Bank Guarantees

Guest nareyclan

Guest nareyclan

With the banker community in turmoil and the Australian exchange rate creeping up beyond $2.35. We are seriously concidering changing our savings over into Australian bank account and cashing in on the high rate of exchange prior to or move next year. We are however concerned about savings guarantees.

The UK guarantee is for upto £50000 now. Is there a banking crisis in Australia? Are savings guaranteed there and if so does this apply to non Australians?

Please help:err:

The Australian banks are more regulated & better capitalised than U.S & European banks

At least that is what the politions claim.

But I would not put all my eggs in one basket if I were transferring my life savings.

There is no garantee for savings at all !:policeman:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/31505-our-money-safe-35k-safety-net-uk.html

Guest johno1

We were, last week, told by the Commonwealth Bank (who we have opened an account with), that at present, the Australian Government does not gaurantee any savings in the event of a bank going 'bust.'

We had opened a Halifax high interest savings account to put our house money In and obviously, we were a little concerned about this!!

I think for now, we ,may leave the bulk of it in several uk accounts..at least it is protected here, and just transfer living costs from our savings :spinny: nothing worth doing is ever easy...

Guest nareyclan
We were, last week, told by the Commonwealth Bank (who we have opened an account with), that at present, the Australian Government does not gaurantee any savings in the event of a bank going 'bust.'

We had opened a Halifax high interest savings account to put our house money In and obviously, we were a little concerned about this!!

I think for now, we ,may leave the bulk of it in several uk accounts..at least it is protected here, and just transfer living costs from our savings :spinny: nothing worth doing is ever easy...

Johno thanks for that information. I too think tha t the short term benefit to be gained by transferring our life savings into doolars needs to be considered seriously and the guarantees offered here are assurance enough for us to bide our time until the visa is issued at least.

Archived