Successful HGV drivers making it to Oz!

Guest tilly01

Guest tilly01

Hi all,

My hubby (Brett 25), son (4 mths) and I (Gem 26) are looking to move to Brisbane. Brett is a carpet fitter and I have a degree in Graphic Design. We have been advised that we could apply for the 457 route through Brett - all sounds great - but… my parents (dad 50 and mum 52) and young brother (12) are also considering the move. Only problem is that dad only has his Class 1 HGV license.

We've been told that he could probably get a job working for the mining industry and any other kind of driving job is pretty much a no go area if a sponsor is needed. I'm looking for any HGV truckers out there who have successfully made it to Oz through this 457 route please and if anyone has any advise we'd be soooooooo grateful! We'd love to know the area that we would be needing to move (ie North or South?) and any companies that we could get in touch with please? Actually, any advise would be nice!

We look forward to hearing from anyone soon to help untangle the knots of confusion in myy head!! :wacko:

Guest christel

Hey..read your post and its a difficult one and Im not sure many would like to answer..its great you want to come here but you have to look at things seriously and talk to someone in the know, i mean a professional, not gossip like here lol..you may find that you and your family will be ok..but your parents may struggle as HGV is not a qualification over here and his age may also be against him..as far as I know you would have to have $700k plus (cash) for non qualifieds over a certain age just to come in under your own steam so to speak.

Really the best thing you can do is go to www.immi.gov.au and see where you or your husband are needed i.e. what state and also for your dads position, look at what they are saying on that age group and what maybe avaialble. For your best option for you and your dad dont focus on capital cities as things are becoming tight here, the credit crunch may well impact on immigrants and city life.

Like I have said, I would seek the services of a professional on this one..HGV drivers are not in short supply and they drive 5 days solid interstate with no rest really - does your father really want to do that at his age...there may well be another route avaialble to him but you just havent found it yet, but dont loose sight of the fact you want to come..and that you can make it happen for all of you x

Guest tilly01

Hi Christel, thanks so much for your reply. I think we do need to seek advise from a professional. I know my dad was waiting for a callback from Go Matilda as they seem to have a good rep on here. Hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on the situ!

I'm worrying that we'll be able to make it and they won't but as you said there may be a route available that we don't know about yet (hopefully we'll come across it soon!). A route that I thought of was hubby, baby and I going over and after 2 years (I think that's the timescale) sponsoring parents and bro to come over on a parent sponsorship visa, but haven't looked into this one at all yet - one visa at a time! Thanks again, who knows there may be a professional reading this thread who can offer some info too - we need all the advise we can get! :) xx

Guest christel

Hey Tilly..yep, get yours sorted and then agree go in the direction of getting your parents here, once your here you can get a migration agent or advice here because they have better contacts (speaking from experience), like I said dont give up..lots of parents come over and dont have a problem, where theres a will theres a way !...No...means, not just yet in my book lol x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Tilly

Please slow down a little.

Does Brett have any formal carpet-fitting qualifications and has he done an apprenticeship of any sort (formal or informal?) How long has he been working as a carpet fitter, please?

With regard to your parents, please do not rely on old threads about HGV drivers. The legislation with regard to HGV drivers was changed on 1st August 2008 so any threads before that date are out of date, irrelevant and should not be relied on.

The new law is that HGV drivers can be sponsored for visas provided that they are Heavy Truck Drivers and they will be working in the mines or the construction industry in *regional* Australia. It is unlikely that DIAC would agree that somebody is a Heavy Truck Driver unless he has an Australian licence that covers him to drive Heavy Trucks.

There might be jobs way out in the Regions, miles from Perth. However wherever there is a reasonably large town there are also likely to be home-grown Heavy Truck drivers driving the relevant trucks: it would be difficult for the would-be employer sponsor to prove that he cannot get a local driver for the job, I suspect.

You cannot make any plans for Parent visas for your Parents until you are sure about how you would get Permanent Residency in Oz, because you cannot sponsor them for Parent migration unless and until you are a settled Permanent Resident. The 457 visa is only a temporary visa, so it is not ideal if you want your Parents to be able to move to Oz permanently and reasonably soon.

I suspect that a better strategy, unless Brett already has enough work experience, has done a proper apprenticeship and he holds adequate British carpet laying qualifications might be as follows:

Brett may be able to do a workplace-based skills assessment leading to the award of the Australian AQF III qualification. TFIA is the relevant trade skills association for carpet-fitters:

Council of Textile and Fashion Industries of Australia Limited - Training

Our member Jason (user-name Stacybird123) has recently obtained his AQF III via TFIA. You could contact him if you wish, via this link:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/stacybird123.html

Please also see these threads which he started:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/41294-got-my-aqf-level-3-certificate-yes.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/44330-online-application.html

Jason is a really nice guy so I am sure he would be happy to help and advise Brett if you ask.

If Brett can get the AQF III then he might be able to obtain Permanent Residency in Oz from the outset and if not then at least without necessarily having to wait for a minimum of two years before he can even apply. Even if this takes longer, he is only 25 now so you would have plenty of time to save up.

If you can get PR from day one then the sooner you would be able to sponsor your Parents for a Parent or Contributory Parent visa, which is probably the best bet for them.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived