Snakes at Schools and in Gardens

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi All

Just a quick reminder to please make your children aware of snakes around your garden and at schools. Today at my sons school there was a Tiger Snake and some of the children were taunting it with sticks, unfortunately these children are new to Australia and are obviously not aware of the danger they face. Most of Australias snakes are venomous and can prove fatal.

Saying this I have not seen a snake (apart from working with Wildlife Victoria) in the 4 years I have been here, yes I know they are around but they usually keep away from people.:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

Umm it's quite worrying and something that can easily be overlooked. This summer will be bad especially with the drought as they come out looking for food. Wildlife Victoria had more calls than ever last year, and we expect this one to be worse.

Also watch for them in QLD my friend phoned me on the weekend lives Cleveland and they had two brown snakes in their garden round her washing line.

I have only seen one in our garden in 20 years we have lived here but I am always careful in the garden wear proper shoes and socks and gloves. Most important proper shoes and clothing if you go into the bush.

Guest angiebabe
Hi All

Just a quick reminder to please make your children aware of snakes around your garden and at schools. Today at my sons school there was a Tiger Snake and some of the children were taunting it with sticks, unfortunately these children are new to Australia and are obviously not aware of the danger they face. Most of Australias snakes are venomous and can prove fatal.

Saying this I have not seen a snake (apart from working with Wildlife Victoria) in the 4 years I have been here, yes I know they are around but they usually keep away from people.:wubclub:

Wasn't Dillon was it...lol

No seriously good point to make, as our children haven't grown up being made aware of the danger, they can easily forget.

Guest donovan

Great point I know last year there was a snake in one of our schools, and the teachers just ushered the kids by. When in drought they come looking for water & food so just be aware, this year is gonna be a hot summer (so im told)

Sarah x

We didn't see any in a garden or school, but saw one at Rottnest Island being chased and attacked by a Lizard. The Lizard actually chased it until it fell down the bank towards the beach. Not sure, what happened after that, (we didn't hang around), but the dangers are everywhere.

Our kids just stood and watched at first, til we moved them away, but other kids and a Mum were screaming and running in the same direction that the snake & lizard were going! They just got into such a panic.

You've got to be on your guard all the time, but know to keep calm (otherwise it could make things worse).

Tracey

Archived