12 days to find a rental?

neilo

hi how easy is it to find a rental in brisbane? we have a hoilday let for 12 days then we need to have a 6 month rental agreement or else were sleeping on the beach!!! going with kids so could really do with some advice HELP!!

Guest Scardycat

My daughter arrived in Oz on the 12th September, she got the key to a rental on Oct. 6th. She has found one in North Lakes (North of Brisbane) I don't think she looked at any for the first week though as she was staying at her brothers house. She said they were being shown houses with 5 or 6 other couples then you had to put in an application and the owner decides who to give it to, she had applied for 2 or 3 before she got accepted for this one, The way I understand it it is not as easy as getting a rental in the UK, she did take a day out here and there to take the kids out as they were getting really bored just house hunting all the time.

wishing you good luck for you new future in Oz:wubclub:

Cat

thanks for replying-this is my worry but is there an alternative? found it difficult to get the holiday rental as we fly out on the 27th of nov and it was only available for 12 days! has anyone else done this? and did you end up sleeping on the beach??

Hi Neilo,

I've heard that offering quite a bit of rent up front (i.e over and above the normal say 4 months plus worth) tends to get you to the front of queue if you can afford it, if not we found quite a few reasonably priced motels and holiday parks. We've booked a motel for 3 weeks north of Brisbane right on the beach over Christmas and New Year and its $400 pw which is pretty good we reckon for peak holiday time - there were quite a few cheaper than that too, so with any luck you won't have to sleep on the beach!

Cheers

Hi mate we didn't use a website as such cos found them to be a bit useless for our budget! We found the local tourist office and local council websites the most useful. Which part of Brisbane are you going to? If you're heading north checking out The Waltzing Matilda motel (think was about $60 per night) in Redcliffe, the Pale Pacific Motel & units (about $80 per night) or theres also Headstart Homestay which is run by Dale & Fran who post on here.

Cheers

thanks for the advice-after a troubled night of talk and not a lot of sleep-we have decided to go with our plan a. which is go next june after kids have done exams etc.want to find a 4 week rental to begin with, and not rush to find something more permanent at the busiest time of the year in oz-cant do that to the kids-there expecting a normalish kinda christmas not homeless in oz kind feeling less stressed now!!

Archived