iceland bank has my money...oh joy!

Guest melissa

Guest melissa

Last saturday i put £50,000 from our house sale in Kaupthing edge, an icelandic bank. That was a good decision Dazza! Now they've gone boobies up. What a result.

Any bankers out there fancy a fight.:arghh:

I did a chaps transfer last night, but it didn't go through today, and their phones were engaged all day, surprise surprise. I'll sleep well tonight.

Darren.

Please can someone tell us what's happening with the UK banks? Are they not allowing CHAPS payments, etc? Could this be why our UK agent hasn't paid the shipper and they're telling us they're not releasing our goods? Or am I just picking up stompies here???

Guest driver_diver

hi Melissa, Gordon Brown did say that the uk will if necessary take legal action against Iceland to secure uk investors funds, turns out since then that at least 20 local authorities have dosh in Iceland too! let battle commence, i wouldnt worry too much im sure youll get it back when things settle a bit.

Guest HappyBunny
Last saturday i put £50,000 from our house sale in Kaupthing edge, an icelandic bank. That was a good decision Dazza! Now they've gone boobies up. What a result.

Any bankers out there fancy a fight.:arghh:

I did a chaps transfer last night, but it didn't go through today, and their phones were engaged all day, surprise surprise. I'll sleep well tonight.

Darren.

I can't imagine how worried you must be right now, fingers crossed that driver_diver's right and you get all your money back x

Guest zambezi15

Gosh, I feel for you, traumatic, thats stress level at an all time high, you must have been relieved to hear Gordon Brown is covering savings upto £50,000 with them, so you should be OK. That's one thing must say impressed me about the UK, it was the first to make sure some effort was made to protect the British Publics deposits. Question is does Australia offer that facility for those of you who have transferred your money across already. The housing market is dead here, you sold just in time. Weve dropped our price, in fact its now below replacement building cost because its big and still no nibbles. Wonder if we can do a house ownership swop with someone in Aussie. Agent told me not to be in a hurry to rent the place out, lots of tenants are defaulting, and because of the economic climate they are being treated very 'gently' and can end up being in your house for months and months without paying. So we could be here quite awhile still.

Agent told me not to be in a hurry to rent the place out, lots of tenants are defaulting, and because of the economic climate they are being treated very 'gently' and can end up being in your house for months and months without paying. So we could be here quite awhile still.

Are you sure the agent doesn't have a hidden agenda? Is this the EA trying to sell it? It's not in their interests for you to go to the rental market.

You can take out an insurance against tenents defaulting if you are really worried, but with a short-term assured tenency you are pretty well covered anyway, although court proceding to evict them from the other side of the world wouldn't be fun :arghh:

We will be renting a house out and I certainly wouldn't choose to be in that situation so it depends howpressing your reasons for getting to Oz are - we both have job offers, OH is 43 and DS will start Primary 1 in Feb there so now is the right time for us to go in all other ways!

Jules

We managed to get through to them, they have not collapsed, they have been effectivley taken over by ING. We made a chaps withdrawal monday night for the full amount and they say it is simply backlog that is holding up the payment. Our account with them says the balance is £0.00. Their website says they are now part of ING which is a big Dutch Savings bank. So we are luckier than a lot of people i suppose.

Hopefully we should get it soon, and i can go and but that sports car!

Thanks for your concern

Darre & Mel

Archived