allowance and there reply was if you have an unvalidated PR visa you just need to present it at the check in and there should be no problem . :skeptical:

can anybody tell me if this is correct

thedooners

hi, yes that is correct we have also booked with them we leave in 6 weeks on sunday, they told us the same and rang again to verify that aslong as your visa is not activated and this is your emigration flight 40 kg is the allowance but you must take the visa letter and present it when checking in .hope this helps and good luck with everything cheers mark and rikki

Guest KP Nuts

Sorry The Dooners, can't answer your question, but on the same subject.....

We are also flying with Singapore, and although you are allowed 40kg's the baggage handler's will only carry 32kg's, so can you then split and have two cases per person, with a total of 40kg's???????

Thanks

KP Nuts

Sorry The Dooners, can't answer your question, but on the same subject.....

We are also flying with Singapore, and although you are allowed 40kg's the baggage handler's will only carry 32kg's, so can you then split and have two cases per person, with a total of 40kg's???????

Thanks

KP Nuts

Hi, YES you can.......you are travelling on the weight not the "piece" system.....piece only comes into play if you are travelling via USA SO with Singapore as long as you have not activated your Visa and it is a PR Visa then you can have 40k split between 2 bags and 7kg of Hand luggage

Guest prettyinpink

Yes, please be careful on this, Ali is right. If you travel on a temporary visa your baggage allowance is only 20kg. Permanent visas allow the extra baggage allowance. I have heard of people who were told they could have extra baggage allowance on a perm visa, but then when they presented at check in they were told allowance is 20kg and had to pay excess baggage fee. The advice I have heard is to get the extra baggage allowance in writing (email) from whoever you are booking with. I'm not sure if this is true, but it might be worth it.

Having said that we found Singapore Airlines to be very good when we flew to Perth. When do you arrive and will you have access to the net straight away?

Hi, For everyone struggling to fit everything in, we used a company called Personal Porter to send a case on ahead of us. It wasn't too expensive, took the worry out of things and worked at treat. Here's the link Personal Porter - Home Good luck everyone. Jo

Guest thedooners
Yes, please be careful on this, Ali is right. If you travel on a temporary visa your baggage allowance is only 20kg. Permanent visas allow the extra baggage allowance. I have heard of people who were told they could have extra baggage allowance on a perm visa, but then when they presented at check in they were told allowance is 20kg and had to pay excess baggage fee. The advice I have heard is to get the extra baggage allowance in writing (email) from whoever you are booking with. I'm not sure if this is true, but it might be worth it.

Having said that we found Singapore Airlines to be very good when we flew to Perth. When do you arrive and will you have access to the net straight away?

Hi prettyinpink

I arrive 12th nov :biglaugh: and will have to see about internet when i arrive at house

cheers for all your replies

thedooners

Guest sazzle76

Does this luggage allowance only apply if you have booked a one way flight??

We will be booking a return to validate our PR visa as hoping to trial for a few months first before letting our UK house go.

Guest prettyinpink
Does this luggage allowance only apply if you have booked a one way flight??

We will be booking a return to validate our PR visa as hoping to trial for a few months first before letting our UK house go.

I had been led to believe it was only if you have a 1 way ticket, but it may be advisable to check with your airline and confirm.

Archived